What makes a cheese plate from good to brilliant is presentation, and uniform, neat cheese slices. To achieve this, all you need is a good cheese slicer.
It’s always a disappointment to buy fresh cheese, only to cut it with inadequate tools. Not only does this make the cheese unappealing to look at, but it can actually affect the flavor too.
To make the most out of your cheeses, a cheese slicer is a must. They’re quickly becoming kitchen essentials, but how do you know which one you’ll need? My article breaks down five of the best on the market right now.
The Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer is my best pick for a wire cheese cutter, as the marble board not only helps the cheese stay in place for a safer slicing experience but also keeps the cheese at a nice temperature while you slice it.
Meanwhile, the Westmark Cheese and Food slicer and the REMASKO Cheese slicer are the best adjustable slicers. The Westmark slicer is great for adjusting the thickness of slices, helping you achieve both wafer-thin slices and chunkier slices too depending on your preference.
Meanwhile, the REMASIKO has an adjustable wire that also lets you switch up the thickness of your slices.
The OXO Cheese Slicer, on the other hand, has the best wire tension wheel that makes changing the wire easier, and the BOSKA Copenhagen is my best dishwasher-friendly pick.
Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer
Westmark Cheese and Food Slicer
REMASIKO Cheese Slicer
OXO Cheese Slicer
BOSKA Copenhagen Cheese Slicer
If you eat at least one type of semi-soft, semi-hard, or hard cheese then your kitchen isn’t complete without a cheese slicer.
They’re essential if you struggle to cut even cheese slices with a knife. A cheese slicer achieves neat cheese slices effortlessly that look stunning on a cheese platter.
But before you buy any old cheese slicer, you need to figure out what kind of cheese slicer you want. There are three types of cheese slicers:
These are the original cheese slicers. They feature a flat metal base attached to a handle, and a hole on the metal base through which thin, sliced cheese slides out.
These are ideal for cutting hard cheese like parmesan, and aged cheese. Cheese planes are also suitable for semi-hard cheese varieties.
Rolling Cheese Slicer:
This type of cheese slicer resembles a vegetable peeler, thanks to its T-shape. The cheese slicing part represents a roller and a wire. This type of cheese slicer is best for semi-soft and semi-hard cheese varieties.
Wire Cheese Slicer (Cheese Cutter):
This cheese slicer is a cutting board with a wire mechanism that slices the cheese. To cut the cheese, you manually raise and lower the wire attached to the cutting arm.
This kind of slicer is best for cutting very soft and sticky cheeses. However, slicers with well-made wires can also cut through semi-soft and even hard cheeses.
You should select your slicer based on what type of cheese you eat the most. For example, if you love hard cheese then a cheese plane will be able to cut them with ease.
But is there anything else to look out for when looking for a cheese slicer? Well, the best cheese slicers are made of high-quality, durable materials.
While wire slicers and cheese planes are the most popular type of cheese slicers, cheese rollers and special cheese knives are good alternatives.
It’s also good to look out for adjustable thickness, spare wires, design, size, and ease of cleaning. Below, I’ve gone into a bit more detail about these components.
The best material for handheld cheese slicers such as cheese planes and rolling cheese slicers is stainless steel. It’ll last a long time, won’t rust, and cheese slicers with stainless steel don’t require sharpening.
As long as you use the slicer properly and take good care of it, stainless steel slicers are durable and will stay sharper for longer.
When it comes to wire cheese slicers that feature a cutting board, the board’s material is important.
High-quality cheese slicers often have heavy marble or wooden slabs. The base of these cheese slicers needs to be heavy so they stay in place while you are moving the cheese around to slice it.
For this reason, you should avoid lightweight cheese slicers with plastic bases.
However, the cutting arm with the wire on it may be made of different materials. No matter what material it is made of tough, the wire should feel sturdy as it is the ‘working’ part of the slicer.
You should also opt for cheese slicers with sharp cutting wires. These are often made of stainless steel. Some companies will replace the wire, but you shouldn’t have to replace it too often.
For handheld cheese slicers the design of the handle is important. A good grip is crucial for your safety, as you are dealing with a cutting tool.
An ergonomic design will also make sure you don’t get tired or uncomfortable within a few minutes of using the slicer.
If you’re looking for a compact cheese slicer that can be easily stored and easy to take anywhere, then a handheld cheese slicer is for you.
Wire cheese slicers with cutting boards attached tend to be bigger and take up more space, this is because the board needs to be big enough to fit a good-sized block of cheese.
Some cheese slicers will produce slices of varying thickness depending on the angle at which you are holding them. Meanwhile, some come with adjustable knobs that help you control the thickness of the cheese slices.
Wire cheese slicers are the most versatile when it comes to adjustable thickness. However, you may not be able to achieve consistent results if you don’t adjust the cheese block every time.
The best cheese slicers - especially rolling cheese slicers and slicers with a board - should come with a few spare wires.
If you regularly slice cheese, the wires will wear down quite quickly. So having at least one spare wire will come in handy, especially if you’re entertaining guests and the wire snaps off when preparing a cheese plate!
Easy to Clean:
You should also consider a cheese slicer that is easy to clean. Some handheld cheese slicers can be put in the dishwasher, making them very easy to clean.
Meanwhile, some cheese slicers should be cleaned by hand. For example, ones with a board and wire attached. These are sometimes easy to wipe clean, which makes cleaning your cheese slicer even easier.
Best Cheese Slicer
1. Best Cheese Slicer with a 100% Marble Board: Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer
The Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer is undoubtedly the most elegant-looking slicer on this list and can slice cheeses of different hardness.
The marble slab not only looks good (so good that you could even serve your cheese on it!) but is easy to clean and keeps the cheese at a nice, cool temperature while you cut.
The plastic feet on the board prevent the board from slipping, while also protecting your kitchen counter from scratches.
The dimensions of the marble board are 5 inches-8.25 inches, and the wire is made of stainless steel. The marble knob on the cutting arm makes slicing easy, and the wire effortlessly slices through any cheese.
If you’re not familiar with Fox Run, you may be familiar with the other recognizable brand names they operate under, such as Ironwood Gourmet, Outset, Kitchen Art, and Nantucket Seafood Tools.
They were founded 40 years ago as a cookie-cutter manufacturer, but now make over 3,000 products for the home such as bakeware, BBQ grillware, woodenware, and numerous other food prep, coffee, and tea products.
- Marble board: The marble board keeps cheese cool while you slice it, and the material is heavy and solid enough to keep the board in place.
- Two replacement wires: In case the original wire snaps, the two replacement wires mean you’ll be back to slicing cheese in no time!
- Non-slip feet: The non-slip feet also ensure the board stays in place while you slice, making for an overall safer experience.
- Stainless steel: The stainless steel wire slices through hard or soft cheeses with precision.
- Wire is a bit loose: Some customers have reported that the wire is sometimes a bit loose which may affect performance.
- PERFECT FOR PARTIES: The ideal choice to hold your small appetizers, sandwiches, or cheese displays. You can also use it as a charcuterie board, with the sleek wire slicer ensuring an easy cut for any type of cheese.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION AND DURABLE DESIGN: This board is made from pure marble, which has natural no-stick properties that make it the ultimate surface for many foods without having to worry about a difficult or messy cleanup.
- STAINLESS STEEL WIRE NEVER NEEDS SHARPENING allowing this wire to easily slice through all cheese at any width or precision, from wafer thin to thick chunks, and is easily adjustable thanks to the marble handle.
- SERVE IN STYLE: Long-lasting marble design is not only functional, but unique. Each of these genuine marble cutter comes with its own one-of-a-kind pattern and coloration.
- MEASUREMENTS AND INFORMATION: This cheese slicer board measures 5 x 7.99 x 1.25 inches and weighs 3 pounds. It also includes 2 replacement wires and plastic feet on the bottom to ensure protection for countertops and tables.
2. Best for Adjustable Thickness: Westmark Cheese and Food Slicer
One of the most durable cheese slicers on the market, the Westmark Cheese and Food Slicer has a cast aluminum construction and stainless steel wire that cuts through soft and semi-hard cheeses like butter.
While the wire on the slicer is not replaceable, the longevity of this product doesn’t make this too much of an issue.
The thickness of the slices can be modified depending on the angle at which you hold the slicer. The handle is well-designed with a good grip that assists you in slicing the cheese with ease.
Because this slicer is made of aluminum you can’t wash it in the dishwasher, but the slicer can still be easily cleaned with warm water and soap.
Located in Lennestadt-Elspe in Germany, Westmark is proud to produce nearly all of their products in Germany and have 130 employees working at their factory.
Westmark has completely overhauled the design of their previous cheese slicer, but both are made of stainless steel and are easy to clean.
- Stainless steel wire: This wire cuts through cheese easily and is sure not to rust, while the thickness adjustable scale gives you neat slices no matter what the thickness.
- Cast aluminum handle: The cast aluminum handle not only makes this slicer more durable, but its ergonomic design makes it more comfortable to hold.
- Easy to store: The hole in the handle makes this slicer easy to store, or even hang up.
- Versatile: This slicer can not only slice hard and soft cheeses but sausages, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, and more.
- Does not come with spare wire: While this slicer doesn’t come with a spare wire, it’s durable enough that you may not need one.
- MADE IN GERMANY HIGH QUALITY KITCHENWARE: Westmark’s Cheese and Food Slicer with Board is among the best in the world and is rated to be one of the best kitchenware brands available today.
- MATERIAL: Each product is made using a high quality stainless steel blade and high quality cast aluminum for its handle. the base of the board is made from ABS with a polypropylene adjustable scale. See below for more details.
- EASY AND READY TO USE: This easy to use product slices not only your soft and hard cheeses, but can also manage other food items such as sausages, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce and much more!Equipped with an ergonomic handle and a thickness adjustable scale, Westmark’s product is efficient and comfortable to use.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply use soap and water to clean the product.
3. Best Adjustable Wire: REMASIKO Cheese Slicer
This handheld cheese slicer from REMASIKO is wide enough to even slice larger blocks of cheese. It has a cast zinc alloy construction with stainless steel wires that are adjustable.
This means you can achieve slices varying in thickness depending on what angle you’re holding the tool.
Its ergonomic design means this slicer will fit nicely in your hand, for a safe and smooth cheese slicing experience. This slicer can easily slice both soft and semi-hard cheeses.
You can buy REMASIKO products mainly on Amazon and they have an average rating of 4.5 stars by more than one hundred Amazon customers.
They mainly sell MABELER products as well as REMASIKO branded products. You can order some RAMISKO products with Prime shipping available, and the average price of RAMISKO products is roughly $13.
- Adjustable wire position: You can achieve slices of varying thickness with the adjustable wire.
- 4 replacement wires: With these replacement wires, you won’t need to worry about your original wire snapping.
- Ergonomic design: The ergonomic design makes this slicer comfortable to hold.
- Easy to clean: You can either wipe the slicer clean with a rag or wash with soap and water to clean this slicer and use it again.
- Wire cutting is only on one side of the slicer.
- 【Adjustable Thickness Cheese Cutter】The wire position of the cheese cutter can be adjusted freely for you to adjust the thickness of the slice. Adjust the slicer to give you wafer thin slices or nice, chunky slices up to ¼” thick and can handle cheese blocks up to 3.5'' wide.
- 【Slicing Cheese Easily】The cheese cutter is made of a zinc-aluminum alloy and reinforced stainless steel to ensure it is more durable than similar products. 304 stainless steel cutting wire cuts hard cheeses like swiss, and cheddar like butter. You can slice your favorite cheese with ease in seconds!
- 【Easy to Operate and Clean】Just adjust the thickness of slice, and with the movement of the roller, you can get the cheese slices of the thickness you want. It is easy to wipe with a rag or wash with soap and water after use. With a hanging hole, convenient for storage.
- 【Heay-duty Ergonomic Design】The solid cast zinc alloy body is both beautiful and extra-strong equipped with a large roller that makes slicing even better. Ergonomic handle, easy and quick to slice the cheese.
- 【No Hassle】Suitable for making different kinds cheeses for cheese platters or sandwiches, this cheese slicer has a thin blade that helps to make a proper and smooth. Great for preparing family dinner or party platter.
4. Best Wire Tension Wheel: OXO Cheese Slicer
While many people are wary about using rolling cheese slicers, the OXO Cheese Slicer is definitely worth a chance.
Unlike many other rolling cheese slicers, the cheese wire on this slicer is replaceable.
What’s more, it also has a tension wheel to loosen and tighten the wire. This makes the wire changing process so much easier.
By adjusting the angle at which you’re holding the tool, you can achieve slices of different thickness with this slicer too.
While the design of this cheese slicer varies from previous models, these changes are only really aesthetic. OXO is still delivering the thoughtful, clever designs it always has!
OXO is a much-loved brand that is known for making everyday cooking tasks that much easier.
- Tension wheel for wire tightness control: The tension wheel makes wires not only easy to tighten and loosen but easy to change too.
- Sturdy die-cast zinc construction: The die-cast zinc construction makes this cheese slicer more durable.
- Replacement wire: A handy replacement wire means that you can continue slicing your cheese if the original wire snaps.
- Cuts thick or thin slices: The adjustable wire makes it easier to cut slices in a variety of thicknesses.
- Ergonomic handle: The ergonomic handle of this slicer is soft and comfortable to use.
- Some difficulty cutting through a whole block: Some customers have reported difficulty cutting through the block of cheese, but this can be remedied by keeping the cheese block a little over the end of the board.
- Tension wheel lets you tighten wire when loose
- Easy wire replacement with one additional stainless steel wire included
- Cuts thick or thin cheese slices
- Sturdy, die-cast zinc construction
- Soft, comfortable handle
5. Best for the Dishwasher: BOSKA Copenhagen Cheese Slicer
The stainless steel construction of the BOSKA Copenhagen cheese slicer’s one-piece blade means it will remain sharp for years. You can consistently achieve decently sized slices with the two-inch opening on the slicer.
Despite being made out of stainless steel, this cheese slicer is not very heavy. The rounded handle also makes this cheese slicer even more comfortable to hold, and it is very dishwasher safe.
The previous model was called the BOSKA Holland but the only changes between the Holland and Copenhagen are the name and the appearance.
BOSKA was developed in Gouda, Holland by blacksmith Willem Bes who created cheese tools for local farmers.
BOSKA has continued this tradition by making smart, sustainable tools for cheese, pizza, and even chocolate that are enjoyable to use and will last a lifetime.
- Stainless steel construction: BOSKA is all about sustainability, and this is evident in the stainless steel construction of this cheese slicer.
- Dishwasher-safe: You’re able to put this cheese slicer in the dishwasher, making it incredibly easy to clean.
- Consistent: The Copenhagen cheese slicer helps you achieve clean, consistent slices that you’ll be proud to show off at any dinner party.
- 10-year warranty: BOSKA’s 10-year warranty indicates just how durable this cheese slicer is.
- Small: Some customers have reported that the slicer is smaller than expected and smaller than promotional pictures suggest.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL: suitable for grating semi-hard and hard cheese, citrus fruits, carrots and other hard vegetables
- LIGHTWEIGHT: the handle of this cheese slicer is hollow
- DISHWASHER SAFE: the cheese slicer will stay sharp even after repeatedly being washed in the dishwasher.
- CONTENTS: stainless steel cheese slicer
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: BOSKA offers you durable and affordable Food Tools, of exceptional quality and timeless design
Frequently Asked Questions
No matter what type of cheese you’re slicing, the best way to cut cheese is in even slices. This not only looks better but helps to maintain the taste, and this is why a cheese slicer is such an important tool!
Slicing cheese with a cheese slicer is simple, whether you’re using a handheld cheese slicer or a cheese board with a wire cutter. You just need to set up your cheese on a clean, dry surface and glide the blades through the cheese.
Join the Discussion