This pasta sauce is so versatile!! Not only does it taste DELICIOUS, but it goes well with just about everything! Perfect for pizzas, pasta and lasagna! Definitely something you want to try out for yourself!
We're all always looking for that perfect pasta sauce! Something that we can just learn by heart and it goes well with all types of meats and pasta as well as pizzas!!
If you've been looking for a recipe like that too, then look no more - because THIS IS IT!
This recipe is super simple and stores well for 3 days. We usually make this before the week starts and use it for different pasta recipes when our friends are over for dinner during the week. It is the Italian equivalent for the all-purpose Chinese sauce used in stir fries!
This is definitely a sauce recipe you'd want to learn by heart!
Hi everyone! Another day, another recipe ?. Today's recipe is super simple, and absolutely DELICIOUS! We've been getting quite a lot of emails lately asking for an all purpose pasta sauce - something that goes well with different types of meats - and well this recipe is all of that AND MORE!
So Arvin and I cannot wait for our first semester to end! Trust me, we're ready for some vacations. School has been keeping us more busy than we'd like. We just want the vacations to start so we can start making some major changes to the blog (new exciting things coming up soon!!).
For now, we're just adding more and more things to our planners and hoping we have enough time in our vacations to accomplish it all!
Coming back to this recipe, I absolutely love it!! It's not too tomato-y, neither is it spicy - the flavors just blend so well together. We love this sauce in lasagna or with penne pasta and some spicy, smoked, grilled chicken!
There are so many other pasta sauces that we really enjoy making - those will all be coming up soon in the posts! As soon as we start posting them, I'll add them all to the end of this post.
Chef Tips ?
- Use fresh Roma tomatoes if you can get your hands on them. Blanche them in hot water for a few seconds and then pop them in ice cold water - the skin will just slide off. Next, chop them up and blend into a puree. This is SO much better than the store bought canned puree most of us are so accustomed too nowadays.
- Basil goes really well with tomatoes and gives an authentic Italian flavor - especially if you have Roma tomatoes!
- A bit of thyme and rosemary to the sauce helps with the aroma and flavor when you're adding meat to the pasta - it really makes a huge difference!
- You can make this recipe spicier by adding red chili flakes to it - add about 1 tbsp for a delicious spicy flavor!
So here's the recipe!
- 5 medium Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 - 6 fresh basil leaves
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dry thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes (optional - see notes)
- Start off by adding the Roma tomatoes and basil into a blender. Blend into a smooth puree, and set aside.
- In saucepan on medium heat, add in olive oil and let it heat up for 10 seconds. Add in the white onions and sweat them for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Now add in the tomato puree prepared earlier.
- Add in all the spices and red wine vinegar, and mix well.
- Add water and let the sauce cook on low heat for 10 minutes, till the consistency becomes thicker.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Use with pasta, pizza, lasagna etc.
1. Use fresh Roma tomatoes if you can get your hands on them. Blanche them in hot water for a few seconds and then pop them in ice cold water - the skin will just slide off. Next, chop them up and blend into a puree. This is SO much better than the store bought canned puree most of us are so accustomed too nowadays.
2. Fresh basil goes really well with tomatoes and gives an authentic Italian flavor - especially if you have Roma tomatoes!
3. A bit of thyme and rosemary to the sauce helps with the aroma and flavor when you're adding meat to the pasta - it really makes a huge difference!
4. You can make this recipe spicier by adding red chili flakes to it - add about 1 tbsp for a delicious spicy flavor!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Liked this recipe? Want to know more on how to use this? Check out our Quick and Easy Spaghetti Bolognese recipe that uses this All Purpose Pasta Sauce!! If there is one recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese that you need to know, this is it! You'll be surprised how an easy recipe like this one can make such a delicious pasta! PLUS it shows just how great this delicious sauce is! Truly multi purpose!