A splatter screen, also known as a splatter guard, is an essential tool in any kitchen where regular cooking on the stove takes place.
Imagine the following scenario: you’re frying onions on the stove, and suddenly, a drop of oil jumps from the pan and onto your arm.
Now, cooking oil can reach some pretty staggering temperatures when heated on the stove. Vegetable oil, for example, can reach 350°F, which is equivalent to 176.6°C.
Even very minimal contact with oil at this temperature is enough to cause a significant amount of pain or even a first or second-degree burn. Second-degree burns, however small, can result in blisters, which may lead to infection if improperly treated.
In addition to protecting you against potentially serious burns, splatter screens are also effective at preventing stains in case sauces or juices splatter out of the pan.
Today, we’ll be reviewing the top 5 splatter screens on the market to keep you safe and your clothes clean while cooking! We’ve also put together a criteria guide to assist you in the selection process, plus an FAQ section with answers to some of the most common questions about splatter screens, so be sure to check these sections out, too!
- Safe Cooking & No Mess - Do you love frying bacon but hate the mess? How many times has it happened that grease splattered up from the pan and almost hit you in the eye or burnt you? A grease splatter guard will solve all your cooking nightmares. Our 13" splatter guard conveniently fits over your pans and woks while you cook, keeping you safe from hot oil and food particles. What’s more, it makes cleaning much easier with no more grease and oil speckled across your cooktop, counters and walls!
- PROTECTS FROM HOT SPITTING OIL - Our oil splatter guard shield securely joins to the handles of cookware to protect your hands from painful burns - Forget about hurtful blisters. No more need for potholders and oven mitts.
- Set Of 3 Professional Grade Splatter Screens: A set of 3 different sizes of durable and sturdy high-performance stainless steel splatter screens with countertop resting feet and black comfort grip handles. Sizes 13", 11.5" and 9.5". They are made with professional-grade stainless steel, and they contain a rust-proof fine wire mesh screen with a durable double thick twill weave. This superior fine twill weave allows the screens to resist denting, catch finer particles, and keep them flat.
- Set of 4 Professional Grade Splatter Screens: The ultimate variety of 4 sizes 13", 11.5", 10", and 8" to ensure you always have the right size for the right situation! These classic-style splatter screens are made of durable and sturdy high-performance stainless steel with plastic comfort grip handles.
Most commonly, splatter screens are made out of either stainless steel or silicone or a combination of the two.
Both of these materials are heat-resistant and food-safe, which are the two most important factors when it comes to the materials used in splatter screens.
Make sure to verify the heat resistance of the material(s) used to make your splatter screen. Ideally, the heat resistance should be as high as possible to ensure that frying at high temperatures won’t damage or warp the screen.
Higher levels of heat resistance may also make a splatter screen suitable for oven use, although this is not a guarantee. If you want to use a splatter screen in an oven, you will need to check the product guidelines to make sure that it is safe for this type of use. Apk Ticket
Splatter screens, just like the pans they are used in conjunction with, come in different sizes. Therefore, you’ll need to know what size you need before you complete your purchase.
Standard pan sizes are 8 inches, 10 inches, 11 inches, and 12 inches. You can purchase splatter screens in these sizes individually or as a set.
Be aware that while larger splatter screens can be used on smaller pans with some overlap, this does increase the risk of discoloration in the splatter screen. This shouldn’t affect the quality or functionality of the screen, but it will impact its aesthetic value.
While we’re on the subject of size, it is also possible to find splatter screens that fold at the handle. This makes the screen more compact for storage, so if you don’t have much storage space in your kitchen, a folding screen may be the best option for you.
The mesh count of your splatter screen will dictate how effective it is at preventing splatter. While no splatter screen will guard against 100% of oil and sauce droplets, high-quality screens should provide you with up to 99% protection.
Mesh count usually won’t be expressed as a specific number, although it will often be expressed as a percentage increase. However, because you won’t necessarily know what the initial mesh count was before the increase, this information may not be very helpful to you.
Despite this, you can still assess the effectiveness of screen mesh by looking at the type of mesh.
The most important factor if you want your splatter screen to be highly effective is a fine mesh construction. Fine mesh basically means that the holes in the mesh are small, which is essential if you want to catch flying drops of oil, grease, or sauce.
Twill mesh, in particular, is perfect for splatter screens. It is an extra-fine mesh type created by weaving shute and warp wires together in such a way that the shute wires pass diagonally through each space between the warp wires. This type of mesh, especially if double-layered, will catch the vast majority of drops for maximum protection.
It’s helpful for a splatter screen to have what is known as ‘resting feet’ on the underside of the screen.
These feet are useful in two ways. Firstly, they help to keep the screen stable and stop it from moving around while in use. Secondly, when you’ve finished using the screen and need to set it down somewhere, the feet will keep the screen slightly elevated so that the oily surface doesn’t touch your countertop.
Because splatter screens have lots of tiny holes in their mesh surfaces, they can be difficult to clean by hand. Therefore, we’ve exclusively selected splatter screens that can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Best Splatter Screen
1. Best Overall: BergKoch Grease Splatter Screen
BergKoch’s Grease Splatter Screen is the best splatter screen out there right now.
BergKoch is a family-owned, premium kitchenware brand. The company was founded in 2014 and sells its products across the U.S., Europe, and Canada. BergKoch is a very customer-focused business that is committed to providing quality cookware for affordable prices while making the buying experience as positive as possible.
At 13 inches in diameter, this splatter screen is the perfect size for most standard-size frying pans.
This particular splatter screen has a 40% increased mesh count over previous models, which translates to a splatter prevention rating of 99%. Therefore, you can trust this splatter screen to keep you safe and stain-free.
Because the splatter screen is made from 304 stainless steel, it’s very durable and resistant to corrosion. Because the screen is rust-resistant, it’s also safe to clean in the dishwasher. This is a huge bonus because the small holes in splatter screens can be quite difficult to clean by hand.
Thanks to the plastic handle attached to the BergKoch splatter screen, heat from the screen won’t be conducted up into the handle. What this means is that you can comfortably and safely grasp the handle to move the screen without risking burning yourself.
We did, however, notice that the screen is prone to discoloration, especially when the screen itself (as opposed to the frame) is touching the edges of the pan. Therefore, we recommend minimizing contact between the mesh of the screen and the pan as much as possible.
- 13 inches: Suited to most frying pans
- Rust-resistant: Dishwasher-safe
- Plastic handle: Heat-resistant
- 4 resting feet: Keeps counters grease-free
- 40% increased mesh count: Protects against 99% of splatter
- Some discoloration: Minimize contact between screen and pan
- PROTECTS FROM HOT SPITTING OIL - Our oil splatter guard shield securely joins to the handles of cookware to protect your hands from painful burns - Forget about hurtful blisters. No more need for potholders and oven mitts.
- KEEPS THE STOVE, CABINETS, AND COUNTER CLEAN - Tired of cleaning stains off the wall, counter top, refrigerator, and cabinets? The frying pan splatter guard is a backsplash protector that will save you time cleaning and get you to your food while it's still hot.
- WORKS WITH MOST COOKWARE - Our heavy-duty, grease splatter screen for frying pan fits most pots, pans and skillets – helping to protect you and your kitchen from hot snapping oil! Helps reduce kitchen odor.
- NOT FLIMSY OVER FLAMES - Made from heavy duty stainless steel with an extra fine mesh. Unlike silicone alternatives, this oil splash guard allows steam to be released, while stopping 99% of splatter.
- DISHWASHER SAFE - Our splatter guards for frying are dishwasher safe for hassle-free cleaning. Stays rust-free. Great for making schnitzel, french fries, hushpuppies, beignets, and burgers. Note: Take pan from heat to reduce sizzling when removing this stove splatter guard to flip or stir food.
2. Best Budget: U.S. Kitchen Supply Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Splatter Screen
U.S. Kitchen Supply is a reputable and well-loved kitchenware brand. The brand is owned by TCP Global, which is a homeware and decoration company founded in 1974.
Part of the reason for this is the impressive quality of the manufactured products. However, the even more appealing aspect of U.S. Kitchen Supply is the fact that its products are so affordable.
This splatter screen from U.S. Kitchen Supply is the best you’ll find on the market for this price.
Measuring 13 inches across, this splatter screen is suitable for larger pans as well as smaller ones, making it a versatile tool for kitchen use.
The 3 solid resting feet underneath the screen help to keep it stable when in use and also protects your countertop from the greasy mess that can occur when you lay a splatter screen directly on a kitchen surface.
Our favorite feature of this splatter screen, on balance, is the dual-thickness twill mesh. Twill mesh is a specific type of mesh designed to filter liquids more finely while creating a strong surface.
Twill mesh is made from a combination of warp wires and shute wires. The shute wires pass diagonally between the warp wires, resulting in a finer mesh.
The twill mesh used in the construction of this splatter screen not only means that you’ll be effectively protected against burns and stains, but you could also use the screen as a strainer due to the durability of the mesh.
U.S. Kitchen Supply’s choice of handle for this splatter screen is steel wire, which is an excellent choice because not only is it durable, but it’s also very low in terms of thermal conductivity, especially compared to other metals such as aluminum. This means that even though the handle is made of metal, you still won’t burn yourself when holding it.
Additionally, the U.S. Kitchen Supply splatter screen is safe for dishwasher use, so cleaning won’t be too much of a chore.
It’s worth noting that this splatter screen is on the heavier side, so if you’re constantly repositioning it or lifting it up to stir the contents of your pan, you may start to feel hand or arm fatigue.
- 13 inches: Optimal size
- 3 resting feet: Stable and keeps counters clean
- Double thickness twill mesh: High splatter-prevention
- Dishwasher safe: Does not rust
- Steel wire handle: Heat-resistant
- Feels heavy: May induce arm fatigue
- Professional Grade 13" Splatter Screen: A durable and sturdy high performance 13" stainless steel splatter screen with 3 counter top resting feet. It's made with professional grade stainless steel and contains a rust-proof fine wire mesh screen with a durable double thick twill weave. This fine twill weave allows the screen to resist denting, catch finer particles and keep it flat and stable for repeated daily use. It's suitable for almost any size of pot or pan.
- Ergonomic Stable Design: The solid stainless steel wire handle keeps your hands away from the heat and is securely attached to 4 points under the rim of the screen. This keeps the screen straight and stable while in use on a pot or pan or while its 3 resting feet are on a stove top or counter top.
- Cook Safely and Avoid The Mess: To cook safely, always use a splatter screen guard to avoid the dangers of hot oil & grease, boiling water and food particles from splattering onto you and burning you! Keep everything on or around your stove top, counter top, walls and floors clean by using this splatter screen while you cook too avoid making a mess in the first place!
- Multiple Uses: A splatter screen is perfect for use while simmering food, when needing to see and check on the food or at times when the food will get too hot while using a pan lid. The screen will contain the splatter and allow the steam to escape, while the pan and food maintains a stable heat level. The screen can also be used for draining and straining pots and pans, to steam vegetables on top if it while cooking or as a cooling rack for cupcakes and cookies.
- We assure you that our 13" stainless steel splatter screen is built to last, and if you're not satisfied with it at anytime, we'll provide a full refund.
3. Best Premium: Beckon Ware Silicone Splatter Screen
When it comes to your safety in the kitchen, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and invest in the most high-quality protective measures. That’s why we highly recommend this Silicone Splatter Screen from Beckon Ware.
Beckon Ware, as a company, aims to make household tasks like cooking easier and less stressful.
This 13-inch splatter screen is perfect for large pans, although its size also means it can be used on smaller pans if you’re comfortable with resting the screen itself against the edges of the pan.
Beckon Ware’s Silicone Splatter Screen is made from food-grade silicone, which won’t contaminate your food with harmful chemicals and which is resistant to temperatures up to 445°F. This is a high level of temperature resistance that will protect your splatter screen from damage during the vast majority of frying processes.
We especially like the silicone grip on the handle, which not only enables a firmer and more non-slip grip but will also protect you against hand burns. All in all, the handle of this splatter screen is a highly effective safety feature.
The built-in feet on the bottom of the screen enhance its stability for maximum safety and practicality during use and also prevents the screen from making a greasy mess on your countertop when you need to set it down.
When you’re ready to clean your splatter screen, you can simply place it in the dishwasher for an effortless wash.
With that being said, we did notice that the screen retains more powerful odors from cooking, such as garlic. If this is a problem for you, you may need to commit to cleaning the screen more rigorously than you normally would.
- 13 inches: Ideal for larger pans
- Food-safe silicone: Heat-resistant and natural
- Dishwasher-safe: Easy to clean
- Silicone grip handle: Ergonomic and non-conductive
- Built-in feet: Enhances stability and minimizes mess
- Retains strong smell: Pungent odors may linger
- 🥓 MAKES EVERYDAY EASIER: Keep your kitchen clean and unspotted with our silicone oil splatter screen for frying pans. Nonstick and multifunctional, you can use it as a steamer for cooking, pan cover for frying, grease screen, cooling mat, drain board, or food tray.
- 🔥 STOP GETTING BURNED: Avoid painful hot splashes when frying & cooking with a food-grade silicone cover that has a heat resistance of up to 445 degrees. It can be used in the oven or stove top; just make sure not to come into direct contact with flames.
- 🍳 EASY TO CLEAN: Cleaning is a breeze. Just place this frying pan splatter guard on your dishwasher, and you're good to go. This splatter shield comes with a non-melt durable stainless steel handle wrapped in a slip-proof cover for a more solid experience.
- 🍗 UNIVERSAL FIT: Our multi-use splatter guards for frying comes in 2 sizes and can fit small to large pans. Uniquely designed, the little holes allow ventilation that normal pot cover does not. It also has 4 raised feet that will keep your counter clean while cooking.
- 💰 ABOUT US: Beckon Ware strives to provide useful kitchen products with quality, elegance and value. Our unique products will help simplify your life by drawing you to work smarter with kitchen items that will make your cooking experience easier.
4. Best Folding: Baker Boutique Silicone Splatter Screen with Folding Handle
Splatter screens are very narrow in terms of their profile, but they can still be difficult to store due to the often large screen area and the protruding handle. This is why, if you have limited storage space, we recommend investing in a folding splatter screen.
Baker Boutique is a brand owned by Shanghai Qiandan International Trade Co., Ltd. The company was founded in 2005, so it’s well established, and it specializes in silicone homeware and kitchenware.
This splatter screen is made from high-quality perforated silicone, which protects against 99% of oil and sauce splatter.
The screen’s frame, meanwhile, is made of 304 stainless steel, which is minimally conductive compared to the majority of metals for enhanced safety.
A silicone layer has also been added to the screen’s handle for extra protection against heat and a non-slip grip.
Unlike the majority of splatter screens, this model is oven safe, meaning you can also use it to shield the inside of your oven from the splattering that can occur at high temperatures.
When you’ve cleaned your splatter screen in the dishwasher, you can simply fold the handle flush against the screen and slide it into your desired storage space.
The main drawback to the Baker Boutique splatter screen is the fact that it only measures 11.4 inches in diameter, so it’s not suitable for pans measuring 12 inches, which is one of the most popular frying pan sizes.
- High-quality silicone screen: Prevents 99% of splatter
- 304 stainless steel frame: Durable and minimally conductive
- Silicone handle grip: Ergonomic and stays cool
- Heat resistant to 446°F: Oven safe
- Folding handle: Easy to operate for convenient storage
- 11.4 inches: Not for large, 12-inch pans
- 【HIGH QUALITY AND SAFETY】 The Splatter Screen is made of high quality silicone and 304 stainless steel, completely BPA FREE. The splatter guard fits all your pots, skillets and pans for protecting your hand and face. And the handle is covered with silicone for extra protection!
- 【MULTIFUNCTION】 This multipurpose kitchen tool also doubles as a strainer, steamer, and a cooling rack, stops 99% of splash, lets all the steam out and allows you to watch the cooking process easily.
- 【NO MORE HOT OIL SPLASHES】 This silicone splatter cover with folding handle helps you in avoiding getting splattered and burned by sizzling oil, boiling hot sauce, or other liquids during cooking. Its special design will prevent any splashes while letting steam pass freely through.
- 【HEAT RESISTANT 】 The splatter guard can withstand temperature of -104℉ to 446℉ (-40℃ to 230℃), safe for use in the oven, freezer and dishwasher.
- 【NON-STICK AND EASY TO CLEAN 】The silicone splatter screen is not stick and very easy to clean up. Wash it in the water with dish soap or just throw it in the dishwasher.
5. Best Set: BitimexHome Grease Splatter Screens
Finally, if you have multiple frying pans in various sizes, you might prefer to get a set of larger and smaller splatter screens for maximum compatibility.
BitimexHome’s Grease Splatter Screen Set is the best set you’ll get your hands on, taking into consideration quality and value for money.
This purchase will get you 3 different-sized splatter screens, including an 8-inch, 10-inch, and 11-inch screen. There is no 12-inch screen, so this set won’t cater to the very largest pan sizes, but it will cover the majority of the average size spectrum.
These screens have reinforced steel rims to prevent warping, combined with extra-fine mesh that catches almost all splattering while still letting steam escape properly.
All of the screens have plastic handles that don’t conduct heat, so there’s no risk of burning yourself while maneuvering the screen.
The BitimexHome splatter screens are dishwasher-safe to facilitate a stress-free cleaning process.
- 8, 10, and 11 inches: Covers majority of pan size
- Plastic handles: No overheating
- Reinforced steel rims: Warp-resistant
- Extra-fine mesh: Greatly minimizes splatter
- Dishwasher safe: Easy cleaning
- No 12-inch screen: Not for the largest pans
- PERFECT SIZE COMBINATION: This cost-effective set of kitchen anti splatter guard provides you the best value possible! The 3 different sizes of keep-it-clean screen can be used in a wide variety of pots, skillets and pans, served as small frying pan cover or large pot splatter guard lid. No need to pull out the big iron wok guard for small tasks anymore! You will enjoy more flexibility knowing whatever situation it is, you always have the tool handy with the right size!
- VERSATILITY: You will also feel confident to allow these splatter screen protectors to serve you at the same time, because they are so versatile! They double as a strainer, steamer and even a cooling rack. During various stages of cooking, this incredible set will facilitate the process and make your life easier! So sit back and enjoy the food with your family faster than before!
- SAFE COOKING AND CLEAN KITCHEN: No one wants to get splattered or burned by hot oil or other liquids, especially when you have little kids around. This anti oil pan cover can protect you and your loved ones, and also block grease to help you maintain a clean stovetop and kitchen wall. You and your family will definitely appreciate a grease free kitchen!
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIAL: All three pieces have a long, sturdy plastic handle that allows you to keep a safe distance from hot objects and stop prime burns. The high quality stainless steel mesh guard is tightly woven to block the oil splatter while still allowing for steam to exit.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: At BitimexHome, we take customer feedback seriously and continue to improve every aspect of the product! Just in case, however, you have any kind of issue, don't hesitate to contact us! Your satisfaction is paramount! NOW click “Add to Cart” to welcome this beautiful addition to your kitchen!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, splatter screens do work as long as you select a high-quality product and manage your expectations reasonably.
For a splatter screen to be effective, it will need to have a fine mesh construction to prevent larger drops from exiting the pan during frying. This should provide you with up to 99% protection.
However, the odd tiny drop of oil or sauce here and there does not indicate that your splatter screen is not working. Splatter screens are designed to significantly minimize splatter but not eliminate it entirely.
Not all splatter screens are oven-safe. In fact, the majority are not because they are primarily designed to be used for frying purposes.
If you’re looking for a splatter screen to protect the inside of your oven, you’ll need to look specifically for a splatter screen designed for oven use.