Do you like cookies? Do you like waffles? If you answered yes to both of these questions, you’ll definitely love pizzelle.
Pizzelle are Italian sweet treats that are essentially a cross between cookies and waffles. They’re absolutely delicious and very versatile, making them a perfect dessert or snack choice for all palates.
There’s just one problem: pizzelle are quite difficult to make without the assistance of a purpose-built appliance. You can try using a waffle iron, but this is unlikely to yield the thin, crispy, delicate results you’re looking for.
Luckily, with the market for home kitchenware and appliances expanding every day, it’s now easy to find high-quality pizzelle makers through online retailers.
We have 5 amazing pizzelle makers to review for you today, along with a detailed key criteria guide and an FAQ section.
The body or external surface of your pizzelle maker needs to be durable and easy to wipe clean with a cloth since electronic appliances cannot be submerged in water.
We recommend prioritizing pizzelle makers with aluminum or stainless steel exteriors because these materials are both wear-resistant and easy to clean without a significant amount of water.
Size and Weight
You will also need to consider the overall size of a pizzelle maker before finalizing your purchase.
This is important so that you can be sure that you have enough storage space for the appliance in your kitchen. It’s also a crucial factor if you’re looking for a portable pizzelle maker that you can take with you for use outside of the home.
Don’t forget to think about weight if you’re planning on taking your pizzelle maker outside of your home. Mini pizzelle makers can weigh less than 2 lbs.
Possibly the most important feature to assess when choosing a pizzelle maker is the layout and design of the plate(s).
The average pizzelle maker has anywhere between 1 and 4 baking plates. In pizzelle makers that have 4 plates, these will usually be small plates designed for making smaller pizzelle. 2-plate and 1-plate models will normally feature plates of average size.
Make sure to verify the sizes of the plates in inches so you have a clear picture of how large your finished pizzelle will be. The average pizzella measures 5 inches across, with mini pizzelle typically measuring 3.5 inches.
Ideally, pizzelle baking plates should be non-stick. As we mentioned previously, it can be difficult to clean electrical appliances such as pizzelle makers. A non-stick cooking surface minimizes the risk of batter sticking to the plate(s).
If you’re interested in producing decorative, traditional, and visually appealing pizzelle, you’ll also want to pay attention to the pattern on the baking plate(s). Sometimes, if the pizzelle maker has multiple plates, a different pattern will be featured on each plate. Other pizzelle makers will have a different pattern on either side of the plate.
Pay attention to the advertised heating and cooking times stated in the product guidelines.
This is important information to know so that you can work out how long making pizzelle will take and how you will fit this into your day-to-day life and other commitments.
Luckily, making pizzelle typically doesn’t take too long. High-quality pizzelle makers can often cook pizzelle in as little as 30 seconds.
However, buyers should be aware that the advertised cooking time does not reflect how long the appliance will take to heat up. It’s not uncommon for pizzelle makers, just like waffle irons, to take up to 15 minutes to heat up completely.
Settings and Controls
Not all pizzelle makers have adjustable settings or controls. With some pizzelle makers, you’ll need to set your own timer or rely on your instincts to know when to lift the lid.
Other pizzelle makers have browning dials that allow you to control the temperature and cooking time. Some even have indicator lights that turn on or flash to tell you when your pizzelle are done.
If you’re experienced in using pizzelle makers or waffle irons, a model without controls and settings may work well for you. However, if you’re a beginner, we recommend choosing a pizzelle maker that has some adjustable or built-in setting controls and indicators to help you out.
Pizzelle makers can get very hot, which presents a burn hazard during use. In order to keep you safe, many manufacturers of pizzelle makers have incorporated various safety features.
One of the most important safety features of a pizzelle maker is a steam guard, which protects your hands from excess steam when handling the appliance.
Longer handles are also a crucial but often overlooked safety feature. The longer the handle is on your pizzelle maker, the more room you have to grip the handle without putting your hand too close to the body and plates of the appliance.
We’ve also included a couple of pizzelle makers that come with additional features.
Often, pizzelle makers include recipe guides or recipe books to get you started using your new appliance.
A measuring scoop and rolling pin for the batter are also included by some manufacturers, meaning that you don’t need to buy any other tools to start making the perfect pizzelle!
Best Pizzelle Maker
1. Best Overall: CucinaPro Pizzelle Maker
The CucinaPro Pizzelle Maker is the highest-rated pizzelle maker on the market, and even better, it’s very affordable considering its high quality and functionality.
CucinaPro is an American kitchenware brand that specializes in appliances and utensils for traditional cuisine around the world. This includes Italian, French, Mexican, Chinese, and Scandinavian cooking styles.
Using this pizzelle maker, you can make 2 pizzelle at any one time, which saves a lot of time and effort compared to models that only make one waffle cookie at a time.
The pizzelle created by this pizzelle maker are 5 inches in diameter. This is the ideal size for pizzelle because they are large enough to be satisfying as they are, or to turn into waffle cones!
There is no timer on this pizzelle maker, which can be a disadvantage when you’re just starting out. However, the upside of the lack of a timer is that you get to control the cooking time yourself, meaning that you can tailor your final pizzelle to your personal taste and preferences.
The surface inside the CucinaPro pizzelle maker is non-stick, which protects your pizzelle against tearing and burning and is also a huge bonus when it comes to cleaning.
Plus, CucinaPro has included a built-in steam guard as well as a long lifting handle to help protect you against burns. This makes the CucinaPro pizzelle maker a safe, practical, and ergonomic choice.
- Makes 2 pizzelle: Saves time
- 5-inch pizzelle: Optimal size
- Flexible cooking time: Tailor to your preference
- Steam guard: Protects against steam burns
- Non-stick: Easy cleaning and
- No timer: You are responsible for cooking times
- Pizzelle Baker- Makes 2 pizzelles at one time- Recipes Included!
- Pizzelle Maker- Cookies measure at 5 inches, the perfect bit size for cones. Fun for a gift or special birthday, holiday treat!
- Pizzelle Press- Steam guard protects hands. NEW Updated Nonstick Model has GREY nonstick cooking plates instead of black. Newer model also produces cookies that are just slightly thicker than original model.
- Extra-thick baking plates ensure even heat distribution
- Non-stick surface makes for easy clean up. Please note your pizzelle baker may omit an odor upon first use. This is due to the plates heating for the first time, or the bakelite material releasing a harmless scent into the packaging.
2. Runner-Up: Cuisinart WM-PZ10 Pizzelle Press
As our runner-up, we’ve chosen the Cuisinart WM-PZ10 Pizzelle Press!
Cuisinart has been established since 1971, and since then, the company has won numerous awards for its high-quality kitchenware. Therefore, you can rest assured that this is a brand you can trust.
The Cuisinart WM-PZ10 Pizzelle Press features a pair of non-stick baking plates that make the cooking and cleaning process and quick and easy as possible.
This pizzelle maker gives you control over the browning of your pizzelle through the use of a control dial, which you can set to your preferred position as needed. Meanwhile, the built-in indicator lights help you to monitor the progress of your pizzelle and know when they are ready.
Also included with the purchase of the Cuisinart pizzelle maker are a measuring scoop, recipe book, and rolling pin, so once you receive your new pizzelle maker, there’s no reason not to dive right in!
Our only disappointment with this pizzelle maker is the fact that the latch, which needs to be lifted to remove the pizzelle from the press, gets very hot during use. This means that you will have to use oven gloves, or a tea towel at the least, to open the pizzelle maker shortly after it has been used.
- 2 baking plates: Makes 2 pizzelle
- Non-stick plates: Ensures easy cleaning
- Indicator lights: Easy timing and monitoring
- Browning control dial: Adjustable settings
- Rolling pin, scoop, and recipe book included: Comes with everything you need
- Heat-conductive latch: Requires hand protection
- Easy to use from start to finish & bakes two 4" pizzelle
- Ready-to-bake and Ready-to-Eat indicator lights provide perfect timing
- Nonstick baking plates remove pizzelle without breaking
- 5 setting browning control
- Includes: measuring scoop, rolling Dowel and recipe book
3. Best Budget: Dash Mini Pizzelle Maker
Being on a budget doesn’t have to mean putting your pizzelle-making plans to one side! With this Mini Pizzelle Maker from Dash, you can make the pizzelle of your dreams without breaking the bank.
Dash believes that living a wellness-focused lifestyle can depend on something as simple as having the right tools available to you. Because of this, Dash specializes in small, portable, and easy-to-use appliances and utensils for kitchen use.
This is a very convenient and portable pizzelle maker, weighing in at just 1.3 lbs. It’s compact and easy to store in your kitchen, plus you can take it with you if you think you may need to use it away from home.
On either side of the baking plate, you’ll find two different patterns, each of which is a traditional design for pizzelle. This means that using the Dash Mini Pizzelle Maker, you’ll be able to create authentic-looking and aesthetically pleasing pizzelle.
The baking plate is non-stick, so you’ll never find yourself wrangling with pieces of burnt batter stuck to the plate, or worse, starting your attempt over again due to breakage. The pizzelle lift cleanly off the surface for a stress-free washing-up process.
Dash has even included a helpful recipe guide with instructions on how to flavor or change up your pizzelle recipe, which we think is great, especially if you’re a beginner to using this type of appliance or following this type of recipe.
Unfortunately, due to the size of the press, you can only make one pizzella at a time.
- Non-stick surface: Simplifies cleaning and minimizes breakage
- 2 traditional patterns: Makes decorative desserts
- Recipe guide included: Perfect for beginners
- 1.3 lbs: Portable
- Makes 1 pizzelle at a time: Not the best for saving time
4. Best Premium: Palmer Pizzelle Maker Classic
If you’re open to the idea of spending a little extra for a premium-grade pizzelle maker, our recommendation has to be the Palmer Pizzelle Maker Classic.
Palmer was founded many years ago in 1943, and the business’s first products were small-scale cookie irons. Since then, Palmer has come a long way, continuing to expand throughout the late 20th century. To this day, Palmer’s pizzelle maker is one of the brand’s top-selling products.
The Palmer Pizzelle Maker Classic has 2 baking plates, so it can make 2 pizzelle simultaneously.
The body of the pizzelle maker is made from cast aluminum, which makes it durable, strong, easy to clean, and relatively lightweight.
You’ll notice that the plate surfaces feature 2 different and authentic pizzelle patterns so you can introduce variety into your pizzelle-making journey with beautiful results.
We especially appreciated the long handle used to lift the top of the pizzelle maker after cooking because it saves you from having to put your hands in close proximity to the heated plates.
We were also impressed by how fast the cooking time turned out to be (30 seconds), although the heat-up time is much slower, taking about 15 minutes to reach the optimal temperature.
- Cast aluminum body: Lightweight, durable, and easy to clean
- 2 baking plates: Time-saving
- 2 traditional patterns: Authentic and decorative results
- Long handle: Ergonomic and heat-resistant
- Fast cooking time: Cooks in 30 seconds
- Long heat-up time: Takes 15 minutes to reach baking temperature
- MAKES DELICIOUS CRISPY PIZZELLES - Palmer’s Pizzelle Maker Classic makes crispy, delicious pizzelles in half the time required by hand irons
- QUALITY PRODUCT MADE IN THE USA - This product is manufactured in the USA in Palmer’s factory in West Newton, PA
- 5 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY – Palmer offers a 5 year manufacturer warranty on the electrical components of this product. Palmer will repair the iron at no cost when shipped back to them directly (Palmer does not pay for return shipping)
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS - Palmer’s Pizzelle Maker Classic makes two thin 4 ½”-¼” thick cookies. This product is 120 volts, 800 watts, UL listed, and is made with cast aluminum plates
- PERFECT GIFT FOR THE KITCHEN ENTHUSIAST - This product is the perfect Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or Birthday gift for the kitchen enthusiast
5. Highly Commended: CucinaPro Piccolo Pizzelle Baker
Finally, we’d like to suggest another product by CucinaPro. We already featured the CucinaPro Pizzelle Maker as our best overall pick, but the CucinaPro Piccolo Pizzelle Baker definitely also deserves a mention.
The first thing you’ll notice about the CucinaPro Piccolo Pizzelle Baker is its sleek aluminum body. However, the aluminum construction isn’t just for aesthetics. It’s also highly wear-resistant and makes cleaning up any accidental batter splashes effortless.
Inside the pizzelle maker, you’ll find 4 mini baking plates designed to produce 3.5-inch pizzelle. This is perfect if you prefer your pizzelle to be bite-sized snacks as opposed to whole desserts or waffle cones.
The baking plates are non-stick, so clean-up is easy with a slightly dampened cloth and dish soap.
The built-in steam guard is also a fantastic touch since it goes a long way towards preventing nasty steam burns, which are unfortunately quite common with certain waffle and pizzelle irons.
We did notice, however, that some of the baking plates tend to heat up faster than others. While the difference in heat-up time isn’t enough to cause serious problems such as burning, it does mean that some of your pizzelle may be cooked to different levels.
- Aluminum body: Wear-resistant and easy to clean
- 4 mini baking plates: Makes 4 bite-sized pizzelle
- Non-stick surface: Easy to lift pizzelle and clean
- Built-in steam guard: Burn protection
- Some plates heat faster than others: May result in unevenness
- Pizzelle Italian Waffle Iron - The Piccolo Pizzelle Baker makes 4 mini pizzelle cookies at once!
- Pizzelle Maker - Non-stick baking grids ensure easy clean-up.
- Pizzelle Iron - Features a steam guard to protect hands. NEW Updated Model has GREY nonstick cooking plates instead of black.
- Pizzelle Heat Press - Extra-thick baking plates ensure even heat distribution for cripsy brown results.
- Pizzele Cookies - Each cookie has a diameter of 3.25 inches, the perfect bite size for any occasion!
Frequently Asked Questions
Making pizzelle without a pizzelle maker is so difficult that most people will find it impossible. Your closest alternative is a waffle iron, although this still will not produce the perfect results because waffles are thicker than pizzelle, and waffle irons will reflect this.
As you can see from our selection of reviewed products, it’s possible to find pizzelle makers for very affordable prices, so if you’re interested in trying your hand at pizzelle, we recommend investing in the proper appliance.
If you want to keep your pizzelle clean and functional, you’ll need to go through the proper maintenance steps.
Most pizzelle makers have baking plates that are non-removable. This means that you will need to take care to clean the plates thoroughly without damaging any of the electrical components of the pizzelle maker.
We recommend using a dry paper towel to brush away as many loose crumbs of batter as you can. If you need to get into the crevices of the plates, you can simply fold the towel to make a crease. This will help you get into all the tight spots.
Once you’ve dislodged the crumbs, take a tea towel or cloth and dip it carefully into a solution of warm water and dish soap. You don’t want to soak the cloth because this could result in water damage to your appliance.
Repeat the above process with your damp cloth. If the cloth is too thick to effectively get into crevices, you can try using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Once you’ve finished cleaning your pizzelle maker, make sure to dry the inside thoroughly by patting it down with a dry cloth.
Always remember to unplug your pizzelle maker before cleaning it, and wait until it’s cool, or at least until it’s not too hot to touch.
Join the Discussion