Mashed potato is a staple comfort food that can lend a wholesome and hearty quality to any meal, from roast meats to fish and vegetable-based dishes.
While mashed potato is not a complicated dish to make, it does require the right tools if you want to achieve your desired consistency.
Trying to make a serving of mashed potato using the wrong utensils (a standard eating fork, for example), is likely to result in a lumpy and inconsistent texture.
Although some people might prefer a chunkier mash, if you want a professional-looking, smooth, and creamy mash, you’ll need to use a more purpose-built tool.
If you want to try your hand at making your own mashed potato, we highly recommend investing in a high-quality potato masher.
We’ve done a lot of research and extensive testing to bring you our selection of the top 5 best potato mashers on the market right now, so keep reading to find the perfect masher for you!
Before we show you what we consider to be the best potato mashers on the culinary utensil market, we’d like to walk you through the key criteria that we used to select these products.
Hopefully, our outline of the key factors and features to bear in mind will help you to choose your ideal potato masher.
First and foremost, before you go ahead and purchase your new potato masher, you will need to make one crucial decision: what type of masher are you looking for?
You might be surprised to learn that potato mashers are constructed according to a variety of designs, which can significantly alter the application, functionality, and ease of use of the utensil.
The first question you’ll need to ask yourself is whether you feel that a manual or electric potato masher would best suit your needs.
While an electric potato masher might instinctively sound like the better choice because it reduces the need for physical exertion during the mashing process.
However, the drawbacks are that electric mashers are almost invariably more expensive than manual models and are likely to require more care when cleaning (you can’t simply leave an electric masher to soak in the kitchen sink, for example).
With manual potato mashers, you have to pay close attention to the construction materials listed in the product guidelines.
In the absence of an electric mechanism, your manual potato masher will need to be strong enough to withstand heavy-duty use. We’ll go into further detail.
If you do decide to opt for a manual masher, your next decision will be which specific type of manual potato masher to buy.
The four most common types of manual potato mashers are slotted mashers, hole mashers, wire mashers, and bladed mashers.
Hole mashers tend to be the best choice if you want a smoother mashed potato consistency.
These types of mashers feature holes across the surface of the masher, which is typically smaller than the slots in slotted mashers. This ensures that larger lumps of potatoes are broken up as much as possible.
Slotted mashers are also highly effective, although the resultant mash will normally be a little chunkier than that produced using a masher with holes in it.
Wire potato mashers are quite similar to slotted mashers in terms of the mash consistency that they produce. The wire is usually bent into a wave-like shape which loosely mimics the surface of a slotted masher.
The main difference is that the space between the wire waves is usually larger than the slots in slotted mashers, meaning that the mash will be even chunkier.
Alternatively, you could always opt for a bladed masher. Bladed potato mashers allow you to mash potatoes as well as other foods (vegetables, fruit, and meat) by pressing the masher into the food.
The blades help to scrape every last scrap of food from the container you are mashing in without the issue of food getting stuck, which is quite common with slotted and hole mashers.
Based on your personal preferences when it comes to the consistency of your mashed potato, you can use the above information to determine which masher style will work best for you.
When assessing the durability of a potato masher, the key feature to focus on is the material or combination of materials used in its construction.
In most cases, you will want your potato masher to be made of metal in as many areas as possible. Specifically, stainless steel is an excellent material choice for a potato masher because it is very strong, lightweight, and corrosion-resistant.
This means that it has good longevity, is easy to use, and can be easily cleaned without worrying about rust.
Stainless steel can also be wiped clean very easily, so even if you do still want to err on the side of caution when it comes to corrosion, you can simply wipe down the masher instead of rinsing or soaking it.
With that being said, there are certain types of plastic that work very well in the form of culinary utensils, such as mashers. For example, nylon is a very strong thermoplastic material that also happens to be very easy to clean.
It is generally safe for dishwasher cleaning as well as safe for use in non-stick cookware, although it is best to verify these two factors via individual product reviews.
While the heads of high-quality potato mashers will often be made of stainless steel, with a few exceptions, potato masher handles are usually plastic or rubberized. This is to help ensure that the masher is comfortable and ergonomic to use.
Something else to bear in mind when purchasing a potato masher is its size.
The most important dimensions to verify before the point of purchase are the dimensions of the masher head. The larger the head of your potato masher is, the faster and more efficiently you’ll be able to mash your potatoes.
It is also easier to apply more force when using a larger masher because you can apply more elbow grease without worrying about damaging the fragile structure of a smaller masher.
While we’re on the subject of size, if storage space might be an issue for you, you have the option of choosing a foldable or collapsible potato masher.
These mashers usually fold between the head and the handle so that the masher can remain more compact while in storage.
Ease of Use
The ease of use of a potato masher is usually dictated by a combination of factors.
As we touched on in our section about durability, it’s important to have a plastic or rubberized handle on the end of your potato masher to ensure that it is comfortable to hold.
Compared to metal, these materials will dig into the palms of your hands less during intensive mashing.
Where possible, the materials used in the construction of your potato masher’s handle should be non-slip.
If the handle slips in your hand during use, this could not only make the process of mashing more frustrating and difficult, but it could actually cause an accident in the kitchen.
While we’re on the subject of masher handles, high-quality mashers should always have curved or contoured handles. This will help the masher to fit mort comfortably in your hand.
The best way to avoid issues with cleaning your potato masher is to select a masher without small holes or slots.
While this might make it a little more difficult to create a perfectly smooth mash, it will also mitigate the risk of small pieces of food becoming lodged in the masher.
Not only can this situation cause you to waste a lot of time meticulously cleaning your masher, but it can result in bacterial growth if it goes unnoticed.
To ensure an easy clean-up process, try to prioritize stainless steel or thermoplastic materials.
Always verify through the product guidelines whether a potato masher is safe for use in the dishwasher.
Best Potato Masher
1. Best Overall: ZYLISS Potato Masher
Zyliss is a kitchenware brand based in Zurich, Switzerland. The brand is well-established, having been founded in 1951.
However, in recent years, the quality of Zyliss’s cookware and kitchen utensils has enabled the company to rise through the ranks - so much so that the Zyliss Potato Masher tops our list as the best potato masher on the market overall.
When it comes to standard potato mashers, buyers often feel as though they have to choose between mashers that will produce a smooth consistency and those that will make quick work of the mashing process. With the Zyliss masher, however, you get the best of both worlds!
The head of the Zyliss masher features smaller holes on the inside with larger holes around the outside.
This means that the masher can simultaneously break down potato chunks quickly with the outside holes while creating a smooth, creamy consistency with the inside perforations.
The Zyliss potato masher is made from premium stainless steel, which makes the utensil very strong and durable as well as easy to wipe clean without causing corrosion.
Alternatively, because the masher is dishwasher-safe, you can choose to clean it this way instead.
Another great thing about this potato masher is the fact that it comes with an integrated bowl scraper which is made of silicone helps to minimize any waste.
Our only criticism of this masher is that it does sit quite heavily in the hand, which can begin to feel quite tiring after several minutes of mashing.
- Premium stainless steel - Highly durable
- Silicone bowl scraper - Minimal waste
- Small inside holes - Great for smooth mash
- Larger outside holes - Quick mashing process
- Safe for dishwasher - Easy to clean
- Relatively heavy - May induce hand fatigue
- Metal Potato Masher: The premium stainless steel masher includes a soft-touch handle for secure grip
- Masher Kitchen Tool: This gadget features small inner holes and larger outer holes for quick mashing
- Simple Kitchen Gadget & Tool: The masher features an integrated hanging hook for easy drawer storage
- Easy Kitchen Cleanup: The integrated silicone bowl scraper removes leftover food for less waste
- Zyliss Kitchen Accessories: Zyliss kitchen tools are favored by everyday cooks & gourmet chefs alike
Farberware was first founded in New York at the beginning of the 20th century. The brand has come a long way since then with the help of the Meyer Corporation.
The company is known today for producing high-quality, durable kitchen products for affordable prices.
The Farberware Professional Heat Resistant Nylon Meat and Potato Masher is a 2-in-1 product that retails for a very reasonable price, delivering excellent value for money.
The nylon material used to construct this masher is strong and resistant to heat. It feels lightweight to work with, so arm and hand fatigue is minimal, even with big mashing jobs.
The 5, angled blades around the masher head work quickly and efficiently, scraping the sides of the bowl to reduce waste.
However, the deep angles of the blade design do mean that some food may get stuck and need additional scrubbing during cleaning.
- 5 angled blades - Efficient and low-waste
- Nylon - Strong, lightweight, and heat-resistant
- Works for meat and potatoes - Multipurpose
- Safe for non-stick and coated cookware - Wide application
- Budget-friendly - Great value
- Sharp angles - Food may get stuck
- Easily cook ground beef and ground turkey with this multi-functional meat chopper utensil
- The 5-blade design lets this hamburger meat chopper double as a masher; Quickly mix and mash softer cooked foods, like potatoes, yams, pumpkin, squash, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, carrots, apples, bananas, and more
- Heat resistant: the oversized, BPA-free nylon head is heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a safe tool for cooking ground meat, potatoes, and other hot foods; Safe to use on all types of cookware including nonstick and coated
- Easy to use: mash by pressing blades into cooked food until desired consistency is achieved; angled blades scrape the sides of bowls and pots while mixing and mashing
- Easy to clean: dishwasher safe, making clean up quick and easy
3. Best Budget: Zulay Kitchen Potato Masher
If you’re looking to buy an inexpensive potato masher that does the job without the need for multiple functions or additional bells and whistles, we recommend the Zulay Kitchen Potato Masher.
Zulay is a smaller, family-owned, yet widely-respected brand initially founded relatively recently in 2015.
In a short space of time, however, the Florida-based company has become known for producing great-quality kitchenware as well as fantastic customer service for surprisingly affordable prices.
This wire potato masher features a head made of stainless steel wire, which is amazingly durable considering the affordable price point.
The handle of this potato masher is long and very smooth, so it feels comfortable and non-abrasive to use. Despite being so smooth, it does not slip in the hand and can be used painlessly for extensive periods of time.
You can also use this masher for a variety of other fruits and vegetables, although the spaces between the lengths of wire are larger than with some other mashers, so we wouldn’t necessarily recommend it if you prefer completely smooth mash.
- Stainless steel wire - Wear-resistant and easy to clean
- Smooth, long handle - Comfortable to use
- Suitable for multiple food types - Multipurpose
- Low price - Highly affordable
- Large spaces between wire - Best for chunkier mash
- MAKE DELICIOUS MASHED POTATOES FROM SCRATCH - Make healthy and delicious mashed potatoes at home without tirelessly working in the kitchen all day. Cut down on your prep time and get food to the table faster. Get amazing texture and consistency using this stainless steel masher.
- GREAT QUALITY AND EASY TO USE - This Premium Potato Masher & Squasher features a long and smooth plastic grip, plus a sturdy Stainless Steel Wire Head allowing you to mash steaming vegetables while keeping your hand secured. Its comfortable grip is easy to hold requiring less effort to get the job done.
- HAVE FUN MASHING VEGGIES & FRUITS - Whether you prefer Mashed or Whipped Potatoes, this multi-use tool is great for more than just being a potatoes smasher. The Masher & Smasher is great for yams, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, root vegetables, avocado and steamed vegetables. Use it to make creamy guacamole or break apart ground beef. Try it on apples, bananas, beans or to make baby food or an egg salad. Use it to create low-carb cauliflower mashed potatoes as well as mashing hard boiled eggs.
- GREAT VALUE - This amazing Potato Masher is moderately priced making it a valuable mini kitchen gadget. It’s extremely durable, made with Food Grade Stainless Steel. It works like a charm, giving you great performance and professional results for berry and avocado smashing in almost any bowl. It is very easy to clean and comes with a large in-handle hole for hanging storage. Dishwasher-safe so you can keep your Egg Masher Clean and Family Happy!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We believe in our products and are confident you will absolutely love your new Potato Masher. If you experience any issues or difficulties with this product, immediately contact our amazing Customer Service and we will solve the issue for you. So, go ahead and click on the BUY NOW button!
4. Best Electric: JIEQIJIAJU Electric Potato Masher
JIEQIJIAJU is a company that you may not have heard of before, but that hasn’t stopped this China-based brand from producing the most well-reviewed electric potato masher on the market.
The JIEQIJIAJU Electric Potato Masher is actually a 3-in-1 utensil with different blade inserts that can be used for mashing, blending, or chopping ingredients. This makes it a versatile, multipurpose tool.
Because this masher is electric, you don’t need to tire yourself out with any actual mashing work. Just grip the curved, ergonomic handle and hold the masher in position while the electric mechanism does the rest!
The handle feels smooth in the hand, while the rubberized material ensures a non-slip experience. Plus, the plastic construction of the rest of the masher keeps it lightweight.
This is a fast-operating masher that can produce dishes of smooth mashed potato in just 20 seconds.
However, because the holes around the outside of the masher head are quite small, you may find that the head is difficult to cleanout.
- 3-in-1 functionality - Mash, blend, or chop
- Electric - No fatigue
- Fast-working - 20-second mashing time
- Curved handle - Comfortable to use
- Small holes - There may be some food wastage
- Mashed Potatoes in Seconds: Forget about gloopy and sticky mash, 250 Watt powerful potato masher with immersion hand blender 3-in-1 Set, you can get creamy, fluffy and smooth potatoes in as little as 20 seconds, making food mixing more efficient, evenly and smoothly
- Quality and Safety Material: It adopts a simple shaped body with a plastic handle for firm holding and easy mixing, and equipped with a protection device to prevent overheating, the detachable blade is easily removable, easy to clean it with warm water or damp cloth
- Light Work of Blending, Pureeing and Whisking: The potato machine is easy to operate, put it directly in your cooking pan, pot or bowl, then hold down the ON button, you don't have to scrape anything down like a traditional hand mixer
- Less Strain on Your Hand : Stop wrestling with a potato masher, fork, ricer or whisk to get the job done, a stick blender is lightweight and requires zero elbow grease to use, this electric food processor is quite effortless to operate
- Multiple Food Blender: You can also whip up wonderfully fresh potatoes, baby food, eggs, desserts, veggies, soups and sauces, etc; it is soon to become the most versatile appliance in your kitchen and meal prep, provide restaurant-quality potatoes for your family and friends
5. Best Collapsible: Joseph Joseph Delta Folding Potato Masher
Joseph Joseph is a U.K-based homeware brand that was founded in 2002. The brand prides itself on innovation and functionality, which is why it comes as no surprise that Joseph Joseph’s Delta Folding Potato Masher is the best collapsible potato masher out there.
The first thing you’ll notice about this masher is the curved nylon head. This head is wear-resistant and durable, but even better, it’s curved at the edges, making it easier to use in round bowls with minimal food waste.
Meanwhile, the stainless steel shaft, topped with a plastic, non-slip handle, ensures that the Joseph Joseph potato masher is ergonomic and comfortable to work with for long periods of time.
The best thing about this masher, however, is its folding function. The head can fold flat for easier storage in tight spaces. When in use, all you need to do is lock the head back into place.
We did notice, however, that the lock can become easily dislodged during use, so make sure that your potatoes are as soft as possible before mashing to avoid displacing the mechanism.
- Curved nylon head - Tough and ergonomic
- Stainless steel shaft - Long-lasting
- Non-slip handle - Practical to work with
- Foldable - Convenient for storage
- Dishwasher-safe - Easy cleaning
- Locking mechanism can be dislodged - Use with care
- Durable nylon mashing plate folds flat for compact storage
- Designed to fit into curved bowl edges
- Stainless-steel shaft with locking collar
- Comfortable non-slip handle
- Dishwasher safe
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to make mashed potatoes and do not have a potato masher on hand, you can try to create a mash using a piece of cutlery such as a fork.
However, this is unlikely to produce optimal results. If you’re hoping to make a smooth, professional-looking mashed potato dish, you should definitely invest in a potato masher.