If you have ever tried to make crepes in a standard frying pan, you’ll probably already know that this method doesn’t produce the best results.
In order to make crepes that truly replicate the traditional French pancake, you will need to get yourself a purpose-built crepe pan.
Don’t worry if you’re not sure where to start, though! We’ve rounded up the 5 best crepe pans on the market today, so you can start creating the crepes of your dreams in no time!
In this article, we’ll be looking at crepe pans from some of the big players in the cookware market, including Cuisinart, Cook N Home, Le Creuset, Chefmade, and De Buyer.
Don’t forget to check out our Key Criteria and FAQ sections for more guidance on how to choose the perfect crepe pan for your needs.
The key criteria according to which we tested and ranked the crepe pans featured in this article are listed below.
Before you go ahead and check out the products themselves, we recommend reading through the following criteria sections to make sure you know what to look for.
Aluminum is probably the most common material used in crepe pan construction overall. This is because it is a strong, lightweight metal that also has good corrosion resistance.
If you want your pan to be extra durable, we recommend looking for a 3-ply (3 layers) or more aluminum construction. The thicker the aluminum, the less prone it will be to warping.
Anodized aluminum is aluminum that has been treated for hardness using heat. This may cost you a little more than your average aluminum pan, but if you want your purchase to stand the test of time, it’s a great investment.
Other materials frequently used in the construction of crepe pans are stainless steel and carbon steel. Typically, carbon steel will be used for the body of the pan, while stainless steel is normally used for handle construction.
Carbon steel is, on balance, stronger than stainless steel, but the downside is that it is more prone to corrosion. Therefore, if you do choose a carbon steel pan, please make sure to dry it very thoroughly after washing, paying attention to any small gaps in the construction where water can become trapped.
Make sure that your new crepe pan also has some form of non-stick coating on the inner surface. This will make both the cooking and cleaning process less stressful. Some food-safe coating options include quantanium, silicone, and beeswax.
The size of your crepe pan is a crucial factor to consider before making your purchase. This is because the size of your cooking surface will determine the maximum size of the crepes you can make.
Traditionally, crepes are sized somewhere between 10 and 12 inches. Most of the pans we’ve included in our roundup, as you’ll see below, fall within this range.
However, you can also opt to make smaller crepes, in which case, it might be best to get a smaller pan so that you can achieve better consistency in your crepe size.
The smallest pan we’ve included in our selection of top products is 8 inches in diameter.
The ergonomic aspects of a crepe pan will determine how easy it is to work with. Crepes are a time-sensitive and delicate food to prepare, so ideally, you’ll want your pan to be as ergonomic as possible.
First and foremost, it’s important for your pan to be reasonably lightweight so that your arms don’t feel sore or fatigued during the cooking process.
The base should, of course, always be flat and stable to ensure safety and even cooking.
A significant part of what makes a pan ergonomic is its handle. You’ll be using the handle for all maneuvering purposes during the cooking process, so you will want to make sure that it’s suited to the job.
Your crepe pan’s handle should be sturdy, comfortably curved for holding purposes, and resistant to heat. If your handle gets too hot during cooking, you could burn yourself.
Burns to the palms of the hands can be even more severe than on other parts of the body because of the hand’s natural reflex to grip tighter in response to pain signals. Burns on the hands are also more prone to infection, so this is definitely something to avoid.
Stainless steel handles are a good choice in terms of heat resistance, although plastic coatings on handles can also help to stop them from getting too hot.
Ease of Cleaning
The ease of cleaning your new crepe pan will be directly related to the materials used, specifically on the inside of the pan.
A non-stick surface, whether in the form of silicone, quantanium, or even beeswax, will make your crepe pan easier to clean because any food residue will slide off under running water or a non-abrasive sponge.
Another way to ensure the ease of cleaning of your crepe pan is to make sure that it’s dishwasher safe.
Of course, you don’t need a dishwasher to clean a crepe pan, and if your pan isn’t safe to put in the dishwasher, it’s not the end of the world. However, being able to put your crepe pan in the dishwasher will save you time and energy.
Before you finalize your purchase, you should always check whether your preferred crepe pan will be compatible with the stove you have at home.
While most crepe pans are suitable for use on most hobs, some can be incompatible with induction hobs, so this is a point to pay special attention to.
Moreover, while it’s not necessary to put crepes in the oven in most cases, you may also want to verify whether your pan is oven-safe.
If it is, this will give you some flexibility in terms of making baked crepes, for example. If not, you’ll need to make sure that the pan (except for the bottom, of course) isn’t exposed to excessive heat.
The most common accessory you’ll find included with higher-quality crepe pans is a spreader, also known as a rateau.
This accessory is used to help spread the crepe batter across the pan’s cooking surface so that you don’t have to rely on gravity and skill alone to create a perfect, round crepe.
Make sure that the rateau included with your pan is made of a material such as wood (bamboo is the sustainable option) rather than metal, since the latter might overheat and is also more likely to scratch the inner surface of the pan.
Best Crepe Pan
1. Best Overall: Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Inch Crepe Pan
This Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Inch Crepe Pan from Cuisinart is, in our opinion, the best crepe pan on the market overall, especially considering the reasonable price point.
Cuisinart is one of the most popular homewares and kitchenware brands in the U.S. The company was established in 1971, and since then, it has become known for manufacturing high-quality utensils and appliances at affordable prices.
At 10 inches in diameter, this pan is the perfect size for making standard-sized crepes, so you can tell straight from the outset that this is a purpose-built piece of cookware.
The anodized aluminum material used to construct the exterior surface of the Cuisinart pan ensures wear resistance, so you can count on this pan to last you a long time.
Moreover, because of the reinforced Quantiatnium and Titanium interior surface, the Cusinart crepe pan is non-stick and extremely durable as well as food-safe.
The stainless steel handle remains cool even at higher temperatures and is easy to wipe clean should any crepe batter find its way onto the handle.
The handle is relatively thin, which can make the pan feel heavier than it actually is during use, but the thinness does mean that people with hands of all sizes will be able to firmly grip the handle.
Another great thing about this crepe pan is the fact that it is oven safe up to 500°F, so if you wanted to leave your pans in the oven for warmth or melt cheese over them this way, you won’t have to worry about damaging your pan.
Unfortunately, although the Cuisinart crepe pan is non-stick, it is not scratch-resistant, so you’ll need to take care not to use any metal utensils and not to apply too much pressure if you want the non-stick coating to last.
- 10 inches - Optimal crepe size
- Anodized aluminum exterior - Very wear-resistant
- Quantanium and Titanium inner surface - Nonstick, reinforced, and food-safe
- Stainless steel handle - Heat-resistant and wipes clean
- Oven-safe - Tolerates heat up to 500°F
- Not scratch-resistant - Use carefully
- The hard anodized exterior is dense, nonporous, and highly wear-resistant for extra durability and professional performance.
- Quantanium interior, a patented nonstick cooking surface reinforced with titanium, provides healthful nonfat cooking options and easy clean up
- Solid stainless steel riveted handles stay cool on the stovetop: provide a safe and solid grip
- Tapered rim eliminates drips while pouring
- Oven safe to 500 F. This pan is not induction ready.
2. Best Budget: Cook N Home 10.25-Inch Nonstick Crepe Pan
Cook N Home is a California-based cookware brand known for its professional-grade cooking equipment across several price ranges.
If you’re looking to save money on your purchase, but still want good quality for your money, we recommend the Cook N Home 10.25-Inch Nonstick Crepe Pan.
This pan is the ideal size for making crepes, but that’s far from all the Cook N Home pan has going for it!
The construction of this crepe pan consists of thick-gauge aluminum, so it can withstand a lot of use and wear and tear without sustaining significant damage.
Additionally, the non-stick coating inside the pan makes it easy to clean and generally makes the cooking experience easier because you don’t have to prise stuck batter off your pan.
The handle is thick, curved, and heat-resistant, so it fits comfortably in the palm of your hand and won’t get too hot during the cooking process.
Weighing just 1.5 lbs overall, this crepe pan is lightweight and easy to handle without developing fatigue in your hand or arm.
The main limitation in terms of the use of this pan is the fact that it isn’t suitable for use on induction stoves or in ovens.
- 10.25 inches - Perfect size for crepes
- 1.5 lbs - Lightweight
- Curved, heat-resistant handle - Comfortable to hold
- Thick aluminum construction - Highly durable
- Non-stick coating - Easy to clean
- Not for use ovens or induction stoves - Some limits to use
- Made of aluminum that provides even heat conduction and prevents hot spots
- Has a nonstick coating that makes flipping crepes/food release/cleaning easy
- Handle is comfortable and stays cool; Lightweight for control and plating
- Works on gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, etc.; Not Induction and oven safe
- Measures: 10.25 in. diameter, 18 in. length, 8.5 in. cooking surface, and 1.5 lb
3. Best Premium: Le Creuset Toughened Nonstick PRO Crepe Pan with Rateau
If you’re looking for premium cookware, one of the best brands to look out for is Le Creuset.
Le Creuset, as you might be able to tell by the name, is a French cookware brand that has become increasingly popular in the U.S. and the U.K due to the incredibly high quality of its products as well as its excellent customer service.
This Nonstick Crepe Pan from Le Creuset is made from triple-reinforced aluminum, so you’ll never have to worry about damaging your pan through daily use.
The inside of the pan is textured and scratch-resistant, meaning that you can safely brown and sear your crepes without risking damage to your pan.
Something else we really like about this crepe pan is the fact that it can safely be used on all types of stoves, including induction stoves, and it can also be placed in the oven and dishwasher.
The hollow handle featured on the Le Creuset crepe pan ensures that the pan feels as lightweight as possible during use, and also prevents the handle from getting too hot, minimizing the risk of burn injuries.
Additionally, a wooden rateau is included with the purchase of this crepe pan. You can use this delicate, non-abrasive utensil to effectively spread your crepe batter over the cooking surface of the pan for smooth and even-looking results.
- Triple-reinforced aluminum - Excellent longevity
- Dishwasher, induction, and oven-safe - Widely compatible and easy to clean
- Textured and scratch-resistant - Damage-free browning
- Includes wooden rateau - Useful for spreading batter
- Hollow handle - Lightweight and cool
- High price point - Not budget-friendly
- Triple-reinforced PFOA-free surface that is now 4x stronger
- Textured interior promotes browning and searing for exceptional flavor — and easily wipes clean
- Stay-cool ergonomic handles allow for quick, comfortable movement
- Compatible with all cooktops and oven-safe up to 500°F (tempered glass lids up to 425°F)
- Safe for dishwasher and metal utensils
4. Best for Small Crepes: CHEFMADE Crepe Pan with Bamboo Spreader
If you would like your crepes to be a little on the smaller side (perhaps you just prefer smaller portions or are actively trying to watch your calorie intake without depriving yourself of your favorite treats), we recommend the Chefmade Crepe Pan.
Chefmade started as a hardware factory, but eventually developed into a cookware brand, which is now owned Wellcook Kitchenware Co. Ltd - one of China’s most popular kitchenware brands.
Measuring just 8 inches in diameter, this is a very small crepe pan, so it definitely won’t be suitable for making larger crepes. However, for smaller portions, it’s perfect.
The 4-ply aluminum construction of the Chefmade crepe pan is extremely tough and resistant to the wear and tear that comes with regular use.
Meanwhile, the silicone coating on the inner surface of the pan makes it non-stick and completely safe for food preparation.
The insulating handle on this pan is long and stays cool even during intense cooking processes, so the risk of burns is greatly reduced.
Plus, Chefmade has included a bamboo spreader with the crepe pan so that you can easily and ergonomically spread the batter over the cooking surface.
Unfortunately, the Chefmade crepe pan is not dishwasher safe, so you’ll need to be prepared to clean it by hand.
- 8 inches - Perfect for small crepes
- 4-ply aluminum construction - Very wear-resistant
- Silicone coating - Non-stick and food safe
- Includes bamboo spreader - Improves ergonomics
- Insulating handle - Non-slip and cool to touch
- Not dishwasher safe - Wash by hand only
- Safe and Health : General use for Gas, Induction, Electric, Ceramic and Halogen Cooker Food-grade Silicone coating, Silicon antiskid handle, non-Teflon, no harmful substance release in high temperature, PTFE & PFOA FREE
- Commercial Grade : Stainless steel composite bottom, 4-Layer Hard Aluminum alloy body heats up quickly and is more scratch resistant and durable - Tight fit to seal in moisture and nutrients for healthier, more flavorful results - Safe to 446 °F
- Easy to Use : Additional incidental bamboo spreader accessories. Excellent non-stick can be achieved with less natural cooking oil. Less baking time and low energy consumption. Release easier Clean easier Dishwasher safe
- Make You Chef : Quickly make high quality family dishes, afternoon tea, banquet desserts and other delicacies. Easy to deal with daily cooking, family dinner, friends gathering, festival celebrations, etc. Spend less time and have more fun
- Best After-Sales : CHEFMADE highly value customers' satisfaction and tolerate zero quality issue. If you’re not thrilled with its construction or performance, please let us know. We will find a solution - refund or replacement - that you satisfy
5. Best for Large Crepes: De Buyer Round Pancake Pan
Finally, if you’re a die-hard crepe lover and want to make your crepes as large and satisfying as possible, the De Buyer Round Pancake Pan is the best choice for you!
De Buyer is another French cookware brand. This company is long-established. It was founded in 1830, and its products have kept up with the times since there.
De Buyer was actually awarded Capital Magazine’s ‘Best Brands for the House’ award in 2021 in the saucepans and frying pans section.
The pan is made from thick carbon steel, which is a natural mineral material that is safe for food preparation. It also has the benefit of being very durable and resistant to the warping that can occur in cookware at high temperatures.
Du Buyer’s Round Pancake Pan is 12 inches wide, so you can use it to make larger-sized crepes.
What makes this pan stand out from the competition, however, is its natural beeswax coating, which creates a non-stick surface for easy cleaning.
With that being said, the pan is not very resistant to corrosion, so you’ll need to ensure that you dry it thoroughly after each use and wash.
On the plus side, the curved handle makes using this pan an ergonomic and painless process, while the oven-safe nature of the pan makes it a more versatile piece of cookware.
- Carbon steel construction - Durable and warp-resistant
- 12 inches - Suitable for large crepes
- Beeswax coating - Non-stick
- Curved handle - Ergonomic
- Oven-safe - Resistant to high temperatures
- Not corrosion-resistant - Dry thoroughly after washing
- Tortilla Pan: Carbon steel pan is ideal for all your batters, crepes, pancakes, and tortillas
- The Darker The Better: Signature beeswax finish protects against oxidation
- Nonstick Kitchen Essentials: Has natural nonstick once seasoned; Follow seasoning care instructions
- Made in France: Engineered and manufactured following the most stringent quality requirements
- About de Buyer: French maker of premium kitchen accessories, pastry equipment, and cooking utensils
Frequently Asked Questions
A crepe pan is a type of frying pan specifically designed for making thin pancakes. It is shallower than a regular frying pan, with a flat cooking surface and a lot of emphasis on non-stick coatings.