If you’re looking for a convenient way to preserve leftover or pre-prepared food in your freezer unit, you should definitely consider freezer bags.
Freezer bags are food storage bags that can be put in the freezer as a space-efficient and practical way of keeping your food fresh for longer.
Even if you’re not a meal-prepper, you could be surprised at the difference freezer bags can make to the quality of your food.
When you open a bag of frozen food, it can be tempting to simply roll the opened side of the bag up or clip it in place and put it back.
The problem with this is that you won’t be able to create a fully airtight seal in most cases, which can lead to freezer burn. Freezer burn doesn’t make food dangerous to consume, but it does alter the taste and texture.
We’ve done some extensive research to bring you our selection of the top 5 best freezer bags available through online retailers. We’ll be reviewing freezer bags from Stasher, Ziploc, 365, Glad, and
Without further ado, let’s get started!
Freezer bags might seem like a pretty simple product to evaluate, but there are actually a lot of criteria by which to rank freezable food storage bags.
We thought we’d share our list of criteria with you so that you can weigh up the pros and cons of each reviewed product according to your preferences.
All freezer bags will be made of some kind of plastic material. However, not all plastic is made equal, so it’s important to pay attention to detail in this area.
Polyethylene is a common plastic material used to make freezer bags, and it has many benefits. It’s strong and waterproof, both of which are important in a freezer product. It’s can also be recycled quite easily, which is a plus in terms of eco-friendliness.
If you want to be even more environmentally friendly, though, we recommend platinum silicone, as featured in our top product (see below).
Platinum silicone is a platinum-cured type of silicone that is extra durable. Therefore, bags made of platinum silicone are usually suitable for reuse (although you should always check whether freezer bags are intended for short-term or long-term use before you buy them).
Platinum silicone is also purer than standard silicone, so it’s better in terms of food safety.
Speaking of food safety, you should always check that freezer bags are free from harmful chemicals before you buy them.
Reputable manufacturers, such as the ones we have featured in today’s article, will state that their bags are BPA-free and, ideally, free from Phthalates and PVC. This is what makes a freezer bag safe for contact with food.
To prevent freezer burn, you’ll want to make sure that your new freezer bags have strong, airtight closures.
Freezer bags feature many different closure types, from press-shut closures to zip closures.
Generally speaking, zip closures tend to be preferable because they are normally quicker and easier to use as well as stronger.
If you want to keep your food extra safe, we recommend a multi-system closure. These closures feature more than one seal method for an even better guarantee of airtightness.
You can find freezer bags in various sizes, from sandwich bags to gallon bags.
Before you buy your freezer bags, think about how much food you’ll usually need to store. If this is variable, you might want to consider buying a few different sizes.
Other sizes that freezer bags commonly come in include 2 gallons, half-gallon, quart, half-quart, pint, and snack-sized bags. Between all of these options, you’ll easily be able to find a size that suits your storage needs.
You will also need to consider the pack size that freezer bags are sold in.
Some brands will provide multipacks of freezer bags. So you might be able to buy 4 packs of 40 for a slightly discounted price, for example.
Alternatively, if you don’t store food in the freezer too often, you might just want to buy one pack. In this case, you’ll usually get between 30 and 50 bags per pack.
It is also helpful to know which other appliances, if any, a freezer bag could be compatible with in addition to the freezer.
For instance, if you’re looking for freezer bags because you’re trying to save time by pre-preparing and freezing your meals, we recommend a microwave-safe freezer bag.
This would mean that you wouldn’t even have to worry about taking your meal out of the bag before you heat it back up, saving even more time.
Similarly, some reusable freezer bags can be cleaned in the dishwasher. This won’t be the case for most freezer bags, but platinum silicone bags are more durable and heat-resistant and will be able to handle the conditions inside a dishwasher.
With that being said, you shouldn’t rely on the material of a freezer bag alone to determine its appliance compatibility.
Instead, always check the product information provided by the manufacturer, and if no compatibility is stated, assume that the bag is neither microwave nor dishwasher safe.
Best Freezer Bags
1. Best Overall: Stasher Platinum Silicone Food Grade Reusable Storage Bag
In our opinion, the very best freezer bags money can buy are the Stasher Platinum Silicone Food Grade Reusable Storage Bags.
Stasher is a brand that is entirely dedicated to sustainable and highly functional food storage bags, including freezer bags.
The brand was launched in 2015 by Kat Nouri, who had been looking for an alternative to the disposable and environmentally damaging plastic storage bags sold in many stores.
Today, millions of Stasher bags have been sold, and the brand has accumulated a social media following of over 300,000 people.
These reusable freezer bags from Stasher are made of a material called platinum silicone. Platinum silicone can also be referred to as platinum-cured silicone.
This is a silicone that has a silica backbone and is both purer and stronger than other types of plastic and silicone. Therefore, the Stasher freezer bags are strong enough for long-term, repeated use.
As we’ve just mentioned, platinum silicone is a very pure form of silicone, so it’s free from BPA as well as latex and PVC. Because of this, you can rest assured that your Stasher bag won’t contaminate your food or trigger any allergies.
Since you’ll be reusing your Stasher bag(s), you’ll also be pleased to know that Stasher food bags can be cleaned in the dishwasher in between uses.
When your Stasher bag is in the freezer, the easy-to-use pinch-loc seal will keep your food free from freezer burn, and can even keep it fresh for certain periods of time outside of the freezer, depending on the kind of food.
You can purchase Stasher bags in many different sizes, from ½ gallon to sandwich and snack-size bags, so no matter how much or how little food you have to freeze, Stasher will work for you.
The only real downside to Stasher as a brand, and of this product by extension, is the fact that the bags are quite expensive.
If you can afford to do so, though, we’d highly recommend that you invest in a couple of these since they’re so functional, practical, and eco-friendly. If not, don’t worry - we have plenty more freezer bags to show you today.
- Platinum silicone - Extra strong for long-term reusability
- BPA, latex, and PVC-free - Food safe
- Dishwasher-safe - Easy to clean
- Pinch-loc seal - Ensures freshness
- Available in multiple sizes - Suited to various quantities
- High-end prices - Not the best budget buy
- NOT JUST FOR SANDWICHES SANDWICH BAG: Whether you’re packing your lunch, meal prepping, or just trying to keep your makeup from exploding in your gym bag, this Stasher is as versatile as it is portable; (28 Oz), Aqua
- ENDLESS STORAGE IDEAS: Whether on the go, or in your home, our lunch bag can be used for greens and onions, storing leftovers, steaming veggies, or as an ice or heat pack; Even baby wipes and homemade baby food
- JUST THE STASH: Platinum food-grade silicone Stashers are dishwasher, microwave and oven safe to 400F; Eliminate single-use plastic by using Stasher for snacks, travel and low-waste items like reusable straws and utensils
- EASY TO CARE FOR: Reusable silicone Stashers go from the freezer to the microwave to the oven & dishwasher; Store low-waste items, like reusable straws & utensils, for a portable meal or, so you can refuse single-use plastic
- STASHER'S MISSION: Create a waste-free world through education, action, & advocacy; We pledge 1% of all sales each year to nonprofits protecting the planet because when we all work together, a brighter future is in the bag
2. Runner-Up: Amazon Brand Solimo Freezer Quart Bags
Our runner-up pick in the category of best sandwich bags goes to Amazon’s own Solimo Freezer Quart Bags.
Amazon needs no introduction as a brand, but what you may not know is that the company’s range of freezer bags are very highly reviewed amongst its customer base - so much so that they place second on our list.
These freezer bags are made from BPA-free plastic, which means that you’ll never have to be concerned about the level of contamination between the bag and your food. The bags are totally food-safe and hygienic.
Amazon’s freezer bags are available in multiple sizes, but we’ve chosen to showcase the quart size because it’s a good middle ground where the bag isn’t too large or too small for most quantities of food.
Freezer bags are a useful item to bulk buy - after all, the last thing you want is to realize you’ve run out of freezer bags when you have a portion of food that needs storing. These freezer bags allow you to buy in 120-packs for long-term preparation.
Thanks to the double zip closure at the top of each bag, you can trust these bags to keep non-frozen food fresh and to protect frozen goods against freezer burn to the highest standard.
Our main issue with these freezer bags actually doesn’t concern the product itself, but rather, the packaging. The packaging is on the flimsy side, which means that the bags may be at risk of damage during transit.
- BPA-free plastic - Food safe
- 1-quart size - Plenty of storage space
- 120-pack - Ideal for bulk buying
- Double zip closure - Complete protection against freezer burn
- Insufficient packaging - A few reports of damage on arrival
- Includes 120 freezer quart storage bags
- Each food storage bag holds 1 quart
- Reclosable top has a double zipper closure
- BPA free
- If you like Ziploc Freezer Bags, Quart, we invite you to try Solimo Freezer Quart Bags
3. Best for Meat: Glad Food Storage Freezer Bags
Meat is a very sensitive food group that requires extra care in storage. Therefore, we thought it would be wise to include a bag specifically tried and tested on meat products, with excellent results.
Glad manufacture practical bag products for home use, from trash bags to food bags. The brand has been around since 1963 and is known for its reliability and functionality, making Glad bags the perfect choice for meat products.
These Glad Food Storage Freezer Bags are made of extra-thick plastic to prevent tearing or leaking, so you can use these bags with complete confidence that your meat won’t develop freezer burn. This plastic is also BPA-free, so there’s no chemical contamination risk.
The bags come in packs of 160, which means that one purchase will see you through your storage needs for a long time.
Each bag has a capacity of one gallon, so you can store large quantities of food in every bag, including sizeable cuts of meat.
The double seal at the top of the bag is completely airtight, so again, freezer burn won’t be an issue. However, it’s important to note that the seal is a press-down seal and not a zipper seal as advertised. This does not impact the quality of the seal, but the press-down method does take longer.
- Extra thick BPA-free plastic - Very durable and food safe
- 160 bags total - Long-lasting purchase
- Gallon size - Ideal for large cuts of meat
- Double seal - 100% airtight
- Wide seal area - Easy to manipulate
- No zipper - Seal is incorrectly advertised as a zipper
- ZIPPER GALLON FREEZER BAGS: Glad zipper freezer bags are BPA free, have a zipper closure and are an essential storage solution for a busy kitchen
- DOUBLE SEAL LOCK ZIPPER: With a quick glide of the Yellow and Blue Make Green Seal, these one gallon freezer bags provide an airtight zip seal
- DURABLE FREEZER BAG: Glad Zipper Freezer Bags prevent freezer burn with extra thick and durable plastic and a zipper lock that securely closes every time
- GALLON ZIPPER FREEZER BAG: Gallon Freezer Bags are ideal for storing food before and after preparation, marinating meat or use as a durable reusable plastic bag to pack and organize items while traveling or on the go
- EXTRA WIDE SEAL: Glad Food Storage Zipper Bags for the freezer are complete with an extra wide zip seal allowing you to lock tight, and open with ease, every time
4. Best Budget: 365 Everyday Value, Double Zipper Freezer Bags
If you’re looking for some inexpensive yet good quality and highly functional storage bags for your freezer, we recommend the 365 Everyday Value Double Zipper Freezer Bags.
365 is a branch of Whole Foods Market that aims to provide customers with affordable products for kitchen use. All products from this brand are Non-GMO or organic, and most importantly, they retail for accessible prices. 365 was founded in 1997 and has enjoyed huge success since then.
When you purchase these freezer bags, you’ll receive a pack of 40, which is excellent value for the price.
The bags are made from 100% polyethylene, so they have good tensile strength and are totally leak-proof. The plastic doesn’t contain BPA, PVC, or Phthalates, so it’s also completely food-safe.
The double zipper closures on these bags create an airtight seal, keeping the freshness of your food in and freezer burn out.
The thing to remember, however, is that these bags are not designed to be reusable. Therefore, they are not a particularly eco-friendly choice.
- 100% polyethylene - Strong and leak-proof
- 40 bags - Good value for money
- BPA, PVC, and Phthalate free - No contaminants
- Double zipper closure - Airtight
- Not reusable - Not the most durable or eco-friendly
- 365 by Whole Foods Market products give you that dance-down-the-aisles feeling, virtual aisles too! Our huge range of choices with premium ingredients at prices you can get down with makes grocery shopping so much more than tossing the basics in your cart.
5. Best for Large Quantities: Ziploc Gallon Food Storage Freezer Bags
Finally, for storing large quantities of any food in the freezer, you can’t do better than the Ziploc Gallon Food Storage Freezer Bags.
Ziploc is a very popular brand in the food storage market. The company was founded in 1968 and started out manufacturing boiling bags before moving on to storage and sandwich bags. Today, Ziploc’s freezer bags are the best on the market for large portions.
Each purchase of these bags will get you 120 bags, so you can make sure you always have a good stock of your essential food storage items.
You can store the equivalent to a gallon of food in a single bag thanks to Ziploc’s high capacity. The plastic material is free from harmful chemicals, including BPA, so your food won’t get chemically contaminated.
The triple system seal built into these Ziploc freezer bags helps to ensure that any food you store in the bags is completely safe from freezer burn and bacterial contamination.
This is achieved through the combination of Grip ‘n Seal technology with a double Smart Zip Plus seal, which creates an effective seal against air and bacteria.
Additionally, the Ziploc freezer bags are microwaveable, so they’re great for meal preppers: just take your bag of food out of the freezer and put it straight in the microwave to warm up!
The only issue we encountered with these bags is that the seal is so strong it can be quite difficult to get the bags open again.
- 120 bags - Good value
- Gallon bags - Perfect for large portions
- Triple system seal - Very strong and airtight
- BPA-free - No chemical contamination
- Microwaveable - Convenient for meal prep
- Bags can be difficult to open - Not always ergonomic to use
- Slider closure,Stand and fill.
- Expandable bottom,Gallon-size bags.
- Box Tops for Education.
- Four boxes in pack of 30 bags each = 120 total.
- Perfect for pantry, refrigerator, freezer and multiple home organization uses.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you may have noticed from the products we’ve featured in our review section, there is an overlap between freezer bags and storage bags.
However, this doesn’t mean that all food storage bags can be used as freezer bags. Before you purchase a food storage bag for freezer use, please check through the product guidelines to make sure that freezing will not damage the structural integrity of the bag.
If you’d prepare to use Tupperware containers to store your frozen food, that’s completely up to you. Tupperware boxes are airtight containers, so they’re a safe way to store food.
However, Tupperware containers are typically bulky, meaning that they take up a lot of space in your freezer compared to bags.
You might also prefer to save your Tupperware for taking your lunch to work or generally transporting food items away from home, which storage bags are less suitable for.