Having a good quality kitchen torch will make your life so much easier. From roasting peppers to torching different desserts, a quality kitchen torch is an absolute must in any kitchen environment.
The only problem is the wide range to choose from. How on earth do you know which is the right one for you from so many? This is where we step in.
We have thoroughly researched the best kitchen torches on the market and come up with the top 4. We have studied the best brands on the market such as Iwatana, Bernzomatic, BonJour, and more. This way, you have the peace of mind that each tool is exceptional.
We have made sure the torches on display today are safe to use without the risk of possible burns. We will be looking at the pros and cons of each product so you can make an informed decision on which one is best suited for you.
First, we will start with a comparison table that lays out all the information on each tool. We will then move on to detailed reviews on each torch and finish off with some of the most frequently asked questions that you may also have.
Below are some of the most key factors that we looked at when deciding on the best kitchen torches. Using these criteria, we were able to compare and contrast hundreds of torches and come up with the best four for you to choose from.
When you’re using a kitchen torch, you are handling a live flame. Therefore, a solid, comfortable grip is an essential feature. Compared to other kitchen tools such as ladles and whisks, a kitchen torch poses far more of a threat to your safety and others around you.
When you choose a kitchen torch, the handle and grip must be comfortable, easy to hold, and very secure. This will help keep you and others around you safe and allow for better control when applying the flame to different dishes.
The majority of kitchen torches are fun on fuel. Their burning time can vary from half an hour to a whole hour. There are some that can even last for up to two hours!
It is important that you know how long you intend to use your torch for and why. For instance, a professional kitchen will require a torch that has a long operating time. But if you plan to just use it now and again in your home’s kitchen for dishes such as creme brulees, then a torch with a lower operational time should suffice.
An Adjustable Flame
The best culinary torches offer adjustable flame settings so you can control the intensity of the flame. If you’re using your torch for a variety of recipes, this is a very useful feature to have. Therefore, a torch should have easy-to-use settings and controls so you can adjust the heat in an instance.
Due to a kitchen torch’s active flame, health and safety is critical. That is why we only chose the products with the highest safety features to ensure you and others are protected from the flame as much as possible.
Many high-quality torches boast multiple safety measures to prevent accidental damage and injuries. Some of the safety features that should always be looked for are:
- A heat shield
- A flame guard
- A safety lock
- Aluminum or stainless steel nozzles
We recommend using a torch that implements most, if not all, of these features.
A Solid Base
Along with the safety features mentioned above, a sturdy, secure base is also essential. When you need to place your torch down, it should be able to stand without the risk of tipping or falling over easily.
Those with wider bases allow you to put the torch down safely whenever you need to. If a torch topples over, it can cause a serious accident and, of course, can become damaged. By ensuring high safety measures, your torch should last a long time with zero accidents or injuries.
Best Kitchen Torch
1. Best Overall: Iwatani International Iwatani PRO2 Culinary Butane Torch
Taking our top spot is the Iwatani International Pro 2 Culinary Butane Torch. One of the highest quality torches on the market, this is easy to use, convenient, and very effective on a range of dishes.
Its design features are simple and its trigger-style operation allows for an overall comfortable grip for ease of control. The handheld attachment hooks straight into its butane fuel canister so you can engage it with just one touch. Lightweight but sturdy, you shouldn’t have a problem roasting a range of dishes from different angles.
This Iwatani torch can reach a high heat of 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit. And don’t be afraid of it burning out too quickly. This impressive tool has a continual burning time of around 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Adjusting the flame on this Iwatani torch is simple. You just need to twist the nozzle to achieve a higher or lower temperature. This way, you can adjust the flame’s concentration to adapt to any recipe or dish. There are two dials for adjusting the flame:
The flame strength adjustment nozzle - This changes the intensity of the flame
The flame shape adjustment nozzle - This adjust the length and width of the flame
So, if you want to leave a light roasting on a certain dessert, simply turn the nozzle down. It couldn’t be easier!
This is made from stainless steel and has an on/off lock that allows for a continuous flame without holding down the trigger or any buttons for a long period. This limits the chance of any burns and discomfort when holding.
The Iwatani torch is completely portable. You can take it camping or to cooking class with ease. And when you need to put it down, its safety is promoted further by a stabilizing plate.
This attaches to the butane canister keeping the entire unit standing upright. Combined with its solid construction, this extra surface area on its foundation will keep the torch safe and secure on your kitchen countertop.
- Easy to use - Its trigger-style operation is simple to use and allows you to control the intensity of the flame from a safe distance
- Long burning time - A burning time of 1 hour and 50 minutes is very impressive, even for a professional kitchen
- Very safe - Iwatani pride themselves on their safety features and this torch is no exception with a solid, durable build and a safety lock feature
- Not ideal for delicate dishes - Flame can be a little too strong when using it on lighter dishes such as Creme Brulees
- Iwatani top quality butane torch is backed by a 1-year manufacturer (butane not included)
- Easy to use butane torch - adjustable flame size and shape to concentrate the flame as much or as little as you need, one touch piezo ignition, and stabilizing plate for your safety
- Kitchen Torch perfect for roasting and charring vegetables, glazing ham, browning and crisping toppings, melting cheese and of course producing the sugary crust on crème Brulee, meringues and pastries
- Sous vide Torch that adds complex flavors, and wonderful texture to perfectly finish off your steaks, fish, chicken and vegetables in just a few minutes
- Portable Torch that’s perfect for camping, at home, professional, culinary school, and BBQ’s just twist and it locks in place
2. Best Budget: Spicy Dew Blow Torch
Most of us have a budget in mind when purchasing new items, especially those for our kitchens. The same goes for torches.
Thankfully, there is a range of affordable options on the market but our best budget pick is the Spicy Dew Blow Torch. This is an attractive, easy-to-use torch that also boasts a long running time.
For its small price tag, the Spicy Dew Blow Torch has everything you will need to make your dishes as mouth-watering as possible.
Spicy dew Blow Torches are very comfortable to use. Alongside their stylish, unique partial green design, the handle is lightweight so you can feel confident when operating the flame. Starting the flame is very easy with the trigger button and you will feel in complete control the whole time.
There is no doubt that this is a multipurpose tool. It can be used for indoor as well as outdoor use so don’t be afraid to take it on a camping trip to get a head start on your campfire.
Its instant flame can burn at a scorching 2372 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 60 minutes. This may not last as long as some others but it should be enough time for the average home kitchen.
Once you have used up its fuel, you can simply refill the included tank fast and easily to get going again.
There is a flame adjustable knob included with the Spicy Dew Blow Torch. Whether you’re lighting a candle or gently crisping different food toppings, you can easily adjust the intensity of this torch’s flame.
It also has a fuel gauge window so you can keep a close eye on when it may start to run out.
As with all kitchen torches, safety is of top concern with this Spicy Dew product. Thankfully, this comes with a safety lock so you can use it worry-free.
Just pressing the safety lock button will block the trigger from operating so there is no chance of any flames shooting out when you least expect them to.
Unlike many torches in the same price range, this is very well constructed. It is made from heavy-duty metal with a flame guard to prevent any flaring. There is also a hand protection guard to protect you from the intense heat of the flame.
The safety is further enhanced by a solid, wide base. This sturdy, fixed base prevents the torch from falling over when it is set down, preventing accidents and potential injuries. Stability and safety are exceptional with the Spicy dew Blow Torch, especially for its affordable price.
- Multipurpose - Can be used for a range of activities in the kitchen
- Feel in control over the flame - This torch’s design allows you to feel safe and in control at all times
- Great safety features - A safety lock prevents any unwanted flames from shooting out when least expected
- Difficult for beginners - Instructions are virtually non-existent so can be hard to get to grips with at first
- 🔥PROFESSIONAL AND HIGHEST QUALITY COOKING TORCH- Envision yourself creating the tastiest and most mouth-watering dishes on par with the best restaurants in the world! Used by top chefs, Spicy Dew torch is perfect for caramelizing sugar atop crème brulee, searing a steak, roasting bell peppers & marshmallows, melting cheese and toasting bread crumbs etc. Our amazing torch will let you transform simple recipes into dishes that look and taste as if they came from a professional chef’s kitchen.
- ♨️MULTIPURPOSE TOOL FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE- With its stylish and portable design, this torch is ideal for lighting candles, barbecue and fireplace . Thanks to its high burning temperature and extreme durability, our torch can be used for dabbing, soldering, welding, jewelry making, plumbing, camping and various art & craft applications. The instant flame can burn to an amazing 2372°F for up to 60 minutes. Comes in a top-quality gift box, Spicy Dew torch can be your perfect gifting idea.
- ⛑️EXCEPTIONALLY SAFE - Do not waste your money on all those cheaply made torches that break and stop working after a while. Featuring anti-flare technology, Spicy Dew torch comes with CHILD SAFETY LOCK for accident and worry-free use. Unlike many other cheap torches, our well-constructed torch is made of heavy duty metal with a sturdy fixed BASE to stop it falling over when you set it down, FLAME GUARD to prevent flaring and HAND PROTECTION GUARD to protect you from the heat of the flame.
- 👌EXTREMELY EASY TO USE - You deserve to feel confident and be the boss of flame production. Starting the flame is as easy as pressing the CHILD SAFETY LOCK and the TRIGGER button after rotating the FLAME ADJUSTABLE KNOB counter clockwise. Depending on what you're using the torch for, you can easily adjust the intensity of the flame. It is very easy to refill the torch using widely available BUTANE GAS (NOT INCLUDED). This compact Torch has a FUEL GAUGE WINDOW for refill indication.
- ✅100% RISK-FREE AND NO HASSLE WARRANTY - Spicy Dew is committed to provide the best quality kitchen products in the market and customer’s satisfaction is our #1 priority. We trust and stand by our distinctive torch. This is why our handheld blowtorch is covered with NO Questions, NO Hassle Money Back Guarantee for 90 Days and a 3-year Warranty! So, order now and consider getting our ever popular and safest torch for your best friend too.
3. Best for Steaks: Bernzomatic TS8000
There’s nothing quite like a steak that has been seared to perfection. Thankfully, the Bernzomatic TS8000 helps you achieve that light char a lot easier.
This allows you to direct and focus the flames with absolute precision so you can get exquisite cooking results every time. This tool will certainly take your cooking game to a whole new level.
The Bernzomatic TS800 has a comfortable, cast aluminum construction that is built to last. However, we recommend using safety gloves as the heat can become a little uncomfortable if you’re holding the torch for some time.
The Bernzomatic TS8000 is unique in that it sports a large, optimized swirl flame. This burns at a very hot temperature for maximum heat output.
This feature also allows the flame to burn continuously for longer, providing a 30% faster soldering time. For best results, Bernzomatic recommends using this torch with MAP-Pro fuel such as Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. Map-Pro Hand Torch Cylinder.
You can easily adjust the flame on this product with its control knob. This allows you to switch between applications so you can lightly toast marshmallows over a campfire or create those beautiful seared lines on a steak.
The Bernzomatic TS8000 features an instant on/off trigger igniter that can be operated by one hand. However, this can be operated easily, even by children.
To ensure a child’s safety, as well as yours, there is a lock button installed that blocks the trigger from moving and igniting.
This lock button also keeps the torch lit for finger-free use when you need to use it on a wide range of dishes at any one time. Couple this with its strong aluminum body, you get a durable, highly safe, multipurpose torch.
Its heavy base allows you to stand the whole unit up when not in use. This helps the torch stay secure and safe when in storage without any risk of toppling over and getting damaged.
- Durable - A cast aluminum construction should see this torch last for many years
- Easy to adjust the flame - Perfect for using on different applications
- Long burning time - Compared to many, this torch has a 30% faster soldering time
- Flame quality could be improved upon - When the valve is turned down, the flame’s qualityy tends to degrade
- Auto start/stop ignition easily ignites and extinguishes flame
- Ultra swirl flame provides maximum heat output for large diameter soldering, brazing, heat treating and light welding
- For best results, use with MAP-Pro fuel, such as the Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. MAP-Pro Hand Torch Cylinder
- Cast aluminum body construction for durability
- Pressure regulated for consistent performance when tilted or momentarily inverted
4. Best Ergonomic Design: BonJour Chef’s Tools Butane Culinary / Crème Brûlée Torch
Next, we have a strong, very comfortable-to-use aluminum torch from BonJour. Although the name may suggest the torch can only be used for preparing Creme Brulee, it can actually be used for all kinds of browning and melting purposes.
Need to brown a meringue or brown potatoes? The BonJour Chef’s Torch is a great option.
The ergonomic design of this torch is impeccable. Laboring over a meal of blackened tomatoes or seared steaks can be back-breaking work. That is why you need an easy-to-use, comfortable torch to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
Weighing only 0.75 pounds and measuring 4.5 x 2.2 x 6.3 inches, this torch from BonJour fits in the palm of your hand with ease to leave your joints completely pain-free.
The imprinted finger design allows your fingers to rest neatly in the grooves without any strain appearing, even after long periods of roasting.
BonJour claims that this torch can reach temperatures ranging from 2012 degrees Fahrenheit to 2822 degrees Fahrenheit. However, customers have stated that its real-life temperature veers towards the lower end of this estimate.
However, this is more than enough to caramelize sugars and gently roast different dishes with ease. And the burning time has been known to reach three hours but this depends on the size of the flame.
You can adjust the flame length by simply moving the flame adjustment slide on the side of the torch. You can also change the flame’s width by pushing the air control lever. Both of these controls are located on the head of the torch and are easy to operate.
The BonJour Chef’s Torch features an extra-long nozzle with an anti-flare flame. This allows you to roast food from a safe distance without the risk of burning yourself.
It also features a safety lock that allows for a continuous flame so your hand doesn’t need to be locked into position the whole time.
Included with this torch is a removable stand. When not in use, you can safely place the torch on this stand for secure storage. The stand’s base is sturdy so you can rest assured that there is hardly any risk of the torch falling over at any time.
- Very comfortable - Handle sits in hand without putting any strain on the fingers
- Lightweight - Very portable so you can take it camping or to cooking classes if desired
- Great value for money - Compared to torches in this price range, this tends to offer the best features
- Hard to get the flame going at first - Can be a little complicated to operate at first
- BonJour Chef’s Tools Butane Culinary Torch, Aluminum
- Kitchen torch, made from die cast aluminum; powered with standard butane fuel containers
- Culinary torch body features a fuel level indicator window so you know when it's time to refill
- Make restaurant quality desserts at home
- Makes a handy gift idea for the kitchen enthusiast
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the time, kitchen torches use propane or butane as fuel. Both fuels are completely safe when used around food as they are pure alkanes with no harmful chemicals or nasty tastes.