Oyster knives are the best tool if you are cooking oysters or clams and need to remove the meat. Consisting of a small beveled blade, the oyster knife is inserted into the closed shell’s entry point and then pries the shell apart.
The blade can then cut through any muscle or membrane to gather as much meat as possible without breaking the cuts so it can be cooked evenly and consistently.
However, if you have never used oyster knives before, you may feel a bit overwhelmed as to where to start when it comes to choosing which one is right for you.
We’ve gathered the top five oyster knives available on the market followed by an exclusive Buyers Guide and FAQ where you will find out everything there is to know when conducting your own research.
Here are the top five oyster knives on the market that you should consider:
Best Oyster Knife
Our top recommendation is the Dexter-Russell – 2.75" New Haven Style Oyster Knife which features a sani-safe handle as well as a blade made from high carbon, high alloy, stain free DEXSTEEL.
Certified by the National Sanitation Foundation, this knife has reached safety standards according to the American health and safety guidelines.
This knife is guaranteed to last years of heavy-duty use thanks to the premium materials used in its construction. The sturdy grip handle means that you will always maintain control when penetrating the shell and shucking the meat.
What makes this our top pick is that it has been made within the USA so you can have peace of mind that the best materials have been used in its design and manufacturing.
This knife is designed to withstand years of use and performs best when hand washed and dried thoroughly after use. Its small size makes it perfect for storing away when not in use.
- Features a sani-safe handle as well as a blade made from high carbon, high alloy, stain free DEXSTEEL
- The sturdy grip handle means that you will always maintain control when penetrating the shell and shucking the meat
- Designed to withstand years of use and performs best when hand washed and dried thoroughly after use
- High price point
- New Haven pattern with a Sani-Safe handle
- High Carbon, High Alloy, Stain free DEXSTEEL
- This knife is NSF certified
- Care: Hand wash and dry after use
- Made in USA
Our second selection is the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Non-Slip Oyster Knife which features a sturdy stainless steel blade meaning that it is resistant to rust and corrosion as well as extremely durable and reliable so you can be guaranteed to have years of heavy-duty use.
The bent tip makes prying the oyster shell open easier, safer, and more convenient. The handle is made from strong grip materials which means that you will have more control even when wet.
This oyster knife is made from OXO who are renowned in the industry for making high-quality essentials for the home and kitchen which are made to be used regularly.
The handle is both soft and sturdy so it is comfortable to use for long periods of time. Ideal for those who want a low-maintenance knife, this product is dishwasher safe and will still perform at a high standard no matter how often it is used.
- Features a sturdy stainless steel blade meaning that it is resistant to rust and corrosion as well as extremely durable and reliable so you can be guaranteed to have years of heavy-duty use
- The bent tip makes prying the oyster shell open easier, safer, and more convenient
- Ideal for those who want a low maintenance knife, this product is dishwasher safe and will still perform at a high standard no matter how often it is used
- The tip bends more than it should the more it is used
- Sturdy stainless steel blade
- A bent tip makes prying open oyster shells easier
- Soft, comfortable handle won’t slip in your hand, even when wet
- Dishwasher safe
Our third choice is the Rockland Guard Oyster Shucking Set which is ideal for those who have never purchased an oyster knife before and need the additional equipment for security and protection.
The blade is made from stainless steel and boasts a non-slip easy-grip handle which means that it is reliable and durable thanks to the rust and corrosion resistance so it will withstand years of heavy-duty use.
The handle will not slip and allows you to have as much control as possible as the bent tip penetrates the shell.
This knife is also dishwasher safe which makes it perfect for those who run busy households and want a product that is efficient and quick to clean after use.
The 420 stainless steel is the highest quality and has been thick reinforced with high carbon so it has the perfect rigidity and width to slip between the oyster shells and open them.
Whether you are purchasing for yourself or as a gift, this oyster knife is the perfect gift for any occasion and will suit any kitchen countertop.
Rockland Guard guarantees complete customer satisfaction and this knife comes with a lifetime warranty to provide extra peace of mind with a customer service team on hand who are happy to help with any queries you may have.
- This knife is also dishwasher safe which makes it perfect for those who run busy households and want a product that is efficient and quick to clean after use
- The 420 stainless steel is the highest quality and has been thick reinforced with high carbon so it has the perfect rigidity and width to slip between the oyster shells and open them
- Comes with a lifetime warranty to provide extra peace of mind with a customer service team on hand who are happy to help with any queries you may have
- The gloves are very thin and don’t grip the knife well
- PLATINUM PROTECTION - Awarded with the EN388 level 5 cut resistance, highest cut resistance level material available on the market. Food safe and machine washable, keeping your gloves clean is easy.
- OYSTER KNIFE- 3.5’’ Stainless steel oyster knife with non-slip easy grip handle. Working through a bushel of oysters is simple, its soft handle is shaped to nestle comfortably in your hand. Even better, the handle wont slip as the sturdy, stainless-steel blade with its bent tip penetrates and pries open the toughest shells. The oyster knife is dishwasher safe.
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADE - Using only the best 420-stainless steel, the thick reinforced high-carbon stainless-steel blade has the perfect rigidity and width to powerfully slip between the oyster shells to open them.
- GREAT GIFT IDEA - Our signature oyster knife looks fabulous on a shelf or on a kitchen counter-top when it is not shucking oysters and also makes an impression as gifts for weddings, groomsmen, golf tournament, corporate affairs or donor appreciation events.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY – Every oyster shucking set is backed by our lifetime warranty. Place your order with confidence!
Our penultimate recommendation is the WENDOM Oyster Knife Shucker Set which features gloves that are made from the highest cut resistance level material to prevent any injury.
The thick knife blade is only sharp where it needs to be at the tip making it perfect for the beginner shucker. The blades are made from top quality 3CR13 stainless steel which has been professionally sharpened making it easier to open the oyster shell in a more effective way.
The handle is made from black plastic and is soft and comfortable, providing a strong grip so you maintain control when cutting through the muscle and membrane of the oyster.
This set is ideal for those who haven’t purchased or used an oyster knife before as it comes with everything you need to prepare oysters in a convenient and easier way.
As well as two blades, you also receive a pair of resistant gloves and a lemon squeezer so you can prepare the oysters traditionally and properly. This makes it a great gift idea for the avid chef in your life.
WENDOM guarantees customer satisfaction and this set comes with a 100% money-back guarantee so you can have peace of mind as they will offer a refund or replacement should you need it.
- The blades are made from top quality 3CR13 stainless steel which has been professionally sharpened making it easier to open the oyster shell in a more effective way
- The handle is made from black plastic and is soft and comfortable, providing a strong grip so you maintain control when cutting through the muscle and membrane of the oyster
- Comes with a 100% money-back guarantee so you can have peace of mind as they will offer a refund or replacement should you need it
- The tips of the blades need sharpening before use
- 【AWAY FROM HURT】Gloves made of Highest Cut Resistance Level Material on the market. Thick knife blade is only sharp where it needs to be. Making it perfect for the beginner shucker.
- 【STRONG&STURDY BLADES】Forged from top quality 3CR13 Stainless Steel&Professionally Sharpened,not like cheap thin blade bent when work. You can easily&effectively open any type of seafood shell. Strength you can trust!
- 【NON-SLIP DESIGN】WENDOM knife made of black plastic handle,soft and comfortable to grip,won't slip in your hand.
- 【BEST PRACTICAL&VALUED SET】WEDNOM give a anti-slip cloth to hold the oyster when shucking as extra gift for our customer. All in 1 set,can be use for working,party,picnic,BBQ,dinner,travel and so on.
Our final selection is the HiCoup Oyster Shucking Knife & Glove Kit which features a blade made from mirror finish stainless steel to ensure its longevity and quality.
Securely held in a beautiful wooden handle, the blade has been thickened for the perfect rigidity and width so it can slide easily into the shell.
The handle has been finished with a handguard so it fits comfortably into your hand while the slip-free surface means that you will retain control even with wet hands. The gloves included in the kit provide extra protection and security when using the blades.
The blade is 2.5 inches long which makes it incredibly strong and ideal for opening oysters of any size while feeling great in your hand.
This oyster knife set is compact making it ideal for storing away when not in use while still providing great results on oysters of any size.
The design of the blade is lightweight and sleek so you can swiftly cut through the shell with ease. A great gift for the cooking enthusiast in your life or as an addition to your own kitchen, this is an ideal purchase for those wanting to delve into adventurous seafood cooking.
- The blade has been thickened for the perfect rigidity and width so it can slide easily into the shell
- The handle has been finished with a handguard so it fits comfortably into your hand while the slip-free surface means that you will retain control even with wet hands
- The design of the blade is lightweight and sleek so you can swiftly cut through the shell with ease
- High price point
- HIGH CARBON BLADE - Our artisanal oyster shucker features a blade forged with mirror-finish stainless steel. Securely held in a beautiful wooden handle, it has the perfect rigidity and width to slide into a shell.
- SAFETY - The pakka handle of this oyster opener boasts a handguard to keep wet hands from slipping into the blade. Also included is an oyster shucking glove set for added protection when holding oysters and clams.
- TOP NOTCH DURABILITY - Measuring 6.5" from tip-to-tip with a 2.5" blade, our professional-grade oyster knives exude quality workmanship. Each shucker is incredibly strong and feels great in your hand.
- COMPACT - Shucking oysters and clams of any size is a cinch with this oyster glove and clam knife set. The shucker is light and comfortable to hold, so you can split open small and large shells in no time.
- BEAUTIFUL GIFT - When you have our oyster shucking kit, there's no need for an expensive machine to shuck your seafood. It makes a wonderful surprise to pearl divers and anyone who loves a wild catch!
Best Oyster Knife Buyer’s Guide
When researching which oyster knife is the best one for you, there are a variety of factors that you need to consider before making any purchase.
Always think about the materials that the knife is made from, whether it comes with any additional equipment, potential return or warranty policies, and your budget.
Once you’ve weighed these up against your own criteria, you’ll be able to make a fully informed decision with confidence.
The first thing you always need to look into is the materials used in making the knife. This will determine the durability and longevity of the equipment so you need to make sure it is going to give you years of heavy-duty use.
The best blades are made from stainless steel as these are rust and corrosion resistant while also boasting durability and reliability.
Having a handle that allows for a firm and sturdy grip will mean that you have complete control when penetrating the shell as well as when it comes to removing the meat, which can be difficult.
The next factor you always need to consider is if you receive any additional equipment.
For those who are unfamiliar with shucking oysters and haven’t purchased the proper equipment before, there are a couple of recommendations in this list that are ideal as they contain a full set that includes safety gloves that provide more grip and control to make the process safer.
However, for those who want the knife only, there are plenty of options for you as well.
As is the case with most knives, a lot of brands provide some form of returns policy or warranty period with oyster knives. This is because they are designed to last for years of heavy-duty use.
If you are unfamiliar with oyster knives or have never used them before, this is a great way to give you extra peace of mind with your purchase.
Most companies have a specially trained customer service team who can give you assistance should you need it.
Lastly, always think about your budget before making your final decision.
As you can see from the recommendations in this article, oyster knives can vary greatly in price which means that there are plenty of high-quality options for those with the money to spend as well as those on a stricter budget. There is no need for you to compromise your bank account or miss out.
Oyster Knife Bestsellers:
Frequently Asked Questions
Oysters can be opened using heat by sitting it on a grill for 15 minutes where the steam can open it up. However, using a knife is a quicker solution as it is less time-consuming as well as convenient since oyster knives aren’t that costly compared to other knives.
The traditional oyster knife shape is a blade that is between 2.5 to 4 inches long with a straight and symmetrical blade.
The sides of the blade don’t have to be sharp but the tip needs to be as that is the part of the knife that makes contact with the shell. Sticking to an oyster knife will allow you to do a better and more consistent job when extracting the meat.