Ceramic doesn’t automatically sound like a material that should be used to create a knife. Often, we associate it with delicate decorations. However, ceramic has an incredible sharpness, and a lightweight balance, that makes a surprisingly great knife blade.
Choosing the best ceramic knife can seem an overwhelming prospect. A bad ceramic knife won’t sit right in the hand, the blade will dull quickly, and it will chip on even soft fruits. The best ceramic knives become an essential part of the kitchen after just one use.
Brands such as Kyocera and Vos are well known for creating high-quality ceramic knives, but they do come with a large price tag. Other brands, such as WACOOL and Cuisinart, are trying to make ceramic knives a more accessible option.
Meanwhile, newer companies such as Cestari are hoping to make a name for themselves. In this guide, we compare these brands using key criteria, to determine which ceramic knives really are the best.
Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 5 ½ inch Santoku Knife
Vos 8-inch Ceramic Chef Knife
Cestari 6-inch Serrated Ceramic Knife
WACOOL Ceramic Knife Set 3-Piece
Cuisinart Advantage Color Collection 12-piece Knife Set
Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 5 ½ inch Santoku Knife
WACOOL Ceramic Knife Set 3-Piece
Key Criteria for best Ceramic Knives
The size of a blade determines what the knife can be comfortably used for, and how versatile the knife may be in the kitchen. We’ve reviewed both sets and single knives, to see just how important size is when choosing a ceramic knife.
Balance and Comfort
The balance of the knife refers to the weight of the blade and the handle. When chopping, a well-balanced knife will feel comfortable, and easy to use.
One of the major advantages of a ceramic knife is it’s generally lighter to use than a steel knife. This gives the knife a wonderful balance and an even weight distribution in the hand.
Blade Quality and Sharpness
Probably the single most important feature of any knife is the blade, and this remains true for ceramic knives. The blade has to be sharp, and it has to be strong.
A ceramic knife should be able to slice through a tomato with only a slight application of pressure, and the cut should be smooth. A good knife doesn’t crush.
How useful is it?
Although we may all dream of having the perfect knife for every occasion, most kitchens (and budgets) simply can’t accommodate this.
A key point in determining which ceramic knife (or set) is the best, is seeing just how useful it is. The best knives are suitable for a range of purposes, and many types of ingredients.
While perhaps not key, the addition of a sheath is certainly a useful feature. This allows the knife to be stored correctly, which is advantageous both for safety and keeping the blade sharp.
Ceramic knives are strong but fragile. The sheath provides a layer of protection in busy kitchens.
Best Ceramic Knives
1. Best Single Knife for Everyday Use: Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 5 ½ inch Santoku Knife
What is there to say about this knife? For almost all the key criteria, the Kyocera knife comes out on top.
At 5 ½ inches, this isn’t the longest blade, but that gives it an ease of control. For the average home cook, 5 ½ inches is enough for quick chopping, without becoming unwieldy.
The blade is known for being one of the sharpest on the market, thanks to the diamond wheel used to file the edge. The only downside; it doesn’t come with a sheath.
Kyocera is a formidable name in kitchenware. They’ve been creating ceramic knives since 1984, collecting loyal fans.
The company is respected, with many ceramic knife users refusing to shop elsewhere. They’re constantly working to improve, and have made a stride forward recently with the development of a proprietary zirconia material.
This ceramic is formulated of dense sub-micron particles, which leave very few voids. The denser the blade, the stronger it is. It also provides a longer-lasting edge, which stays sharp for cut after cut.
The Kyocera is undoubtedly the best everyday knife, because of the balance of the blade itself. The dense zirconia isn’t heavy but incredibly lightweight.
This means the handle doesn’t need to be weighted down to match, giving a lighter knife overall. Even repetitive prep work is easy on the wrist, thanks to the comfortable balance.
The introduction of the new zirconia has taken the Kyocera knife up to the next level, and it’s certain to be the first knife you reach for whenever you step into the kitchen.
- Trusted company - Kyocera have built quite a fan base.
- Lightweight - The balance is just right, and there’s no strain on the wrist.
- Sharp edge - Dense sub-micron particles keep this blade sharper for longer.
- Price - This is an investment piece.
- No sheath - Although they can be purchased separately, it’s frustrating not to have one included.
- The 5.5" Santoku is an all-purpose knife for everyday slicing, dicing and mincing
- A great first-time introduction to using a Kyocera ceramic knife in the kitchen, especially for the beginning home cook
- Ceramic blades are made from Kyocera's proprietary zirconia material produced in Japan for exceptional quality and beauty
- Ultra-sharp, pure advanced ceramic blades will maintain their edge up to 10x longer than steel blades
- Lightweight and easy to clean, the blades will not brown food, are rust-proof and resistant to acids
2. Best Knife for Repetitive Work: Vos 8-inch Ceramic Chef Knife
The advantages of an 8-inch knife are obvious - it allows you to cut more in one go. Incredibly useful when you’re doing repetitive prep work.
A large knife can finely dice a bunch of herbs in almost no time at all. Vos has combined the longer length with a sharp blade, and a lightweight handle for a comfortable balance.
Vos is a newer brand to the ceramic knife market, only forming in 2013. Since then, they’ve established themselves as a heavy hitter. People expect quality from a name like Vos.
These knives are award-winning, and Vos is constantly looking for ways to improve. The 8-inch chef knife is one of the center points of the Vos range. It’s a versatile length, appreciated by home chefs and professionals.
Even skilled chefs grow tired of prep work, as it often requires endless repetitive movements. This puts a strain on the wrist and hand, leading to fatigue.
The Vos ceramic knife is so lightweight, it makes prep work a breeze. The long blade is perfectly balanced by an ergonomic handle. The edge is incredibly sharp and stays that way for years. From the first cut to the last, you can enjoy a smooth slicing experience.
Vos also provides a clear sheath, which protects the blade from damage. This is particularly useful for an 8-inch knife, as the end can be brittle.
Every cut with this knife feels good. It rests comfortably in the hand, and only minimal pressure is required for a precise slice. The only potential disadvantage is that the blade comes quite close to the handle. Some may find this becomes uncomfortable.
- Long, sharp blade - Prep work can be sorted in minutes, thanks to the elegant edge of the Vos knife.
- Zirconia blade - An ultra dense material that stays sharper for longer.
- Sheath - Easy storage, and a layer of protection.
- Longer blades are harder to use for detail, especially for inexperienced cooks.
- Sharp edge close to handle
- CERAMIC KNIFE FOR VEGETABLES: Our Kitchen chef's knife is perfect for prepping veggies! Its ultra-sharp blade easily cuts through the skin and flesh of vegetables or fruits for quick and easy preparation of your favorite meals!
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE FOR EASY SLICING: Our knife has a lightweight handle that provides a comfortable and balanced grip. Comes with a protector sheath, so you can safely store it in your kitchen drawer.
- EASY-TO-CLEAN TOOL: Features a rust-proof surface that resists damage from acids or oils. Its smooth blade won't absorb food odor and taste, preventing flavors of different ingredients from mixing up.
- PERFECT FOR AMATEUR OR PROFESSIONAL CHEFS: The ultimate gift for Mom, Dad, Grandfather or Grandmother. Home cooks and even pro chefs will surely love our ceramic kitchen knife! It comes in an elegant gift box, making it ideal as a treat for special occasions!
- NO-RISK PURCHASE: Our knife comes with a free lifetime guarantee to give you the best value for your money. Get this great addition to your cutlery set by clicking 'Add to Cart' now!
3. Best Serrated Knife for Bread/Tomatoes: Cestari 6-inch Serrated Ceramic Knife
While smooth blades have their advantages, there are some things that they’re just no good for. Slicing bread with a bad knife can completely destroy a loaf. A serrated knife uses a sawing motion for an easy cut, so your bread remains airy, not crushed.
The Cestari is 6-inches of the serrated blade, with a long handle for balance. It sits lightly, and remains sharp, even on harder crusts. When you’re finished, it can be stored in the accompanying sheath.
As a new brand, Cestari hasn't had much time to build up a reputation. A family business operating out of Massachusetts, Cestari aims to make everyday products for the average home.
While they may not have a large following yet, they certainly have faith in the brand - every item comes with a lifetime guarantee.
A ceramic serrated knife is a good move for a proud family company. A bread knife is something we all have, while ceramic knives are still seen as the realm of the kitchen enthusiast. Combining the two creates a high-end product for a family home.
Cestari has created the best serrated ceramic knife by focusing on the basics. The blade is sharp and remains sharp thanks to the ceramic edge.
The rubberized, non-stick handle allows for a strong grip, and controlled action. The shorter length makes it natural to handle, and useful for smaller produce. It never feels unwieldy, which can be an issue with serrated knives.
A simple slice through a tomato will show just how good this knife is. The cut is precise, the blade is controlled, and the tomato remains firm.
- Versatile - Good for fruit, vegetables, bread, and meat.
- Sharp edge - Zirconia is used to create a blade that remains sharp.
- Ergonomic grip - Easy to hold, stay comfortable after a long use.
- Plastic sheath - Users have complained that the sheath breaks.
- It can only be used with a “sawing” motion, so this knife isn’t as adaptable.
- 🔪 CUT PAPER THIN SLICES IN SECONDS OR YOUR MONEY BACK. Easily slices through melons, tomatoes, crusty bread, meat , and cheese. This tomato slicer is fitted with a professional serrated blade that slices through the thin, slippery skins of tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables without crushing the interior. You will be thrilled you added this serrated knife to your kitchen knife set.
- 🔪 FORGET ABOUT SHARPENING WITH THIS CERAMIC KNIFE. The advanced ceramic blade of this vegetable, bread, and fruit knife holds its exceptionally sharp edge up to ten times longer than stainless steel or carbon knife steel cutlery ; chefs appreciate that ceramic knives won't ever react with foods, and never rust like other utility knives do.
- 🔪 COMFORTABLE RUBBERIZED HANDLE won't slip. Perfectly balanced, nonskid ergonomic grip, solid contoured handle designed for controlled use. This slicing knife has a remarkably lightweight, ergonomic design reduces fatigue during repetitive cutting chores more than traditional knives making it the perfect bread knife for homemade bread. This will become your go to veggie, bread, and sandwich knife.
- 🔪EASY CARE and LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Single piece black satin finish BPA free polypropylene handle has no seams to harbor germs or bacteria; top rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. We are so confident that this is the best bread knife on the market that we offer a full lifetime satisfaction guaranty. Return for replacement at any time, for any reason, no questions asked
- 🔪 BONUS: Your ceramic knife set includes a 6 inch long Advanced Ceramic serrated knife, a luxury foam lined gift box with magnetic closure , and a custom molded bread knife cover sheath to protect your knife (and fingers!) when it is not being used.
4. Best Basic Ceramic Knife Set for Everyday Use: WACOOL Ceramic Knife Set 3-Piece
With a 6-inch chef's knife, a 5-inch utility knife, and a 4-inch paring knife, this set covers (nearly) all the basics. While there may have been some use for a longer knife, the 3 included are ideal for all kinds of prep work. A kitchen with this ceramic knife set should be running smoothly.
WACOOL has built up a bit of a reputation as one of the best budget ceramic knife makers. While they may cut back in some areas, the blades themselves remain ultra strong.
WACOOL has been working to expand the range, and has also introduced a 3-piece set that replaces the utility knife with a serrated knife.
Whatever you may need, WACOOL has a knife for it. They’re light, with a comfortable balance allowing for good control. The anti-slip handle grips well, for a fast chop. They’re extremely well priced for ceramic knives.
There are a few downsides to the WACOOL. The handle feels cheap and lets down the strength of the blade slightly.
There’s also almost no gap between the blade and handle, which can feel worrying in the hand. While usage is an often comfortable experience, sometimes the edge of the blade seems too close for comfort.
But the price is so good that you almost don’t mind. These problems seem small when you remember the bargain you’re getting.
WACOOL has shown that they can create a great ceramic set, on a budget. Hopefully, they’ll continue to improve by moving that blade slightly further from the handle.
- Price - This is an affordable set.
- Versatility - Each knife has multiple uses, and together there isn’t much that can’t be done.
- Blade sharpness - The price doesn’t reflect the quality of the blade, which is super sharp.
- Handle - Handle feels weak, and can break.
- Blade design - The sharp edge is too close to the handle.
- The ceramic knife delivers exceptionally less surface resistance and a ruthlessly razor sharp edge. You need to try it to believe it.
- Ultra sharp, will never rust. Spectacularly light, with a perfectly engineered balance and 15x the edge retainment of steel.
- Made from a proprietary blend of the highest quality zirconia and forged utilizing state of the art Cold Isostatic Pressing process (CIP) before being super heated, our blades are sharper, harder, stronger, lighter, and more beautiful.
- Classic white blade and black handle. Include matching sheaths for each blade. The set includes: 6" Chef knife, 4" Paring knife, 5" Utility knife.
- Best gift for your family, friend and yourself.
5. Best Complete Ceramic Knife Set: Cuisinart Advantage Color Collection 12-piece Knife Set
The first thing that absolutely has to be mentioned is that 12-piece is an odd descriptor. There are 6 knives, and 6 sheaths Although this isn’t an erroneous offense, it’s worth a mention.
With that out of the way, the knives can speak for themselves. This is essentially a complete set.
Cuisinart have included: 1 8” Chef’s knife, 1 8” slicing knife, 1 8” bread knife, 1 7” santoku knife, 1 6.5” utility knife, and 1 3.5” paring knife. Basically, if you have something to chop, this set has a knife for it. (Unless you need to slice through bone or frozen foods). They feel good in the hand, with a sharp, brightly colored blade.
Cuisinart is a brand who thrive on their reputation. They’re known for providing almost anything a kitchen may need, and they’ve been doing it for decades.
The introduction of the ceramic knife range shows just how eager Cuisinart is to stay ahead. They’ve used their experience to create a set to complete any home.
There is a little secret to the Cuisinart ceramic knives: they aren’t completely ceramic. Instead, the blade is made of stainless steel, coated in ceramic. This gives them strength, mixed with a non-stick finish.
They don’t have quite the same balance like a true ceramic knife, but they’re sharp. Hopefully, it won't be long until Cuisinart brings out a fully ceramic knife set.
One of the real advantages of using these knives is color-coding. It’s easy to keep knives for separate tasks and to reach for the correct one when in a hurry.
- Color coded - Never pick up the wrong knife with these distinctive colors.
- Ceramic coating - A sharp edge, with a non-stick finish.
- Versatility - This set is almost every knife you need.
- Balance - The unusual composition does throw the balance off.
- Customer service - Some have found it difficult to get a response.
- High-Quality Stainless Steel Blades
- Ceramic Coating for Easy Non-Stick Slicing
- Color Coding Helps You to Reduce the Risk of Cross-Contamination During Food Preparation
- 8" Chef Knife is a multipurpose knife for mincing and slicing vegetables. The 7" Santoku Knife is perfect multipurpose knife for dicing and mincing
- Lifetime Warranty
Frequently Asked Questions
Although ceramic knives can cut through most foods, there are a few things that they just aren’t suitable for. Bone, frozen foods, and other hard materials are not suitable for being cut with a ceramic knife.
Ceramic knives are strong but brittle. They shouldn’t be used for crushing, as the pressure can cause the blade to snap.
You also must be careful when using and storing a ceramic knife. They can chip, and they will likely break if dropped on a hard surface.
While some brands claim to be dishwasher safe, most agree that it’s better to wash a ceramic knife by hand. They’re strong, but can be brittle. Placed in a dishwasher, they may chip and start to flake apart.
Dishwashers also can potentially dull the blade. Ceramic shouldn't rust or stain, so it’s easy to wash them by hand.
A ceramic knife stays sharp for years, but it will eventually need sharpening. Due to the brittle blade, this isn’t always an easy task. Many manufacturers will allow you to send the knife to them for professional sharpening, and it may even be free of charge.
Diamond wheel sharpeners can be purchased to sharpen a ceramic knife. However, you must be careful. It’s often better to pay for a professional service, rather than attempting a home sharpening.
Kyocera is considered to be the best brand on the market, and it’s a reputation that’s well-earned. Their knives have been carefully developed across years of manufacturing, to be perfect for use in the home, or even in a professional setting.
Ceramic knives are super sharp, and they don’t dull easily. Ceramic is one of the hardest materials out there. The dense formulation of sub-micron particles means the material has almost no gaps - which keeps it strong and sharp.
Even after years of usage, a ceramic knife should still slice through foods with almost no force.
Another advantage is their cleaning properties. Due to the dense material, acid and other bacteria can’t get trapped. So they don’t rust, and they don’t stain.
Despite the strength, ceramic knives are light. They can be held in the hand comfortably, for an extended period of time.
Join the Discussion