No matter how you like your eggs in the morning, you’ll probably need a spatula to prepare them.
Fried eggs and omelets require careful lifting with a suitably sized and angled spatula to ensure they make it out of the pan in one piece. In most cases, your standard, flat spatula won’t do the job properly.
Without the right spatula, you’re likely to find yourself faced with broken or dropped eggs. Even if you manage to get your eggs safely out of the pan and onto your plate, the process will probably take you longer and be far more difficult than it needs to be. ML skin injector
For these reasons, we’ve conducted extensive research into the spatulas currently available on the culinary market and narrowed the selection down to the top 5 best spatulas for eggs.
Don’t forget to check out our Key Criteria guide first for insight into how we have rated and ranked our top 5 products.
The following criteria are what we consider to be the most important factors for consideration when buying a spatula specifically for eggs.
In this section, we’ll be discussing the best materials, heat resistance ratings, ergonomic features, and ease of cleaning.
There are several materials you might find incorporated into the construction of any given egg spatula.
Many spatulas use stainless steel as the foundation material, running from the handle into the blade. This can be a great feature when it comes to durability and easy cleaning, although there is a risk that a stainless steel handle might get too hot during the cooking process, resulting in an elevated burn risk.
Moreover, most spatulas that use stainless steel do not have a one-piece construction because other materials (such as silicone) need to be applied over the top.
If any damage occurs, this can create cracks between the different components of the spatula, giving food remnants and bacteria a way to thrive.
For this reason, many people prefer a one-piece spatula. In this case, it’s most likely that the spatula will be made entirely from either nylon, silicone, or exoglass.
Silicone is a very popular spatula material because it is non-stick, dishwasher safe, and flexible.
Meanwhile, nylon is also a common choice for spatulas because it is durable and, again, usually dishwasher safe. However, nylon spatulas typically have lower heat resistance (more on this below).
If you want the most durable spatula money can buy, we recommend an exoglass spatula. Exoglass is made of fiberglass and plastic resin, so it’s extra strong as well as heat-resistant.
Admittedly, an exoglass spatula is likely to cost you significantly more than your average nylon or silicone spatula, but if you have the money to spend and want a spatula that will last you for many years, without sustaining damage, it’s the best choice.
We’ve briefly touched on the aspect of heat resistance already, but we haven’t yet explained why this is so important.
It’s quite common for spatulas to melt and get stuck to hot pans when high temperatures are reached during cooking. Not only is this likely to result in a ruined spatula and pan, but it will also mean that you have to throw out the eggs you’re making and start again.
Heat resistance ratings for spatulas can range significantly, but in high-quality spatulas, heat resistance typically starts at about 400°F. However, some spatulas can withstand heat levels up to and over 600°F.
With that being said, please bear in mind that the heat resistance rating advertised on a spatula may not refer to the handle in addition to the blade.
For this reason, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and not leave your spatula resting against the edge of the pan for any length of time.
A good spatula for eggs should be as ergonomic as possible to make the delicate task of lifting and flipping an egg a little easier.
First, it helps if the spatula is angled so that you can easily slide the blade under the egg and lift without having to angle the blade yourself.
Ideally, the spatula should also be as flexible as possible so that if you need to bend the spatula in any way to facilitate easy lifting and flipping, you can do so without risking damaging your spatula.
If you notice that you sometimes struggle to keep an egg on your spatula due to excess oil, a slotted spatula or one with holes in it will help to drain away this oil.
These features also help to avoid transferring lots of unneeded and potentially unpalatable oil onto your plate. However, this may prevent you from lubricating your spatula sufficiently to prevent sticking at high temperatures.
It’s helpful if the handle of your spatula is long and thick to ensure both durability and adjustability in terms of your hand placement. A soft grip also goes a long way towards ensuring that your spatula won’t cause you any discomfort.
We’ve also found that tapering at the edge of the spatula’s blade makes it much easier to slide the spatula under your egg in one motion.
Not all spatulas are safe to put in the dishwasher. So, if you’re someone who doesn’t usually like to wash cooking utensils by hand, it’s important to check whether a spatula is dishwasher safe before buying it.
Materials such as silicone and nylon are usually dishwasher safe, but your spatula may also have other materials involved in its construction which may not be.
Therefore, it’s best not to assume dishwasher friendliness based on the main material used in the construction of the spatula. Instead, double-check the product guidelines.
If you want a spatula that is easy to wash by hand, prioritize materials that are easy to wipe clean with a sponge and warm, soapy water. All the most common spatula materials, including stainless steel, nylon, and silicone, can be easily hand-washed.
Best Spatula For Eggs
1. Best Overall: DI ORO Chef Series Standard Flexible Silicone Turner Spatula
We have been so impressed with the Di Oro Chef Series Standard Flexible Silicone Turner Spatula that we’ve chosen it as our best overall pick.
Di Oro is a U.S.-based brand specializing in cooking utensils. The company’s spatulas have won prestigious awards, including the ‘Best Spatula’ award from America’s Test Kitchen.
The Chef Series Standard Flexible Silicone Turner Spatula is made primarily of stainless steel, which makes it feel lightweight while remaining tough and resistant to wear.
Meanwhile, the silicone blade of the spatula provides a non-stick surface to slide underneath your eggs or omelets. It’s very flexible, so you’ll never be constrained by angles, and the tapered edge makes it much easier to maneuver the spatula underneath the egg in one, smooth motion.
The handle of this spatula is relatively long and very smooth, providing a comfortable and stable grip. This is essential for ergonomic spatula use.
The blade of the spatula is resistant to heat up to 600°F, so you’ll never have to worry about the blade getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Our main criticism of this spatula, however, is the fact that the handle does not have the same heat-resistant properties, so please avoid letting the handle rest against the edge of your frying pan while cooking.
- Stainless steel construction: Lightweight but strong
- Silicone blade: Non-stick and flexible
- Tapered edge: Easy lifting
- Long and smooth handle: Comfortable grip
- Heat-resistant: Withstands heat up to 600°F
- Handle less heat-resistant than blade: Avoid resting against edge of pan
- THE HIGH PERFORMANCE TURNER SPATULA – Old plastic spatulas are made of inferior materials that easily damage under heavy kitchen use. The DI ORO Chef Series Standard Turner is constructed with heavy-duty stainless steel technology that is encased with nonstick 600°F food-grade silicone. Our BPA free silicone will not scratch or damage your nonstick cookware. You will quickly see why customers rave about this useful and dependable turner after the first time you use it.
- SETTING THE STANDARD FOR TURNERS – Unlike cheap and underperforming spatulas, our turner has been thoroughly tested by professional and home chefs all over the world. Our thin and beveled spatula blade makes sliding under an egg effortless and flipping your food a breeze. This must-have spatula strikes the right balance between strength and flexibility, and has the anatomy of a winner.
- PERFECTLY SIZED & ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED – We guarantee your old outdated spatulas have met there match and will be tossed in the garbage after you use the 11.8 inch long Standard Turner. Our customized pro grip includes a perfectly shaped indent for thumbs of all sizes to give you maximum control while you sauté, flip, serve, and fold the meals and desserts you and your family love.
- HASSLE FREE CLEAN-UP – Your time is valuable, and that is why we have created a turner that is easy to clean by hand, dishwasher safe, and made without cracks or crevices to trap unwanted food and grime. Our expert design ensures safe and healthy cooking while making clean-up a quick and painless process. Spend more time doing what you love and less time in the kitchen cleaning.
- WHAT SETS US APART – Unlike other brands aiming to just sell a product to their customers, at DI ORO we aim to provide years of lasting memories and positive experiences in your home for you and your family. Our customers mean everything to us, so we have set the bar with our Forever Warranty and second to none customer service. We will replace any damaged or defective product for free or provide a full refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase, forever.
2. Runner-Up: Tenta Kitchen Nonstick Thin Slotted Egg Spatula
In our runner-up spot, we have the Nonstick Thin Slotted Egg Spatula from Tenta Kitchen.
The thick, stainless steel handle of the Tenta Kitchen spatula makes it comfortable to hold for significant lengths of time. The thickness of the handle also makes it more wear-resistant, while the nature of stainless steel ensures that the spatula is easy to wipe clean.
In contrast to the spatula’s handle, the blade is thin, making it easier to get the spatula underneath your egg or omelet. The blade is also long and wide, making it suitable for lifting and flipping larger eggs or egg-based dishes.
Thanks to the slots running down the length of the blade, any excess oil or grease will drain through the spatula as you lift your eggs, preventing the transfer of oil from the pan to your plate.
Something else worth mentioning about this spatula is the fact that it is resistant to heat levels up to 410°F.
Unfortunately, the Tenta Kitchen spatula is not dishwasher safe, so it should not be machine-washed. As we mentioned previously, however, the stainless steel element of the construction is very easy to wipe clean, so hand washing this spatula shouldn’t be too much of a chore.
- Thick stainless steel handle: Ergonomic, wear-resistant, and easy to clean
- Wide, thin blade: Effortless sliding and lifting
- Slotted design: Drains excess oil
- 410°F heat resistance: High melting point
- Not dishwasher safe: Clean by hand
- NEW HANDLE: Eliminate old style three-section handle,Changed to the long and thickness quality stainless steel handle solves the problem that the old handle is too short and inconvenient to operate (4.92 Inch changed to 5.32 Inch), stainless steel thickness from 0.26mm changed to 0.5mm, Not easy to deform or dent.
- EASY USE : The wide thin edge(0.02" thickness) but durable nylon blade does the turner job perfectly--Easy insert to between food and pans, Perfect for flipping longer foods like omelettes, Idea for cooking fish, filets, seafood cakes, egg, dumplings, meat and more.
- TEMPERATURE: Heat resistant up to 410℉ for non-stick pan, so not suitable for stainless pan,iron pan which will over 410℉ during cooking time.Slotted spatula turner head drains excess grease back into the pan and perfect angle for delicate food. Easy to filter the oil out when frying foods, over 12.6 inch length.
- SPECIFICATION: Size: 12.6*5*0.6inch, Weight: 0.18LBS; Don't recommend use dishwasher. light weighted but stury & utility for cooking, easy to use and clean;
- QUALITY GURANTEE: 100% quality guarantee, no-hassle free-replacement guarantee .
3. Best Budget: OXO Black Good Grips Nylon Flexible Turner
If you thought getting a good spatula for eggs would mean spending a lot of money on premium-priced utensils, think again! This OXO Black Good Grips Nylon Flexible Turner is budget-friendly and also perfect for eggs.
OXO, as a brand, is dedicated to manufacturing quality homeware and kitchenware that won’t break the bank. OXO’s goal is to make typically difficult tasks around the home and kitchen easier through innovative and ergonomic utensils.
The company has been in business for over 30 years, and donates 1% of its revenue to non-profits that tackle environmental issues.
OXO’s Black Good Grips Nylon Flexible Turner consists of a thin nylon blade, which delivers flexibility and ergonomic use.
Levering the spatula underneath an egg or omelet is easy, and the soft-grip handle makes the process even easier. Hand fatigue and discomfort are minimized, so making eggs never needs to feel like a chore again!
This spatula is heat-resistant up to the point of 400°F, which means that the risk of melting against the pan during cooking is greatly reduced.
However, we did notice that if you don’t use enough oil in the cooking process, the nylon blade can stick to the egg whites. This can be rectified by coating the spatula in oil before use.
- Thin nylon blade: Flexible and ergonomic
- Soft grip handle: Comfortable to use
- 400°F heat resistance: Minimized melting risk
- Dishwasher-compatible: Effortless cleaning
- Blade sometimes sticks to egg: Coat with oil prior to use
- Flexible head slides easily beneath delicate food
- Heat resistant up to 450F
- Safe for non-stick cookware
- Soft, comfortable, non-slip handle
4. Best Premium: Matfer Bourgeat Exoglass Pelton Slotted Spatula
If you don’t have a strict budget to stick to and are prepared to spend more for a better egg cooking experience, we recommend this more high-end spatula from Matfer Bourgeat.
Matfer Bourgeat is a French kitchenware manufacturer that has been established for over 200 years. The utensils manufactured by Matfer Bourgeat are of professional quality, but they’re accessible enough for home use, too.
The single-piece construction of this spatula helps to ensure that there are no weak areas in the construction, enhancing durability and longevity.
Matfer Bourgeat’s spatula is made of exoglass, which is a material that consists of a blend of fiberglass and resin. As a result, the spatula is highly durable, non-stick, and can easily be cleaned by hand.
The handle, which is precisely angled, makes it easier to lift your egg ergonomically from the pan, while the slots in the spatula blade allow for oil and grease to drain away rather than pooling on your plate.
You can safely use this spatula at temperatures up to 430°F without worrying about it melting to the pan. However, at higher temperatures, we noticed some egg sticking to the edge of the blade, so make sure to top up the oil in your pan and on your spatula before attempting to lift.
- Single-piece construction: No weak points
- Made of exoglass: Strong, non-stick, and easy to clean
- Angled handle: Easy leverage
- Slotted design: Drains grease and oil
- Heat resistant to 430°F: Resistant to melting
- Some sticking at the edge of the blade: Use plenty of oil
- AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN RECOMMENDED: Flexible, durable, and made of patented Exoglass material, America's Test Kitchen awarded as the top spatula safe for nonstick pans.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: Comprised of one-piece Exoglass material, developed by Matfer, making this spatula highly durable, non-stick, non-porous, and easy to sterilize
- HEAT RESISTANT: Can be used with temperatures up to 430°F
- MADE IN FRANCE: Ensures high standards for durability, performance, and hygiene for both commercial and residential use
- AVAILABLE IN 5 COLORS: This spatula is available in Black, Grey, Blue, Red, Purple; Each is sold separately
5. Highly Commended: Sommelier MSC International Egg Spatula
Finally, the Sommelier MSC International Egg Spatula is also a great investment if you want an easier time cooking your eggs.
This MSC International spatula is from the subbranch Joie. Joie has been in business for over 60 years, and in that time, the brand has sold thousands of kitchen utensils designed to make cooking simpler.
This compact spatula is portable and lightweight, so it won’t take up too much space in your kitchen, and you can bring it with you wherever you might need to prepare eggs.
The spatula is made of nylon, which is a durable and non-stick material perfect for spatula construction. The nylon material has a heat resistance rating of up to 400°F, so there’s no need to worry about the spatula melting against the pan.
As you’ll notice, the blade of the spatula has several large holes in it to allow excess oil to run back into the pan as you maneuver your eggs. This prevents the spatula from getting too slippery and also minimizes the amount of oil you’ll transfer to your plate in the process.
The only drawback to this spatula is that it’s not safe for dishwasher use, so you’ll need to clean it by hand before and after each use.
- Nylon construction: Durable and non-stick
- 400°F heat resistance: Not likely to melt
- Hole design: Drains away grease
- Compact size: Lightweight and portable
- Not dishwasher safe: Wash by hand
- DESIGNED FOR SKILLET USE: This material (nylon) can be placed on your skillet for a quick and healthy fried egg, helping to flip them for even cooking.
- EASY TO USE: Just crack your egg into the skillet, using your own skill set to handle the rest for a delicious dish.
- Heat resistant up to 400 degrees.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: Before the first use and after each use, wash in hot soapy water to disinfect and leave it ready for your next breakfast.
- Compact Size: measures 2 x 3 x 8 inches
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a regular spatula for cooking eggs?
Your average, flat spatula simply won’t be as effective as the spatulas featured in this article when it comes to flipping and lifting eggs and omelets.
Pan-fried egg dishes are notoriously fragile and difficult to maneuver without breakage. Therefore, if you want the best results, you should invest in a spatula that is designed specifically to lift and flip eggs.
How can I make sure my spatula doesn’t melt?
If you want to avoid a sticky, plastic mess glued to the bottom of your frying pan, the first step is to choose a spatula that is resistant to high temperatures.
There is a misconception surrounding spatula construction that silicone spatulas will always melt and stick to the pan. This is not necessarily the case, however.
The most important thing to look for in a spatula if you want to avoid melting accidents is temperature resistance.
You should see a maximum number for temperature resistance in the product information, which is usually expressed in degrees Fahrenheit. This is the maximum temperature at which you’ll be able to use the spatula and not cause it to melt.
Additionally, it’s a good idea to be vigilant when using a spatula for cooking eggs, even if it has high temperature resistance. In some cases, the temperature resistance rating applies only to the blade and not to the handle, so the handle might still melt against the edge of the pan if you leave it unattended.