Eggs are the undisputed kings of breakfast. They’re versatile, with many ways to enjoy them, and are rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Not to mention they’re delicious!
The most common and beloved egg recipe is poached eggs. However, this may be one of the most difficult ways to make eggs.
But while the technique is crucial to making the perfect poached egg, another significant component is the egg poacher. Therefore, you must select the right one for you, in order to achieve tasty, neat poached eggs.
There are a lot of egg poachers on the market, from stainless steel poacher pans to electric egg poachers, microwave egg poachers to silicone poachers.
Each one has its benefits and drawbacks, but ultimately you have to choose the poacher that’s best suited to you and your needs.
Below, I’ve broken down five of the best.
I’ve awarded the best egg poacher pan title to the ExcelSteel 18/10 Stainless Non-stick Egg Poacher due to its durable stainless steel construction, safe, stay-cool handle, and removable cups that are easy to clean.
Meanwhile, the RSVP International Endurance Single Egg Poacher is my pick for the best single egg poacher pan. Its stainless steel construction makes this egg poacher reliable and consistent, as well as incredibly long-lasting.
On the other end of the scale, my pick for the best 12-egg poacher is the Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker. It not only lets you cook an impressive number of eggs at once and delivers consistent results, but is also incredibly versatile.
My pick for the best electric egg poacher is the Maxi-Matic Stainless Steel Easy Egg Poacher. It’s as easy to use as an electric egg poacher should be, and is also lightweight and compact enough to take anywhere.
Last but not least, my choice for a budget-friendly egg poacher is the Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave for its astoundingly low price, and just how quickly it can poach an egg.
Below you’ll also find the criteria by which I judged these poachers, as well as some frequently asked questions.
Excelsteel 18/10 Stainless 6 Non-stick Egg Poacher
RSVP International Endurance Stainless Steel Poacher
Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker
Maxi-Matic Stainless Steel Easy Electric Egg Poacher
Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave
What makes a great egg poacher? This is the key criteria I used to judge these poachers and what you should keep in mind when buying your own.
- Size: Smaller poachers are not only easier to store, but easier to handle. When it comes to releasing the egg, it’s especially easier to do this with a smaller poacher rather than a large one.
- Design: You can find poachers in various designs from silicone cups, electric poachers, and poacher rings. There is no right or wrong type of poacher, it’s whatever works best for you. You should opt for one that you can easily use every day.
- Material: Poachers are also made of different materials too, ranging from steel, plastic, silicone, and aluminum. However, the strongest and sturdiest poachers are made from aluminum and stainless steel. Meanwhile, plastic and silicone poachers tend to be more compact and lightweight.
- Capacity: While there are poachers out there that can cook up to 12 eggs at a time, there is again no right or wrong number when it comes to capacity. You should pick a poacher with a capacity that meets the needs of you and your family.
- Ease of use: The poacher should be easy to use, and preferably have features such as a buzzer or timer that lets you know when your eggs are done, so they don’t end up overcooked.
- Non-stick: The most important quality of an egg poacher is its non-stick capability. This not only makes your eggs easier to release, but it makes them look neater and cleaner. It also makes the egg poacher easier to clean, and eliminates the need to add butter or oil.
- Dishwasher safe: While I’m on the subject of cleaning, you should definitely opt for a poacher that is easy to clean and safe to put in the dishwasher.
Best Egg Poacher
1. Best Egg Poacher Pan: Excelsteel 18/10 Stainless 6 Non-stick Egg Poacher
With this easy-to-use egg poacher pan from ExcelSteel, you’ll be making complicated dishes like eggs Benedict in no time!
It’s not only simple to use but well-constructed too, made out of stainless steel, and is surprisingly heavy - but not so heavy that it hinders your cooking experience!
The knob handle on the glass lid keeps the pan cool enough so that you won’t accidentally burn yourself, and eliminates the need for a potholder.
It is also easy to clean, with the small cups effortlessly popping out of the pan so you can wash them separately.
This 6 non-stick egg poacher from Excelsteel is also an upgrade from their previous model, which only let you poach 4 eggs at once.
- Stainless steel: The stainless steel material gives this egg poacher extra durability.
- Handle stays cool: The handle of this egg poacher stays cool, making for a safer cooking experience.
- Non-stick coated egg cups: The extraction of eggs couldn’t be easier with the ExcelSteel’s poacher pan’s non-stick cups.
- Easy to clean: With the easily removable cups, this poacher is easy to clean after use, and is dishwasher safe.
- Not best for cleaning olive oil: While the non-stick cups should reduce the need to use olive oil, some customers have reported that olive oil is difficult to clean from the cups.
- Constructed in stainless steel for durability
- Stay cool handle
- Easy to clean
- Dishwasher safe
- Nonstick coated egg cups for easy extraction of eggs
2. Best Single Egg Poacher Pan: RSVP International Endurance Stainless Steel Poacher
If you would rather have an egg poacher that poaches one egg at a time, then the RSVP International Endurance Stainless Steel Poacher may be for you!
Customers have praised this poacher pan for its reliability. This is thanks to its stainless steel construction, which makes it easy to cook a perfect egg, as well as helps it stand the test of time.
It’s also a versatile poacher, able to cook jumbo and large eggs just as well as it cooks medium to small eggs. It also gets the job done quickly, and is dishwasher safe, making it a doddle to clean.
This stainless steel poacher was made by RSVP International. They were founded in 1984 with the goal to provide creative, fun, and functional kitchen products and cooking tools at competitive prices.
RSVP International is known for supporting independent specialty stores since its inception and has won multiple industry-wide awards for its personalized customer service, unparalleled order processing, and excellent shipping.
The latest stainless steel poacher is a little bit more expensive than RSVP International’s previous models, however.
- Stainless steel: This well-constructed poacher pain is made of durable 18/8 stainless steel.
- Comfortable handle: The pan’s handle is long as well as comfortable to hold.
- Non-stick: The non-stick surface makes this pan easy to clean, and makes sure you have neat eggs every time.
- Dishwasher safe: The fact you can just put this poacher pan straight in the dishwasher when you’re finished using it makes it even easier to clean!
- Slightly more expensive: This latest model from RSVP International is a tad more expensive than previous models.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of durable 18/8 stainless steel
- INCLUDES: A nonstick poaching insert that cooks one egg at a time, along with a stainless steel pan with a long comfortable handle, and lid
- SIZE: Measures 9-½-inches by 4-¼-inches by 3-¾-inches tall
- EASY CLEAN UP: The nonstick surface allows for easy clean up
- CARE: Dishwasher safe
3. Best 12-egg Poacher: Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker
The most notable selling point to this poacher pan from Dash is the sheer volume of eggs it can cook. This poacher pan is perfect for family events, holiday celebrations, picnics, or any event that requires you to cater to a large group!
But of course, quality is just as important as quantity, and this 12-egg poacher pan delivers on that front too. It delivers consistent results, with little peeling casualties, and does not leak, unlike some lesser egg poachers.
What’s more, it’s extremely versatile, able to cook omelets, scrambled eggs, and hard-boiled eggs as well as poached eggs!
While being an electric poacher rather than a pan made of stainless steel, its lightweight design makes it easy to store, and its sleek design comes in a variety of colors that include aqua, black, purple, red, white, and yellow. There’s sure to be a color that matches the aesthetic of your kitchen!
At Dash, they’re all about wellness, and cooking and eating more natural foods. They want to make it easier for you to prepare whole, nutritious food at home and help you to make small steps into living a healthier life, full of unprocessed foods.
If the thought of a 12-egg poacher is a bit overwhelming, Dash also makes a poacher that cooks up to 6 eggs at a time.
- Easy to use: This egg cooker has a buzzer that alerts you when your eggs are ready, and is also so safe and easy to use that it could be a great way to introduce children to cooking.
- Versatile: Not only does this poacher let you cook a lot of eggs at once, but you can also use it to steam vegetables, dumplings, seafood, warm tortillas, and more. With the double-decker tiers, you can even cook full meals with it!
- Plenty of features: The Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker includes a poaching tray, omelet bowl, egg holder trays, measuring cup, and even a recipe book and recipe database if you need a little cooking inspiration!
- Dishwasher safe: The non-electric parts of the cooker are all dishwasher safe making it easy to clean.
- Good customer service: A U.S.-based company, Dash provides contact information in each product manual and this egg cooker comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Short power cord: At 1ft long, the power cord may be too short for some.
- Difficult to get proper water level: While this egg cooker is extremely easy to use, some customers reported that the only difficult thing was achieving the correct water level.
- SATISFACTION: Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker is based on the original, most-trusted egg cooker on the market, for perfect eggs your way, every time. Now with twice the egg cooking capacity
- QUICK + EASY: Short on time Simply set it and walk away: the auto-off feature ensures perfectly cooked eggs, and the buzzer will alert you when done
- VERSATILE: From hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, and individual omelets, make them all with the push start button. Eggs cook in minutes and the auto-shut off feature prevents overcooking so you never have to worry about monitoring the process.
- 2 IN 1: Alleviate appliance clutter with the Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker. Steam vegetables, dumplings, seafood, and more. Making full meals is easy with the double decker tiers, and the options are endless. Plus, its sleek design and trendy color options will accent any kitchen space.
- INCLUDES: Dash Deluxe Rapid Egg Cooker is backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty, and it includes a poaching tray, omelet bowl, egg holder trays, measuring cup, and recipes. All non-electric parts are dishwasher safe.
4. Best Electric Egg Poacher: Maxi-Matic Stainless Steel Easy Electric Egg Poacher
One of the benefits of an electric egg poacher is how easy they are to use, and the Maxi-Matic Stainless Steel Easy Electric Egg Poacher is no exception.
It comes with a small plastic cup that tells you how much water to put in for whatever type of egg you want to make, so whether it’s poached, scrambled, or soft-boiled you can’t go wrong!
This egg poacher is perfect for beginners and makes eggs easy to peel.
Its stainless steel construction also makes this electric egg poacher incredibly durable, but it’s still compact enough that storage is incredibly easy.
The Maxi-Matic Stainless Steel Easy Electric Egg Poacher was made by Elite Gourmet whose motto is: “The Family That Cooks, Eats And Stays Healthy Together Is Living An Elite Lifestyle!”
They’re all about families preparing, cooking, and eating together and have designed kitchen products that help you and your family achieve that goal for over 37 years.
The design of the Maxi-Matic has improved from previous versions that did not feature a handle.
- Ease of use: With a 7-egg capacity, the Maxi-Matic can consistently cook soft, medium, or hard-boiled eggs with easy-to-peel shells. To cook your eggs, fill the measuring cup, press the power button once, and within minutes your eggs will be done! With the built-in timer, buzzer, and auto shut-off you can’t go wrong.
- Versatile: The Maxi-Matic isn’t just an egg poacher, but an egg-boiler, scrambler, and omelet and vegetable steamer all in one.
- Compact design: Small and lightweight, the Maxi-Matic can be easily stored into drawers, and is also perfect to take away on camping trips!
- Lifetime warranty: The Maxi-Matic is one of the few egg poachers on the market that offers a lifetime guarantee. That really shows how much faith Elite has in their product.
- Some undercooking: Some customers have reported unwanted runny eggs, and hard-cooked eggs coming out medium-cooked.
- RAPID BOILING: Fill measuring cup with water to desired doneness, press the power button and within minutes your eggs will be "Egg-Celent." Fun and simple to use for family members of all ages. The built-in timer, buzzer and auto-shut off gets it right every time. Faster than conventional stovetop methods.
- EASY-TO-PEEL SHELL: Cook up to 7 eggs in soft, medium, or hard boiled firmness, while saving time and water. Eggs come out consistently perfect, shell is extremely easy to peel, and clean up is a cinch.
- VERSATILITY: Whether pairing with avocado toast or preparing deviled eggs for a potluck, the Elite Gourmet Easy Egg Cooker is an all-in-one egg boiler, poacher, scrambler, omelet/veggie steamer, and more.
- WHATS INCLUDED - Egg Cooker base; Dishwasher Safe Removable Parts: 7-Egg Tray, 2-Egg Poaching Tray, Omelet Tray, Measuring cup with firmness markings, Clear Lid, and Colorful Instruction Manual with 16 delicious recipes.
- 2-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY and US-BASED Customer Support Team lets you buy with confidence.
5. Best Budget-Friendly Egg Poacher: Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave
Eggs are a great high-protein breakfast option for busy mornings, but sometimes you’re too busy to find the time to make them. This is where the Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave comes in!
Since the poacher uses the microwave rather than the stovetop, it cooks eggs in a matter of minutes.
It is advised to start with a two-minute cook time (at 80 power for a 1,000 Watt microwave) and adjust by ten seconds less per every additional 100 Watts to get the best results.
As if it wasn’t easy enough to use, it’s also easy and quick to clean! The Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave is dishwasher safe, making clean-up all the simpler.
It is also the most budget-friendly pick, at roughly $5!
Progressive International is responsible for the brands Prepworks, PL8, Snaplock, and Prep Solutions and it’s Prep Solutions that brings us this microwave egg poacher.
Prepworks pride themselves on making convenient products perfect for the busy home cook that is budget-friendly and help you achieve a healthier lifestyle.
Prepworks’ products are fun, innovative, and available in vibrant colors that are sure to suit any kitchen.
Prepworks strives to make products that are stylish, durable, and have superior functionality while providing unparalleled customer service.
- Quick: The Progressive Prep Solutions Microwave can perfectly poach eggs in less than 2 minutes in the microwave. The easy pour double spout also lets you quickly and easily pour the excess water out
- Easy to use: The water fill line in particular is what makes this microwave egg poacher so easy to use.
- Not messy: The snap-on lid keeps your eggs secure and prevents messes.
- Dishwasher safe: This microwave poacher is not only dishwasher safe, but BPA-free too.
- Possible inconsistent: Some customers have reported that the product is inconsistent and cooks eggs unevenly.
- POACH PERFECT EGGS IN 2 MINUTES OR LESS: The Prep Solutions by Progressive Microwave Poach Perfect can poach up to two eggs perfectly in the microwave in two minutes or less!
- EASY-TO-USE: The water fill line makes it simple and easy to use
- NO-MESS: Use the snap on lid to prevent messes
- EASY POUR DOUBLE SPOUT: After poaching, quickly pour the excess water through the double pour spout and enjoy
- BPA FREE AND DISHWASHER SAFE: This microwave Poach Perfect is BPA-free and dishwasher safe
Frequently Asked Questions
Although products may differ, with most egg poachers you will be required to let the eggs cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they are poached.
While silicone egg poachers are effective, you need to lightly coat the poacher with oil.
Once the eggs are cooked, you will then need to flip the pod inside out to release the egg. This can be messy, however, and there is more of a risk of the egg breaking with a silicone poacher.
Unless stated otherwise on the packaging, you can put silicone egg poachers in the microwave.
Poached eggs are a breakfast staple at the finest restaurants and hotels, but you can make this smooth, tender egg dish at home too! Egg poachers make this incredibly easy, but manually poaching an egg is a great culinary skill to know.
To make the perfect poached eggs you must only use fresh eggs before cracking an egg into a bowl or an egg poacher pan. The pan should be filled with 5cm of water and brought to a simmer.
Then, tip the egg gently and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the white is set. Lift the egg with a slotted spoon, and you are now ready to season your poached eggs with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Viola! A perfect, delicious poached egg!