Cooking is one of our favorite pastimes, the ability to bring the taste of a different country to our dining room table or even just experimenting with some new recipes brings us much joy and is what often draws us to spend so much time in the kitchen.
However, there’s one nemesis that we dread to face in the aftermath of cooking and that’s grease. No matter how hard you try to maintain your area or clean up as you go along, grease manages to prevail and tarnish the experience of experimenting with food.
Grease manages to find itself everywhere in your kitchen, in your oven, your worktop surfaces, the walls, and even in your utensil holder. So you're faced with the difficult and tedious task of endless scrubbing with cleaning products that seem to result in nothing but smudge marks and greasy sponges.
However, grease and oil aren’t just an eyesore in your kitchen but they’re highly flammable so increase the chances of an accident. Not only that, but any splattered oil on the floor could cause serious injuries from slipping.
Luckily, there is a solution to these problems and that’s a kitchen degreaser as they’re chemically formulated to effectively remove even the toughest grease and stains throughout your kitchen without all the arm work.
So if you’re looking for a no-fuss way to remove the grease buildup in your kitchen, keep on reading to find out the best degreaser for your kitchen.
Below is the selection of criteria we used when testing and reviewing these products and what was used to rank our top 5 degreasers for your kitchen.
Degreasers have different strengths that make them suited for varying applications such as in commercial environments or just for residential use.
Extremely strong kitchen degreasers are sometimes more suited for professional kitchens where protective accessories can be provided as they can be harsh on the skin and emit strong odors.
For everyday cleaning in the average home, a mild to moderate strength degreaser should be adequate to effectively remove grease and buildup without having to scrub too hard or endure the pungent smells.
If you’re the chef of the family and just looking for an effective degreaser to keep on top of your kitchen cleaning then a residential/generic or mild degreaser will be more than enough for you.
However, if you’re in a commercial kitchen and need something more heavy-duty then you’ll want to look for strong or commercial kitchen degreasers.
Degreasers can be formulated to be suitable for different types of surfaces. You may find one that’s perfect for metal whereas others are more effective on wood. It’s important to read the label on the degreaser that you choose so you don’t cause any damage to surfaces in your kitchen by using the wrong product.
Sometimes you may end up with 2-3 degreasers suited for all locations in your kitchen, including the floor. However, no one wants 3 different products for a job when you could just use one, so to save yourself the time and a few extra bucks, try looking for an all-surface kitchen degreaser that can be used all over your kitchen.
We’ve also looked out for degreasers that have antibacterial properties to help protect against harmful microbes, so you won’t have to use an additional surface cleaner afterward.
If you’ve used degreaser in the past, then you know what we’re talking about when we discuss the scent of it - it will stay with you forever.
Some have such a strong stench of chemicals that you’ll have to hold on to your nose whilst using it, air the room out for hours, and even stick a candle in there. This just isn’t convenient, so we’ve put a mild smelling or even nice smelling fragrance as a priority to hit on our criteria list.
No cleaning product is going to smell like tempting baked goods, but any degreaser that doesn’t make us gag at the first whiff is worth noting on our list.
You’ll want your kitchen degreaser to be safe to use, just like all your other cleaning products - although they will come with more precautions than your average surface cleaner.
We’d recommend a regular strength kitchen degreaser if you want to keep the rubber gloves away and also ensure all your surfaces are safe for prepping and cooking your food.
We’d also suggest considering an organic or biodegradable degreaser as this will be safe for pets and children.
Our last important criteria that must be ticked off is that the company of each degreaser must be reputable and have good reviews.
We must recommend products to our readers that come from commendable companies who have both effective products but also offer good customer care concerning queries or problems with the product.
Best Degreaser For Kitchen
1. Best Overall: WD-40 Specialist Industrial-Strength Cleaner & Degreaser
Our best overall choice for kitchen degreaser is the WD-40 Specialist Industrial-Strength Cleaner and Degreaser.
It’s a powerful grease remover that also fights grime and can be used on multiple surfaces such as metal and glass without causing corrosion or etching. It will quickly break through tough grease in minutes and be easily wiped away with a soft sponge whilst activating the corrosion inhibitors which will prevent flash rust.
It’s crowned the winner as it is a biodegradable bio-solvent formula which is one of the safest options to use when using it around food preparation and food processing areas in your kitchen.
It is non-flammable, non-abrasive, and low odor so you’ll have no issues spraying it throughout your kitchen and won’t experience any breathing difficulties like you would with common strong degreasers.
If you don’t happen to have any rubber gloves lying around then you’ll still be able to use this product as it has no harsh chemicals that could cause chemical burns or dry out your hands.
WD-40 is a highly established brand that produces home maintenance and cleaning products that protect metal and other surfaces. The company is most commonly known for its lubricant-based products which are used to silence squeaky hinges on doors or cupboards in your home.
Their multi-use products have received high-quality praise in customer testimonials and their kitchen degreaser that we’d recommended today is just one in their collection of effective products.
So if you’re looking for a non-aerosol formulated degreaser that’s safe to use everywhere in your kitchen but also powerful enough to remove even the most stubborn of build-up, then this WD-40 product is the one you’ll want to try.
- Has corrosion inhibitors: Prevents against flash rust on metal stovetops and ovens
- Quick & Effective: Works to remove stubborn grease within minutes without scrubbing
- Safe to use: No gloves required and no breathing difficulties experienced
- Low odor formula: Won’t leave your kitchen smelling of chemicals
- Leaves areas a bit oily after using: Inconvenient but does evaporate and dry after a while
- Powerful grease remover and grime fighter in a biodegradable bio-solvent formula with durable, shatter-resistance trigger and convenient refill port; no funnel needed and no-mess
- Safe to use on multiple surfaces. Unlike other degreasers, this formula will prevent glass from etching and aluminum, copper, and metal from corroding and flash rust
- Non-flammable, non-corrosive, non-abrasive, low-odor formula that can be used in food-processing facilities
- Biodegradable formula meets U.S. EPA Safer Choice Standards and is 50-state VOC compliant. NSF Registered A1, A2, A4, A8, B1
- Excellent for cleaning greasy automotive parts, tools, shop floors, industrial machinery, commercial appliances, and equipment
2. Runner Up: Spray Nine Heavy-Duty Cleaner/Degreaser
Our runner-up for the best overall choice for kitchen degreaser is the Spray Nine Heavy-Duty Degreaser, it’s a professional strength cleaner that comes in a selection of sizes to suit your cleaning requirements.
Not only does it work effectively at removing degreasing and removing stubborn stains in your kitchen but it’ll also kill viruses and bacteria whilst it’s sprayed on surfaces.
It’s a highly versatile product and can be used to degrease your stovetop, your oven, and any oil spills on your floor, so you’ll be able to clean a handful of surfaces with just one product.
The strong formula works in just 15 minutes so you can spray your surfaces after you’ve finished cooking and return to wipe or clean it off after you’ve finished eating.
It may be a heavy-duty degreaser but it is non-solvent based and is VOC compliant in all 50 states so you’ll have no trouble breathing when trying to use this product and it won’t be harmful to your family or the environment.
There is a distinct mild smell when spraying this product but nothing that could be compared to bleach or chlorine. The scent also fades within minutes of wiping it away from the surfaces so it won’t leave a chemical odor in the room.
Spray Nine has been around and producing quality products since the late 1950s. Their 60 years of experience has provided effective cleaning solutions for industrial, marine, residential, and even automotive applications and is considered to be one of the leaders in the cleaning industry game.
The product meets all our criteria as it is a safe to use, mildly scented, versatile yet highly effective product that also boasts top reviews and a highly reputable company background.
- Highly effective: Works within 15 minutes
- Versatile: Can be used everywhere in the kitchen and elsewhere in the home
- Non-toxic formula: Won’t be to breathe in when being used
- Kills viruses and bacteria: No need to follow up with additional cleaning products
- May need to use an abrasive scrub: Heavily soiled surfaces may need some additional scrubbing
- Professional-strength cleaner and disinfectant to power off tough soils fast
- Only one product necessary to effectively clean, degrease, disinfect, remove stains, control mold and mildew, and deodorize
- Kills bacteria and viruses in 45 seconds
- Ready-to-use cleaner, custom formulated for fast cleanup
- Suggested applications include tools, tires, vinyl, stainless steel, engines, plastic, rubber, walls and ceilings, concrete, sinks, showers and bathtubs, etc
3. Best Premium: Stanley Home Products Original Degreaser
This Stanley Home Products Original Degreaser is the best premium option around and has been ruling the higher-end scale of products for a while.
The powerful formula can cut through and remove grease and stubborn oil within seconds of it being applied, so the clean-up process after cooking is easier than ever.
It’s a multi-use product so completely versatile in the way you can use it around your kitchen, whether it’s cookware or wood countertops, it’ll do the job wherever you apply it.
It’s a biodegradable formula that contains no harmful phosphates so is completely safe in food preparation areas in your kitchen.
The solution needs to be diluted but as it’s concentrated it can create 32 gallons of degreasing solution, so even though it’s a premium option it’ll be able to last you for a good while.
Stanley Home Products has been creating a quality home care and wellness products since the 1930s and uses high-quality ingredients and has strict quality standards so you know each product is safe but effective to use.
- Works in seconds: No hanging around for product to work
- Reputable brand: Trusted by customers since the 1930s
- No harmful phosphates: Safe to use in food prep areas and won’t be harmful to health
- Multi-use: Can be used on metal cookware, wood worktops, and more
- Stubborn grease will require a non-diluted solution: Will run out quicker
- DISSOLVES GREASE AND GRIME: Cut through that though grease and grime in just seconds. This Stanley Home Products Original Degreaser does the tough cleaning for you.
- POWERFUL FORMULA: Tackle your stubborn messes – in both hard and soft water – and make them disappear. This powerful formula works hard everywhere there is a build-up of grease.
- MULTI-PURPOSE USE: Use this All-Purpose Cleaner to remove dirt, grease and grime from cookware, grills, dishes, woodwork, countertops, broilers, laundry, equipment and tools.
- GALLONS OF CLEANING POWER: Very cost-effective, one 32 oz. bottle contains enough cleaning product for 32 gallons of powerful, Stanley Degreaser solution.
- SIZE OPTIONS: The Stanley Home Products Original Degreaser is sold in a 1-, 2- or 4-count package for added convenience. Ideal for home and professional use, it will accommodate everyone’s needs.
4. Best Budget: Kred Kutter Kitchen Degreaser
Buying a highly effective kitchen degreaser to keep your space sparkling doesn’t mean you have to break the bank each time, that’s why we’ve chosen the Kred Kutter degreaser as our best for budget option.
It works well at cleaning and removing tough grease stains from a variety of surfaces including stovetops and countertops and leaves behind a grease-free surface with no smudge marks.
It’s also fragranced free so you won’t have to cover your nose and mouth with your shirt when applying it to surfaces.
Minimal effort and scrubbing are required when trying to remove the most stubborn grease stains so you’ll be able to quickly spray, clean, and wipe away within minutes.
It’s food safe and non-toxic and also adheres to the U.S EPA Safer Product Standards so you can have peace of mind that can spray this around your kitchen without harming your family and even your pets.
- Fragrance-free: No mouth covering when applying and no need to air the room out afterward
- Non-toxic: Can be applied to food prep surfaces with peace of mind that it won’t be harmful
- Works on a variety of surfaces: Does a good job on most if not all surfaces it is applied to
- Accurate application: Comes in a convenient spray bottle
- Not antibacterial: Will need to go over with an additional cleaning product
- Cleans and removes tough greasy, grimy messes from a variety of surfaces including stovetops and range hoods, countertops, cabinets, walls and other surfaces around the house
- Ready to use non-toxic formula, simply spray and wipe clean
- Cleaner is EPA Safer Choice certified and safe for people, pets and the planet
- Formulated with technology that's tougher on grease than other cleaners, yet safe for use on food prep surfaces
- Leaves behind a clean, grease-free surface
5. Best For Ovens: Diversey Breakup Oven Cleaner
Oven cleaners are considered the ultimate degreaser as they’ll dissolve almost everything, even baked-on grease on grill racks which helps reduce the need for scrubbing. This Diversey Breakup Oven Cleaner is the best one of the lot and will keep your oven looking brand new.
They are formulated for oven use only as they will dissolve or damage the surface of anything that isn’t metal, ceramic, or glass. It clings to the surface and emulsifies and will then need to be wiped away gently with a damp cloth or sponge.
It does have the strongest smell out of all the products we tested, which is common with most oven cleaners, so we would recommend covering your mouth and nose whilst spraying it inside your oven and then closing the door whilst it activates.
It’s recommended to wear gloves and protective eyewear when applying it as the chemical formulation could cause irritation if it gets onto the skin or into the eyes.
It doesn’t meet our criteria when it comes to versatility as it’s only formulated to be used for ovens, however, it is the most effective for that purpose so does deserve its place on our list.
Diversey is a pioneer when it comes to creating revolutionary cleaning products that can be used in a professional and residential environment. Their Breakup Oven Cleaner is one of their bestselling non-commercial products that has received huge praise from customers around the globe.
- Removes tough stubborn stains: No scrubbing required
- Can be used on warm or cold surfaces: Offers a more convenient cleaning process
- Sprays from any angle: Reaches tough to reach areas inside your oven
- Can only be used on ovens: May damage other surfaces
- Cleans ovens and grills quickly and easily, minimizing the need for scrubbing and scouring
- Fast acting formula breaks down tough, baked-on grease and grime on contact, even on cold surfaces
- Clings to surfaces and emulsifies tough baked on grease, food and spills, which allows you to simply wipe it away with a damp cloth - no scraping required
- Conveniently sprays from any angle to penetrate tough-to-reach areas - contains no CFCs
- Effectively cleans institutional, industrial and commercial surfaces including stainless steel, porcelain enamel, iron, undecorated ceramic tile, concrete and glass
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a chemical cleaning agent in degreasers that is attracted to oil and grease which help to loosen and remove it from the surface with a dish towel or wet sponge when wiped away, resulting in it being cleared and not smeared across the surface instead.
To get the most effective results with your kitchen degreaser, you’ll have to spray it onto the affected area and leave for the recommended time that’s on the product instructions before using a damp cloth, sponge, or dishtowel to remove the buildup of grease and oil from the surface until it’s clean.
Some degreasers may vary in their application so it’s imperative to always read the product instructions and also wear any necessary protective clothing or accessories when using it.
Degreases have alkaline formulations that can be corrosive on the skin and to the eyes which could cause chemical burns and even blindness.
Most products will recommend you to wear gloves when trying to wipe away the degreaser that’s been sprayed onto grease in case you get it on your hands. If you happen to get it on your skin then you should wash your hands immediately with soap and cool water.
Join the Discussion