There is no doubt that most of us love French fries. Whatever mood you’re in, a handful of French fries will always go down well.
Sweet, soft, and tender on their inside but crispy and crunchy on the outside, these fries are ideal as a stand-alone snack or an accompaniment with certain dishes.
The great news is that French fries can be done in no time at all at home. While cooking them is easy, the preparation can be a little time-consuming.
Nobody likes to spend half of their day slicing and cutting potatoes up evenly by hand. Luckily, there are appliances out there to make your life easier in the kitchen.
Instead of cutting French fries by hand, use a French fry cutter. These will speed things up in the kitchen, help you make even more fries, and allow you to start eating them sooner rather than later.
To help you decide on which French fry cutter to invest in, we have delved into the fry cutter world and come back with the best 3 on the market.
We have looked at the pros and cons of each so you can make a balanced decision on which one is right for you. This way, you will get the tastiest French fries every time!
If you want to ensure you find a top-quality French fry cutter, you need to consider a number of features and factors beforehand. One for home use is generally different from the one used in a restaurant. Therefore, you must know what the differences are.
Here are some key criteria that you should take into consideration before you start shopping:
Some versatile fry cutters have three to four blades. The most common sizes available are ½-inch, ¼-inch, and ⅜-inch.
Moreover, most blades usually only have one blade and are cut at one size. More versatile models can boast an 8-cut blade that can be used for cutting other ingredients and making larger wedges.
As with any device that is made for cutting, the sharpness of the tool is essential. When it comes to potatoes, this is even more important.
These simple vegetables can be notoriously tough so a French fry cutter’s blades need to be sharp enough to slice through them without snapping, breaking, or catching. We always suggest looking for a robust, stainless steel cutter with very sharp, well-honed edges.
As mentioned above, we recommend stainless steel blades. In fact, most fry cutter blades are made from this material so your choices are widespread.
Stainless steel tends to be the most reliable and durable blades you can count on for long use. Another material that is sturdy and durable is cast iron but stainless steel should always be the go-to choice.
Not all fry cutters have handles but we highly recommend choosing one that does. There are advantages and disadvantages to having a handle.
One drawback is that the tool can be quite heavy to use and unsuitable for some people. Kids may struggle to help with the cutting (if you trust them enough!)
Aside from that, handles make everything a lot easier. Chopping and slicing are simpler because the handle acts as a useful lever for more balance with less chance of uneven fries and possible slipping.
You want your French fry cutter to be as stable as possible. If you have ever used one before, you may have found that they like to slide around your kitchen countertop while you cut potatoes.
This can be avoided. Look for a model that sports strong suction cups on its base or a no-slip coating on its legs. This will ensure your fry cutter is stable and safer for the majority of the time.
You can also consider using a wall mount to store your cutter. This will keep it away from wandering little hands and free up more space in the kitchen.
If you can’t live without your dishwasher, then you will want a French fry cutter that is dishwasher-friendly.
However, while some models can be cleaned in dishwashers, it is recommended that they are always wiped clean and hand-washed gently. This will limit and prevent the risk of damage to the cutter blades and body.
Choose a cutter that doesn’t need to be disassembled before cleaning for less time-wasting, especially if you’re working in a busy, professional kitchen.
If you intend to use your cutter for more than just chopping potatoes, pick one that has multi-purpose features. Some fry cutters can tackle other veggies and even fruit. If you choose one of these, you will reduce the need for more equipment meaning you save more money and space in your kitchen.
Best French Fry Cutter
1. Best Overall French Fry Cutter: New Star Food Service 42313 Commercial Restaurant French Fry Cutter with Suction Feet
Durable, reliable, and multi-functional, the New Star Food Service French Fry Cutter could be a worthy companion by your side for many years to come.
New Star Food Service is an industry leader in the production of top-quality kitchen utensils.
Specializing in commercial grade restaurant equipment, this brand has been supplying some top restaurants, as well as regular households, with the best French fry cutters and other tools for over 15 years.
Not only can you slice potatoes with this cutter but you can slice up onions, peppers, celery, zucchini sticks, and notoriously tough sweet potatoes. These are just a few ingredients you can use but we’ll let you discover the rest for yourself!
These blades are ¼-inch models. They are solid pieces of equipment that are capable of slicing through a range of vegetables. When making French fries, you can cut potatoes that are up to 6 inches into smaller ½-inch French fries.
These blades are extremely sharp allowing you to cut through the toughest veggies and fruits with ease. Its cast-iron body offers strong support when slicing through sweet potatoes so you don’t have to exert too much force when doing so.
As with most high-quality fry cutters, these blades are constructed from rigid stainless steel. They are resistant to corrosion meaning you will never have to worry about the blades coming into contact with different food juices such as tomatoes or other acidic substances that could react and ruin your food.
The New Star Food Service 42313 French Fry Cutter has a short-throw handle that is used as a lever. With superior construction, you can achieve the smoothest, most effortless cuts in one stroke. And don’t take our word for it!
These cutters have been thoroughly tested on carrots, celery, potatoes, and many more vegetables to see how well the handles and bodies stand up to different tasks.
This fry cutter is undoubtedly extremely stable to use. Its sturdy cast aluminum base withstands the wear and tear of everyday use providing many years of reliability.
Also attached to the base is a set of 4 suction cup feet to prevent any sliding when in operation. It is also designed to be mounted onto your kitchen wall to reduce clutter and make more space in your kitchen.
Its stainless steel design can be placed in a dishwasher but, as with most French fry cutters, we suggest wiping it down and cleaning by hand. This is pleasingly easy to do with soapy water and a soft cloth.
The blade assembly and push block also comes apart quickly for even easier maintenance.
You can use this cutter to slice through a wide range of vegetables and fruits if needed. It is capable of slicing up to 6 inches into 2 slices in one go.
- Very reliable cutting - Able to slice through tough veggies with one quick, effortless stroke
- Can be mounted onto a wall - Helps you save more space in your kitchen by being permanently mounted onto a wall so your countertop is free for cooking and other activities
- 4 vacuum cups included - Helps the cutter stick to the surface as you cut food
- Quite a large cutter - Can take up quite a bit of room in your kitchen and may not be the best fit for smaller spaces
- Heavy-duty cast-iron body with stainless steel components
- Suction feet for use on smooth counter tops
- Can be permanently mounted on a countertop or wall
- Easily cuts potatoes up to 6" long into ½" french fries
- Makes french fries, sweet potato fries, zucchini sticks and other favorites
2. Best Versatile French Fry Cutter: Fullstar Vegetable Chopper - Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer
Unlike the majority of French fry cutters, this Fullstar Vegetable Chopper boasts four premium blades. If you want versatility, this is where you will find it!
Coming from one of the most reputable brands on the market, Fullstar has been producing quality yet affordable kitchen items around the world for a number of years.
Whether you’re in the US, Europe, East Asia, or parts of South America, there is a high likelihood that you will see a Fullstar item in professional and home kitchens.
Fullstar is always very confident in its products. That is why they offer a 100% refund on all purchases if a customer is not satisfied with the product.
This cutter’s entire dimensions are 10.63 inches L x 4.72 inches H x 4.48 inches W. This is small enough to handle easily but large enough to feel sturdy and reliable during operation.
The blades can easily slice up vegetables and fruits that fall neatly into its 4-cup (1.2L) capacity collection tray.
Rust-resistant, this product makes cutting through almost any vegetable too easy! It sports 420 stainless steel razor-sharp blades that help you achieve crisp slicing and chopping every time.
As mentioned above, this cutter is constructed with 420 stainless steel blades. These are corrosion resistant so they will last a lot longer than other materials and are especially useful when working with acidic foods.
Not only is the handle of this cutter stylish but is also supremely comfortable. It has a soft TBU rubberized enhanced grip that will not slip when being used.
Alongside the rubberized non-slip grip, the base of this product is sturdy with a non-skid surface. This makes it easier to cut veggies but also a lot safer with very little risk of the cutter sliding as you operate it.
This Fullstar Vegetable Chopper disassembles easily and quickly for both storage and cleaning. It can be washed in a dishwasher but the company recommends washing by hand with warm, soapy water.
There is a reason why this is our choice for the most versatile and multi-functional chopper on the list. The choice of blades includes a small dice blade, a large dice blade, a spiral blade, and a ribbon blade.
These unique blades allow you to slice and cut different vegetables from onions to carrots in all different sizes and patterns.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty - As with many kitchen devices, they can become damaged or malfunction at times. This comes with a lifetime warranty to cover any accidental damage so you are always covered
- Easy to handle - This has one of the most comfortable grips and handles of all French fry cutters which is important if you need to slice a large number of potatoes
- Rust-resistant - Its stainless steel design means corrosion will not affect the product as you can use it for many years
- Quite hard to reassemble - Once you disassemble the device for cleaning or storage, it can be a little difficult to assemble it again
- 4 Interchangeable Blades - Effortlessly julienne, chop and slice vegetables with Fullstar's cooking gadgets. Built-in chop lid lets you cut foods directly into the 1.2L collection tray without the mess of a knife and cutting board. Storage container lets you hold prepared vegetables in the Fullstar Vegetable Cutter until you are ready to begin cooking. This 7-piece set can make great cooking gifts for women and men.
- Rust-Resistant Cooking Gadgets - Rust resistant heavy-duty 420 stainless steel retains razor sharpness for crisp, smooth cutting and grating. Blades snap in and out with ease. Cut potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and more. Give the perfect kitchen gifts for women and men!
- Soft grip handle with rubberized tpu enhances leverage while the non-skid base ensures stability during use. Slice, dice, chop and cut fruits and vegetables safely and easily, in half the time.
- BPA Free. This compact chopper measures just 10.63”L x 4.72”H x 4.48”W. It can be fully disassembled for easy cleaning on the top shelf of your dishwasher.
- Read the manual carefully - Please read the instruction manual provided with the Fullstar food chopper closely before use. If you have any questions or issues regarding the chopper please do not hesitate to send the seller a message through Amazon and we will respond within 24 hours
3. Best Durable French Fry Cutter: French Fry Cutter for Air Fryer, Reliatronic Stainless Steel Potato Chipper with Extended Handle
Next up is the highly impressive Reliatronic Stainless Steel Potato Chipper that offers everything you need from a top-quality French fry cutter, especially durability and ease of use.
Reliatronic has been producing excellent quality kitchen equipment, as well as other household items, for many years. Their products are known for being heavy-duty, especially this French fry cutter so you are guaranteed many years’ worth of use. This will save money and convenience over time.
This potato cutter has quite a large capacity. There are two types of blades to choose from with this fry cutter so you can make different-sized fries or other food items for different dishes.
The cutter measures 5 x 2.9 x 2.9 inches and there is no need to cut the potatoes in half before you slice them. Simply place them into the cutter and let it work its magic.
The blade is specially designed from stainless steel and is extremely sharp. It is solid enough to cut through the hardest of vegetables such as sweet potatoes to save you from doing it manually.
Made from durable stainless steel, these blades are rust-resistant. You will not have to worry about any rusted steel blades messing up your favorite dishes here. Nor will you need to worry about bent or blunt blades.
These are strong enough to stay in shape and remain sharp for a longer period of time.
This is one of the easiest and most comfortable to use French fry cutters on the market. Its extended handle is exclusive to this product.
This long, heavy handle means you can push the potatoes through the cutter with extra ease and efficiency. The less time cutting means more time nibbling on delicious French fries!
Compared to earlier models, this product comes with upgraded anti-slip suction cups and non-slip feet. Therefore, the cutter will stay stable at all times, even when you vigorously try to cut the hardest of vegetables.
Its stainless steel design is very easy to clean. Again, you can wash it in the dishwasher but, for the best clean, place the cutter blade in water and wipe with a brush. Then, rinse away and never worry about any rust forming.
As with all of our choices today, this is another multipurpose product. It has a very large capacity for cutting potatoes so you can make enough fries for a big family meal.
Whether it’s carrots, onions, cucumbers, or more, this cutter will bring a restaurant feeling straight into your kitchen.
- Lightweight - Easy to transport f required and use by most people
- Easy to clean - Although it’s dishwasher friendly, just wash in water and rinse
- Extended handle - Offers more stability and control when cutting
- No instructions included - Can be difficult to assemble without any guidance
- 【No Bent or Blunt Fry Cutter】- Special designed stainless steel blade, sharp and durable, never be worried about it will bent even though you had cutted hundreds of potatoes or more.Besides, there are 2 kinds of blades for you to choose for different size french fries.
- 【Extended Handle】- The long heavy duty handle made pushing potatoes through the cutting blades easy with very little effort. From now on, you will find it's such an easy thing to slice potatoes
- 【Large Capacity for Cutting Potatoes】- This french fry cutter has a large capacity, the biggest potatoes size can rich 5 x 2.9 x 2.9 inches. No need to cut the potatoes in half any more if you want to have some french fries.
- 【Easy to Clean Cutter】- Made up with stainless steel material, it's very easy to clean the cutter blade just with water, sometimes need a brush,never be worried about rust.
- 【French Fries Time】- Own a Reliatronic french fry cutter, to enjoy the happy weekend or holidays with all of your families, enjoying french fries while talking, dancing, playing games, what a nice day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although many are deemed dishwasher compatible, we recommend not going down this route. To ensure your cutter lasts as long as possible, you should unscrew (disassemble) the device and wash it manually. Use a brush on the blade and rinse in warm water.
Most French fry cutters are able to cut 6 to 8 inches long fries. These are thin and long compared to wedges. On the whole, not many potatoes are bigger than this and most cutters should be able to cut a regular potato with ease.