I am a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich. Seriously, it’s my favorite comfort food of all time. So, why not turn a classic into this creamy grilled chicken and cheese sandwich? The addition of chicken makes it more satisfying, and this unique creamy cheese mixture really makes it feel gourmet. While it’s no basic sandwich, it is definitely one you’ll come back to time and again.
Grilled Chicken and Cheese Sandwich
Over the years, I’ve had thousands of grilled cheese sandwiches. The classic with American cheese and toasty bread is always on the menu, but sometimes, I want a little something more. I’m known to add chicken to dishes to really amp up the protein, but to also make something simple more satisfying. With a teen son in the house, it’s a must for every meal to be satisfying and keep him full.
After a few trial and error attempts, I came up with a shredded chicken and cheese combination that I really enjoyed, but I wanted to make it just a bit more gourmet. This recipe was inspired by others, but the combination of creamy sauce and cheese makes it a mouthwatering delicious choice for any meal.
What Bread is Best for a Grilled Sandwich?
The bread you use for your grilled sandwich is as unique as you are as an individual. For this particular version, I used a bit of sprouted grain bread, but I typically reach for a nice Texas toast, French bread, or a classic white bread. Yes, that old school package of Wonder bread is still a favorite when comfort food is on the menu.
The type of bread you choose depends upon your preferences as well as the topping. For this mixture, you definitely want a bit heartier bread. A thick slice of bread is a must, but pick your flavor to make it your own. Below are a few great ideas to choose from when making your sandwich.
- Whole grain bread
- Oat bread
- Potato bread
- Sourdough bread
- Rye bread
- Pumpernickle bread
- Garlic cheese bread
- Dill bread
- French bread
- English muffins
- Texas toast
What Cheeses Can I Use in This Sandwich?
For the chicken mixture, I combine cream cheese and blue cheese with other creamy items and spices. I find this particular combination has a great texture, but also a nice bit of flavor. The cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream give that creaminess, but the blue cheese really bumps it up with a bit of extra flavor.
Since I like to add a slice of cheese on top of this chicken mixture, I typically will recommend a nice mild cheese like a sliced American, provolone, or mild cheddar. You can use any sliced cheese you like, or skip this step and just grilled the chicken mixture on your favorite bread.
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne powder
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Blue cheese
- Sliced American or Cheddar cheese
How to Make a Grilled Chicken and Cheese Sandwich
In a large bowl, combine the already cooked and shredded chicken with garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese and blue cheese.
Spread the cheese mixture onto one slice of bread and then spread the chicken mixture onto the other slice of bread.
Combine the two sides, and then spread additional mayonnaise over the outside of the bread and place it into a grill pan.
Grill each side for 2 minutes over medium heat.
Slice and serve with your favorite sides.
What Goes with Grilled Chicken and Cheese?
Growing up, the number one thing I had with a grilled cheese was tomato soup and pickles. This recipe is different enough that I find you should have a little something different as a side. Of course, you can pick up potato chips or tortilla chips and salsa, but I like a nice fresh element on the side when possible. Below are a few of my favorites.
- Cold Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Fresh Fruit Salad with Mango, Kiwi, and Raspberry
- Beetroot and Feta Salad Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot sauce (Tobasco or Frank's Red)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus additional for coating bread
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 4 slices American or mild cheddar cheese
- Combine the chicken, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and sour cream together in a large bowl;
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese and crumbled blue cheese;
- Divide the mixtures into 4 servings, and then spread the cheese mixture on one side of a piece of bread, and the chicken mixture onto the other slice of bread;
- Sandwich the bread together and coat the outside lightly with mayonnaise, then place onto the grill pan;
- Grill for 2 minutes on each side;
- Serve with your favorite sides.
Choose different cheeses to suit your preferences and what is available in your area.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Professional Spatula Set - Stainless Steel Pancake Turner and Griddle Scraper 4x8 inch Oversized Hamburger Turner Great for Griddle BBQ Grill and Flat Top Cooking - Commercial Quality
- OSTBA Sandwich Maker, Toaster and Electric Panini Press with Non-stick plates, LED Indicator Lights, Cool Touch Handle, Black
- Hamilton Beach Electric Panini Press Grill with Locking Lid, Opens 180 Degrees for any Sandwich Thickness (25460A) Nonstick 8" X 10" Grids Chrome Finish,Medium
- Ross Henery Professional 9 Piece Chef Knife Set, Japanese Style Kitchen Knives Includes Sharpening Steel in Canvas Carry Case
- Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan, 10.5 inch, Black
- George Foreman 5-Serving Removable Plate Electric Indoor Grill and Panini Press, Red, GRP0004R
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 836mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g