It’s no secret that cast iron offers some of the most durable cookware on the market. With this durability comes a lot of maintenance - from cleaning to seasoning to what utensils you use against the surface.
A spatula is one of the most well-used utensils in a kitchen, but you can’t just use an ordinary spatula on a cast iron surface.
Whether it’s a cast iron frying pan or skillet, you need to know what type of spatula is best for cast iron without ruining the surface or the food.
If you’re looking for a spatula for cast iron, you’ve come to the right place! We have found the five best products to make cooking far easier.
The products we have researched derive from reputable brands - Mannkitchen, Royal Home, Leonyo, Tovolo, and Homi Styles - to ensure good quality spatulas.
Some products are best for those on a budget, while others are the best for scratch resistance. We hope you can find the ideal utensil for your cast iron surface!
Here are the key criteria points we used to compare and contrast the products!
The material of the spatula will determine how it will affect the cast iron surface. Not only this, but the cast iron surface will begin to wear down your spatula if the material isn’t strong enough.
The best type of material for a spatula is stainless steel, because the hard cast iron surface won’t damage the spatula.
It is worth mentioning that stainless steel is only resistant to rust and corrosion if water is avoided, so make sure only to hand wash these spatulas.
Plastic spatulas should be avoided at all costs, as the material will melt against the cast iron surface that can retain heat for up to 15 minutes after cooking. Wooden spatulas can work on a cast iron surface, but they’re often not as flexible or as sturdy as stainless steel ones.
The flexibility of the spatula will determine what it can and cannot handle in a cast iron pan or skillet. Flexible spatulas can flip over pancakes, eggs, and fish, while inflexible ones are best suited for a burger patty, for example. This criteria point is mostly down to what you intend to cook.
The shape of the spatula will determine how leveled the surface of the cast iron pan or skillet will be. A square-shaped spatula is best at keeping the surface of the cast iron leveled.
There are pros and cons to spatulas with beveled edges. A spatula with a beveled edge can get underneath food easily, and the sharp edge means it is also useful for cutting the food in the pan.
However, spatulas with a non-beveled edge are less likely to scratch the pan.
Best Spatula for Cast Iron
1. Best Overall Spatula: Männkitchen Professional Grade Spatula
This spatula is made of stainless steel to allow for surface leveling on a cast iron pan or skillet. The wooden handle is also ergonomically designed for a comfortable hold.
This is an inflexible spatula that is most ideal for flipping burger patties and scraping food from the pan after cooking. This is great for those who dislike flimsy spatulas.
This is a square-shaped spatula that is ideal for gathering a lot of food onto the spatula at one time.
The edges are beveled to allow the spatula to successfully gather all the food in the pan or skillet. This is also useful for cutting the food on the surface.
Männkitchen is a family-owned business that specializes in kitchenware and tools, ranging from knives to spatulas. While the name might sound vaguely gender-specific, the name actually derives from old Norse - “Männ” is a possessive pronoun meaning “mine”, so it’s “my kitchen”.
The company has been running successfully for the last 3+ years.
Why this is the best overall spatula?
This spatula has everything you need against a cast-iron surface. The beveled edges are sharp and ideal for scooping up a variety of foods in the pan, the large square shape can hold and flip lots of food at one time without disrupting the level of the surface, and it’s not too expensive. This is a spatula you would see in a professional kitchen.
Customers are very impressed with the quality of this spatula. Most customers prefer inflexible spatulas as they offer a more sturdy hold, which this spatula offers. Customers find that this is ideal for protecting the surface of cast iron.
Overall, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive and customers enjoy having a professional culinary tool in their kitchen.
- Professional grade: Spatula is found in professional kitchens
- Inflexible: Sturdy design isn’t flimsy, which is ideal for dealing with a variety of foods
- Beveled edges: Sharp edges cut food and can get underneath food easily
- Not dishwasher safe: Stainless steel material must be hand washed
- Hardened Stainless Steel For Even Cast Iron Skillet Surface Leveling
- Precision Beveled Straight Edge for Optimal Food Release
- Comfortable Heat Resistant Single Piece Hardwood Handle
- Heavy Duty Construction For Extreme Durability
- Stiff Heavy Gauge Steel Eliminates Flex For Smash Burgers and Tough Scraping Tasks
2. Best Long Spatula: RoyalHome Extra-Large Spatula
This is a stainless steel spatula with a sturdy wooden handle that is both comfortable and easy to use.
One of the best things about this spatula is that it is the ideal balance between flexible and inflexible. This is ideal for handling foods like steaks and burgers amongst others, as the slight amount of flex allows you to easily scoop up the food.
The spatula has a square-shaped design. This product is 15” long and 4” wide, which provides an expansive surface area to handle a lot of food at the same time.
The edges are only slightly beveled. While this might seem like a downside, this means that the edges are not completely sharp and therefore will not scratch the cast iron surface. If you intend on using your spatula on a grill as well, the edges won’t get stuck or scratch against the grates.
RoyalHome is a fairly new company that specializes in spatulas and cooking tools. They are slowly becoming an increasingly popular company for the quality of their products.
Why this is the best long spatula?
If your cast iron pan or skillet is large and you often cook for multiple people at a time, or perhaps the food you intend to cook is fairly large, a long spatula is essential.
This spatula is 15” long altogether, with an 8” blade and 5” handle. The blade allows users to handle large amounts of food at the same time - from omelets to steaks.
The short and sturdy handle (in comparison to the blade) also allows for extra control.
Overall, customers are impressed with the quality of this spatula. The size of the product is the best feature for most customers, who have found that the spatula is ideal for cast iron pans, skillets, and grills.
Some customers have mentioned the heaviness of this product that has made it fairly difficult to hold, but others have said the weight provides sturdiness.
- Large blade: 8”-long blade handles multiple foods or large foods easily
- Good handle size: 5” handle provides extra control
- Semi-flexible: Not too sturdy and not too flimsy, which allows users to scoop up food easily
- Weight: Size means that this is a fairly heavy product
- 🏒 EASILY FLIP YOUR FOOD WITH OUR HEAVY-DUTY SPATULA - This restaurant Griddle spatula spatula is crafted with premium-grade stainless steel that will remain rust-free. The extra strong wooden handle can handle heavy foods like a large piece of meat! Unlike silicone or plastic spatulas that easily bend while flipping your favorite foods
- 🏒 PERFECT SIZE TO USE WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF DISHES - The wide spatula turner measures 4 inches wide and 15” inches long. The beveled blade makes for easy flipping or lifting food from the oven or pan to the serving tray. Use this turner to flip those pancakes, omelets or burgers with speed and dexterity.
- 🏒 IDEAL GRILL SPATULA FOR OUTDOOR COOKOUTS AND BARBECUES – YUM, we all love that sizzle on the grill as your succulent steaks, tasty burgers or sticky ribs cook to perfection, but don’t you just hate when you can’t seem to flip over the food smoothly. The metal blade of this large grilling spatula is rigid yet provides that slight bit of flex needed to perfectly scoop up the food.
- 🏒 STRONGEST STURDIEST WOODEN HANDLE AROUND - The wooden handle on our stainless-steel burger spatula is extremely strong! The easy, comfortable grip makes lifting baked goods off your oven tray a breeze. Plus, the material used is smooth and gentle to your hand, with an angled design for maximum control and ease in maneuvering.
- 🏒 BEST VALUE FOR MONEY - Get the greatest bang for your buck with a large turner spatula that combines affordable pricing with unmatched quality. Our heavy duty large baking spatula is backed by our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Have any questions about your order? Reach out to us and we’ll not let you go unsatisfied.
3. Best Spatula Set: Leonyo Griddle Spatula Set
Both spatulas in this set are made of stainless steel. The handles can come in either black or wood ABS plastic, both of which come with a hanging hole for convenient hanging. The plastic handles mean that these spatulas can be washed in the dishwasher.
These are inflexible spatulas, which is ideal for handling food on a grill as the blade isn’t flimsy.
Both of the spatulas are square-shaped and 11.5” in length (5.3” blade and 4.7” handle). One of the spatulas features holes to allow oil to drip through, which is ideal for handling oily and greasy foods.
The edges of both spatulas are beveled, which allows the user to easily scoop up food. The sharp edges also allow for easy cutting in the pan, skillet, or grill.
Leonyo is all about producing and selling the best tools for grilling purposes. As most grills are made of cast iron, the company knows how to make stainless steel products that won’t affect the surface of the grill.
Why this is the best spatula set?
What’s better than one spatula? Two, of course!
This set offers a standard spatula and another with holes to filter the oil out of greasy foods. Both spatulas offer beveled edges, inflexibility (therefore sturdiness), and an ABS plastic handle that makes the products ideal for washing in the dishwasher. This is a great product for cast iron pans, skillets, and grills.
Customers are impressed with the quality of both spatulas. Most have complimented the inflexibility of the products which allows for sturdiness, meaning no food will flop around the pan or into the grill. They are also impressed with the affordability of the products.
- Set of spatulas: Two spatulas in the same bundle, one with additional holes to filter through oil
- Sturdy: Inflexible design allows for extra control when handling food
- Ideal for grills: Made from a company that specializes in tools for grills
- Small: Blade is slightly smaller than other products on our list
- GREAT TURNER, Griddle turner set includes 1 x Solid Spatula and 1 x Slotted Spatula, 2 x hooks for hanging storage, perfect replacement or replenishment to your existing spatula accessories, basic starter try set for new grill lovers, fit as hamburger turner, grilling turner, pancake turner, kitchen spatula, pizza spatula
- HEAVY DUTY, Thickness of griddle spatula is up to 1.5mm, solid to provide stable performance, our triple-riveted handles are sturdier than the double-riveted from others, One-piece metal molding process ensures the service life of the product
- DISHWASHER SAFE, Smooth matt finishing makes cleaning a breeze by hand wash, ABS-Plastic handle is heat-proof and dishwasher safe, bonus hanging hooks are great for neatly arranging
- ERGONOMIC, Triple-rivets handle is more secure and strong, anti-slip handle fits properly to your hand shape, beveled edge help stir food more efficiently, 45°angle between handle and metal blade keep you from high temperature
- EASY CARE, High grade stainless steel is anti-rust and anti-impact, the metal turners are free of bending or breaking, great gift choice for Thanksgiving or Christmas, men, women, chef, husband, camping lovers, hibachi grill accessories perfect for outdoor or indoor use
4. Best Spatula for Scratch-Resistance: Tovolo Silicone Spatula
This is a silicone spatula with a long stainless steel handle. This has pros and cons for a cast iron surface. If you leave the spatula on the surface for too long, you risk potentially melting the silicone.
However, these spatulas are durable and don’t scratch a single surface. For the safety and longevity of your cast iron pan or skillet, this spatula will keep it protected.
This spatula is both flexible and inflexible. It’s not as hard or as sturdy as an inflexible stainless steel spatula, but the silicone is still surprisingly strong due to the nylon core. This means it can successfully handle and scoop all types of foods.
This is a square-shaped spatula with rounded corners. It isn’t as long as the other spatulas on this list, but it’s ideal for smaller foods such as eggs and vegetables. The spatula is also equipped with elongated holes to drain oil and grease.
The edges are not beveled on this spatula. While this means the spatula can’t easily cut food compared to beveled-edge spatulas, this won’t scratch the surface.
Tovolo is a company that focuses on healthy and enjoyable cooking. Their products range from spatulas to ice molds. Their key ethos is to make affordable and good-quality products that can be used by professionals and home kitchens alike.
Why this is the best spatula for scratch-resistance?
For those who are new to cast iron surfaces, or those who aren’t sure about using large stainless steel spatulas, a silicone spatula is a great addition to the kitchen.
It is nearly impossible for this product to scratch any surface, especially a cast iron one, which helps to protect the lifespan of the cast iron pan or skillet.
The one downside is that cast iron can retain heat for up to 15 minutes, which means that if the spatula is left on the surface for too long, it could lead to melting.
Despite this, the material is still heat-resistant and can withstand temperatures up to 600° F. For precautionary purposes, it’s best to avoid leaving it on a hot cast iron surface for long periods of time to ensure the longevity of the spatula.
Plus, it is completely dishwasher safe for easy cleaning!
Customers are impressed with this product and have found it to be a useful and favorite tool in their kitchen. People have complimented this product for its versatility, lightweight, and long lifespan of several years.
- Scratch-resistant: Silicone spatula won’t scratch a cast iron surface
- Dishwasher safe: Can be cleaned in a dishwasher without rusting
- Long-lasting: With good care, this spatula can last for several years
- Not as heat-resistant as stainless steel: Don’t leave this in a cast iron pan for too long without movement to prevent melting
- FLIP, TURN, AND SERVE: Slotted turner glides beneath food to move it from the pan to the serving dish or cooling rack. Slots drain grease or broth, leaving any drippings in the pan. Wide head supports sandwiches, pancakes, and eggs as you flip them
- STAINLESS STEEL HANDLE: Stainless steel adds style to your kitchen utensils. The metal handle is durable and visually striking. The handle allows for a comfortable grip, making this kitchen tool perfect for flipping, turning and transportation
- DURABLE SILICONE HEAD: The flexible, curved edge scrapes bowls clean while the nylon core creates rigidity for thick batters and doughs. The soft-touch silicone will not scratch cast iron or nonstick pans. Scratch- and stain-resistant silicone
- TAPERED EDGE SLIDES UNDER FOOD EASILY: Edge of turner is tapered to slide gracefully beneath eggs, pancakes, fish, grilled cheese, cookies, and more. Use this pancake flipper for all your stovetop cooking, baking, roasting, and more
- DIMENSIONS & CARE: 12.75" L X 3.5" W X 1.75" H; dishwasher safe. Heat-resistant up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit; made with BPA-free silicone
5. Best Sturdy Spatula: Homi Styles Spatula
This is a stainless steel spatula with a wooden handle. The wooden handle means that this spatula is not dishwasher safe, so it must be washed by hand to protect the quality of the product.
This is an inflexible spatula that provides limited flexibility, which means that it is ideal for handling foods such as steaks, burgers, and eggs without the food falling off the blade.
This is a square-shaped spatula that measures 11” long and 3” wide, which is a standard spatula size of this design.
The edges of this spatula are beveled to allow for easy scooping and slicing.
Homi Styles is an Amazon brand that specializes in kitchen tools, specifically a range of spatulas.
Why this is the best sturdy spatula?
Sometimes, flexible spatulas can be useful for handling lighter foods such as pancakes and eggs. Inflexible spatulas, however, provide much more control.
This spatula is very sturdy, which is ideal for handling foods such as burgers, steaks, eggs, and vegetables without the risk of flinging them around the pan or kitchen.
The wooden handle also provides extra control when handling and cutting foods.
Customers find this a great, bog-standard, all-rounder of a spatula. People have complimented the sturdiness of the spatula, specifically the handle that provides extra control and balance. A few customers have said they accidentally put the spatula in the dishwasher, which made the handle rough.
- Sturdy: Handle and inflexible blade provides sturdy and balanced experience
- Affordable: Compared to other stainless steel spatulas, this is an affordable purchase
- Sharp edges: Beveled edges are ideal for cutting food
- Cleaning: Not dishwasher safe and must be cleaned by hand
- 🍳 SMALL SPATULA PACKS A BIG PUNCH – Silicone spatulas and rubber spatulas have their time and place. When it’s time to get serious in the kitchen or at the grill turn to this 11-inch professional spatula. Made of 420J2 steel with wooden handle - measures 11 inches long by 3 inches wide.
- 🍳 DESIGNED FOR USE ON SERIOUS COOKWARE – Our tenacious kitchen spatula is intended to be used on cast iron skillets, griddles, flat top cooking surfaces, and grills. It’s made of stainless steel, so we do not recommend using it on non-stick cookware. Great for Pancake Flipper, Fish, Eggs, Burgers, Omelet & More.
- 🍳 EFFORTLESSLY SLIDE UNDERNEATH FOOD – If you’ve experienced the frustration of trying to seamlessly slide a spatula underneath food to flip it or take it out of the pan in one piece, then you’ll love the beveled edges on this small spatula. It gets underneath food with ease.
- 🍳 HEAT-RESISTANT, COMFORT-GRIP WOOD HANDLE – The heat-resistant, wooden handle measures 7 inches long and is angled, which ensures maximum comfort and control. It’s well balanced and ultra-strong. Can be hand washed Only
- 🍳 GREAT GIFT IDEA THAT WON'T GO UNUSED – Anyone that loves to cook, bake, or grill will love this griddle turner. It’s an excellent gift idea for a Birthday, Graduation, Anniversary, Holiday, Father’s Day, Wedding, Housewarming, and so much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Silicone has a much higher heat resistance than other plastic spatulas, which means that it can withstand the heat of cast iron surfaces. Just to be on the safe side, it’s not recommended to leave a silicone spatula on a hot cast iron surface for long periods without movement to prevent melting.
If you can use silicone cupcake molds in an oven, you can definitely use a silicone utensil on a cast iron pan, skillet, or grill.
The best thing about silicone is that it won’t work to scratch off any seasoning on a cast iron surface!
A common misconception about cast iron is that you can only use a certain utensil on the surface. The reality is that cast iron is incredibly hardy, and it will take a lot of abuse to damage the surface.
This means that you can use silicone, wooden, or stainless steel utensils, as they both can withstand the temperature of cast iron pans and skillets.