German knives are a must-have in a foodie’s kitchen. Incredibly durable, sharp, designed for tough jobs, and resistant to breakage - these knives mean business.
The only downside to German knives is that they are far heavier than other kitchen knives, and their high-quality construction makes them much more expensive, too. Still, the quality of the knives outweighs the disadvantages.
If you’re looking for a good set of German knives for your kitchen, you’ve come to the right place! We have completed extensive research to find the best German knives on the market to suit every need.
The knives we recommend are from reputable brands, including Vestaware, Wüsthof, Mueller Austria, and McCook. We have characterized each product into a category for their best purpose, such as the best for those on a budget or the best set of knives, to help you figure out which product is best for you.
Let’s get started!
Before we get into the product reviews, here are the key criteria points we used to compare and contrast each German knife product.
Not only do you want the durability of the blade, but you’ll want the handle of the knives to remain in good condition. German knives are heavy and characteristically durable, but a knife that breaks within months of use is a sign of a low-quality knife. Given how expensive German knives are, you’ll want to find a product that can last many years.
Unlike other knives, German knives have slightly specific maintenance requirements. Are the knives dishwasher-safe? In most cases, no. Do they just need to be hand washed? Where can the knives be stored?
Of course, the sharpness of a knife is one of the main factors in buying it. What’s the point in buying a knife that needs sharpening after every use? Most German knives have brilliant edge retention, which means they can stay sharp for longer without sharpening, but this is still worth considering.
Like the durability, you will want a set of German knives that won’t rust any time soon. A rusting knife is a sign of a low-quality one. Stainless steel blades have properties that are said to be corrosion and rust-resistant, but can this be said for every product?
Best German Knives
1. Best Overall Product: Vestaware 16-Piece German Knife Set
These are thick knives with extra-sharp edges to ensure maximum durability. There are 16 knives in this set, which means that even if one knife breaks (which is highly unlikely), then you have 15 backups.
These are not dishwasher safe. To maintain the sharpness of the blade and the shine, users should handwash the knives. This knife set comes with a classic knife block to store the knives safely, ensuring a longer service life.
These knives are designed to retain the blade sharpness for longer than regular knives. This allows for precise cutting and longer service life. This set also comes with a handy sharpener rod.
Made of high-carbon stainless steel, these knives are designed to resist rust and corrosion. If they are cleaned in the dishwasher, however, rust is more likely to appear.
Vestaware is a professional knife and kitchenware manufacturer based in Florida. The company’s ethos focuses on quality, detail, craftsmanship, and aesthetics. Vestaware’s products are used by professional chefs and home kitchens alike.
Why is this the best overall product?
This knife set has it all - 16 German knives, including two chef knives, a bread knife, six steak knives, and a sharpener rod. Considering how many knives come in one set, the price point is justifiable. The knives come in a gorgeous wooden block for protective storage, which also looks good on any kitchen counter.
These German knives are all about quality craftsmanship. The high-carbon stainless steel sharp blade is met with a hardy rosewood handle that looks as stylish as it is professional.
Customers are very impressed with the quality of this knife set. Most have complimented how fast and precise the sharp blades are at cutting foods such as raw chicken. Customers also appreciate the number of knives in the set and how handy the knives have become in the kitchen for a variety of purposes.
- High-quality: Expert craftsmanship has produced sharp and durable knives
- Stylish: Gorgeous rosewood handle and matching knife block looks aesthetically pleasing
- Large set: 16-piece set provides a knife for every purpose
- Not dishwasher-safe: Cleaning must be done by hand to prevent rust
- PROFESSIONAL KITCHEN KNIFE SET - 16-piece knife set is designed for the personalized kitchen to meet all the needs of kitchen tools. Includes: 7.7"chef knife, 6"chef knife, 8"bread knife, 8"slicing knife, 7"santoku knife, 8"knife sharpener rod, 5.5"kitchen shear, 4.7"utility knife, 3.2"paring knife, 4.5"steak knives set of 6 and wood knife block. Ideal choice for kitchen!
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Knives set is made of superior german high-carbon stainless steel for precision and accuracy. No rust, stains or pitting! After professional forging and polishing technology, the blade is ultra sharp and durable, more precise cutting effect. Ergonomic wooden handle provides excellent balance and comfort, easy cutting!
- PERFECT DESIGN - Classic knife block design is easy to store and take out the knives, which greatly saves counter space. The wooden knife block is more sturdy and durable. Triple rivets and full tang wood handle integrate the features of non-slip, sturdiness and cutting balance, comfortable control, precise cutting, enjoy cooking process!
- EASY CARE - kitchen knife set is easy to clean, and keep it dry after washing. In order to protect the sharpness and gloss of the knife, please do not put it in the dishwasher and hand-wash is recommended!
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE - Vestaware knife block set ships from Amazon. We provide One-year Replacement and 24-hour Friendly Customer Service. If you have any questions or demands about the knife sets for kitchen with block, please do not hesitate to contact us!
2. Best Product for Quality: Wüsthof Classic 7-Piece German Knife Set
The quality of knives is the top priority for Wüsthof. This knife set is no exception - made of a top-quality high-carbon stainless steel with a full-tang handle for heightened durability. This means that the blade runs all the way through the knife to the end of the handle, meaning the blade will never detach from the handle.
These knives are not dishwasher-safe, and it is recommended to wash them by hand to preserve their quality. A knife block is included to store the knives safely.
The blades of the knives, made of a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel, are designed for sharpness and precision. The set comes with honing steel for sharpening.
As long as the knives aren’t frequently washed in the dishwasher, the stainless steel blade should be resistant to corrosion and rust.
Wüsthof is one of the top brands of German knives in the world. Originating in Solingen, a city known as the “city of blades” in Germany, Wüsthof knows exactly what they’re doing in terms of top-quality craftsmanship. The company has been run by the same family for over 200 years.
Why is this the best product for quality?
The company speaks for itself - Wüsthof is one of the top brands in the world for German knives. Their classic knife set is no exception to this, providing top-quality knives that are commonly found in professional kitchens across the world.
The knives themselves are made with a single layer of forged steel for a precise cut that follows all the way to the bottom of the handle, ensuring no breakage from the blade. The handles are ergonomically designed for comfort, complete with a full bolster to protect the fingers and provide balance.
Customers are very impressed with the quality of these knives - stating they are a time saver in the kitchen. Some customers have found they have used every piece in the 7-piece set despite only thinking they would need one or two knives. Customers have also said this is the best starter German knife set for foodies.
- Top quality: Made from single-layer stainless steel for a precise and sharp blade
- Reputable company: Made directly from the city of blades in Germany with expert craftsmanship
- Good set size: 7-piece set includes knives, sharpening rod, and scissors
- Price: Due to the quality of this product, this is an expensive set
- 7-piece set includes 3-½-inch paring knife, 6-inch utility knife, 8-inch bread knife, 8-inch cook's knife, 9-inch honing steel, kitchen shears, and 13-slot storage block
- Precision forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Full-tang, triple-riveted synthetic handles afford superior strength and balance
- Washing by hand recommended; made in Germany
- Measures approximately 12 by 10 by 12 inches; limited lifetime warranty
3. Best Cleaver Product: Mueller Austria 7-inch Cleaver Knife
This is a hardy knife designed specifically for slicing, cutting, and cleaving meats of all textures. Made of German stainless steel, this knife has a sharp blade and a strong handle to prevent the blade from separating from the handle. While it is a heavy knife, this is for durability purposes.
This knife is dishwasher-safe, but we recommend cleaning and drying it by hand to maintain the sharpness and quality of the knife. While the product comes in a box, it does not come with a knife block for protective storage.
This knife is made of a German stainless steel blade that is cut at an 18-degree angle, which is ideal for slicing effortlessly through the meat. It does not come with a knife sharpener rod.
The blade is stainless steel, so it should be resistant to corrosion and rust. However, as it claims to be dishwasher-safe, there is a possibility for rust to form if it is cleaned in the dishwasher regularly.
This is why we recommend hand washing the knife. The handle is hardy and resistant to water damage, so it won’t hold any water that can rust the blade.
Mueller Austria is one of the top brands globally for kitchenware, producing everything from knives to pasta makers. The California-based company is so popular due to its high-quality, professional-grade products that are affordable (for the quality) and offer great performance.
Why this is the best cleaver?
Meat cleavers aren’t considered a necessity in most household kitchens. However, if you’re in a household of meat lovers, you have to get a cleaver. Cleavers are hardier than regular knives, which means they can work with good quality pieces of meat in a variety of ways - from deboning to chopping.
This is one of the best cleavers on the market in terms of quality. Not only is it affordable, but this cleaver is designed to last several years. Ideal for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Overall, the customer experience of this cleaver is a very good one. Customers are impressed by the quality of this knife and how easy it makes to handle meat. Plus, customers have experienced using the cleaver for other foods like vegetables, and they have been impressed by the sharpness.
- Hardy: Incredibly powerful and durable knife is ideal for cutting, deboning, and cleaving meat
- Affordable: Don’t break the bank for a high-quality cleaver
- Versatile: Sharpness is ideal for cutting other foods
- Storage: No storage options are included with this product (no knife block)
- Premium Durability And Quality - Mueller super sharp Chinese Cleaver Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, quickly re-sharpens and is easy to clean and maintain. High-quality steel will offer you a high-quality experience and performance.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver’s Knife - Designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications and it can be used for your daily kitchen tasks, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Extremely Sharp Edge - Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough all kinds of meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest engineering.
- Pakkawood Handle - The wooden handle is made of pakka wood, with layers of wooden stacked together for a perfect radiance from the wood grain. The handle is dense and compact, deterring any water damages, while avoiding the splitting that is common in other wooden materials. To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, after holding it continuously for an extended time, the Chinese knife's handle provides you a secure comfortable grip, not easy to slip, sturdy and labor-saving.
- Superior Quality With Mueller - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us, our professional customer support is always here for you!
4. Best Budget Product: McCook MC21 15-Piece Knife Set
It is highly unlikely that the blade will separate from the handle with these knives, as the knives have a full-tang construction (meaning the blade runs through the handle). Sure, the fact the handles aren’t made of wood might be a downside for some, but these knives will last many years without breakage.
These knives are made of stainless steel and are therefore not dishwasher-safe. Instead, they should be cleaned and dried by hand. This knife set comes with a handy (and very attractive) knife block for protective storage.
These German knives are made from high-quality stainless steel with a tapered edge for precise cutting. This set comes with a knife sharpener rod to easily sharpen the knives whenever necessary.
As long as the knives aren’t exposed to water for long periods of time (like in the dishwasher), they will be resistant to corrosion and rust.
McCook is a company that specifically makes knives of a professional level for both experts and household kitchens at an affordable price.
Why this is the best budget product?
Not everyone can afford an expensive set of German knives. For new homeowners or young people who have only just left their parent’s place, buying kitchenware can be an expensive and daunting process. This knife set, however, offers a great deal for those on a budget.
Even though the price is affordable, the quality of this knife set is high. Users can feel comfort in knowing that their knives will last several years with good care.
Customers are very impressed by the quality of this knife set, considering the affordable price point. They have complimented the sharpness of the knives, the versatility to chop virtually any food, and the handy knife block.
- Affordable: Don’t break the bank on an expensive knife set when this one acts in the same way at a lower price
- Durable: Full tang construction won’t break the blade from the handle
- Good set: 15-piece set includes a chef knife, kitchen shears, slicing knife, sharpener, and more
- Handles: Handles are made of stainless steel instead of wood, which some customers might not like for aesthetic reasons
- PREMIUM KITCHEN KNIFE SET - Tarnish-resistant and rust-resistant, this high carbon stainless steel cutlery set is of restaurant and culinary school knife set quality. All our knives have gone through at least 5 checks before shipping out
- WORLD CLASS KNIFE SET - Exclusive taper grind edge technology provides optimum sharpness for precise cutting and is easy to re-sharpen. The ergonomically designed handle provides comfort and confidence in handling
- EASY TO STORAGE - All knives store safely in the hard wood knife block with built-in sharpener for space efficient storage
- VALUE SET - 15 pieces knife set includes: 8" chef knife, 8" slicing knife, 5" santoku knife, 5.5" serrated utility knife, 5" utility knife, 3.5" paring knife, 6pcs 4.5" serrated steak knife, 2 pairs of kitchen shears, and hard wood knife block with built-in sharpener
- EASY CARE - The kitchen knife set with block is easy and fast to clean. To protect the sharpness and glossiness of the knives, please DO NOT wash the knives in dishwasher. Clean and dry them immediately after hand washing to get the most out of them.
5. Best Standard German Knife: Wüsthof Classic 6-inch Cook's Knife
Wüsthof understands that standard cook’s knives need to be durable as they will be the most used knife in a kitchen. This is why they have developed a high-quality knife, complete with a long-lasting handle to prevent discoloration and a blade with Precision Edge Technology to retain its sharpness.
This knife is not designed to be cleaned in a dishwasher, so make sure to clean and dry it by hand to prevent rusting. It does not come with a knife block for protective storage, so make sure to store it appropriately to prevent affecting the blade.
The high-carbon stainless steel blade has been designed with Precision Edge Technology that provides a clean and precise cut to any food. This knife doesn’t come with a knife sharpener, but German knives are designed to retain their blade sharpness for longer than regular knives.
This knife should be resistant to rust and corrosion due to the stainless steel blade. To ensure this, make sure not to wash it in the dishwasher.
Based in the “city of blades” in Solingen, Germany, Wüsthof is one of the most reputable German knife brands in the world. Wüsthof has been run by the same family for 200 years, ensuring the best craftsmanship of their products.
Why this is the best small German knife?
Sometimes, all people need is a standard knife to use for most meals. Not everyone is bothered about buying a whole German knife set if they know they will only use one knife. This knife is a versatile one that is designed to do multiple things in the kitchen - from dicing onions to chopping tough meat.
Customers are impressed by the sharpness and convenience of this knife, raving about how much of a time-saver it is in the kitchen.
- Versatile: Ideal for chopping, dicing, and slicing multiple foods
- Top quality: Made from one of the best German knife brands in the world
- Sharp: Precision Edge Technology ensures for a precise cut every time
- Single knife: Just a knife, doesn’t come in a set
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The WÜSTHOF 6” Classic Chef’s Knife is essential for preparing any meal. This all-purpose cook’s knife can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The Full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the Classic Line offer the widest range of cutlery that can satisfy every home cook or professional chef. The WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our best-selling series for generations
- CHEF’S KNIFE – Features a 6” long blade. Full Bolster and Finger Guard, German Made Cook’s Knife. Ergonomic handle design made from a long-lasting synthetic material to resist fading and discoloration
- PRECISION FORGED – The 6” Chef’s Knife is forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Frequently Asked Questions
The best brands of German knives are Wüsthof, Mercer, Mueller Austria, Vestaware, Zwilling J.A. Henckels, and Messermeister.
German knives are some of the hardiest knives on the market. These knives are designed to retain their sharpness for longer periods than other knives, so their service life is meant to be much longer.
While they are heavier, this is only because of the sturdy full-tang construction that ensures the blade doesn’t separate away from the handle.
The reason German knives work so well is their ergonomic design. The blade and handles are curved to facilitate the rocking motion of chopping, ensuring a precise and consistent chop every time.
The main downside to German knives is that they are generally more expensive than other knives. This is because the quality of the materials used and the craftsmanship is of professional standards.
Most professional kitchens will have a set of German knives, and foodie households are beginning to catch on to the trend to enhance their cooking skills.