Need a fun and easy breakfast idea that kids will love? Check out this super easy banana pancake dippers recipe! This is one of those semi-homemade recipes that are ideal for weekends when you want to make homemade but don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The combination of bananas and traditional pancake mix creates a fun little bite-sized breakfast that kids and adults alike will enjoy.
Banana Pancake Dippers Recipe
Nothing beats a pancake unless it's a flavored one! In this recipe, you take slices of bananas and coat them in pancake mix for a new "fried" banana idea. It's a great snack, easy breakfast, and definitely a fun way to add fruit to your menu. While it takes a few minutes to prepare, it is still a fast and easy recipe that is ideal for busy families.
If traditional is more your style, then you will love my classic flapjack recipe, fast and fluffy American pancakes, or even this easy Belgian waffle recipe. All are delicious and ideal for breakfast or brunch when something more traditional is needed.
Can I Make These Gluten-Free?
If you want or need this to be a gluten-free recipe, you can definitely do so. Rather than using an ordinary pancake mix, you can use a favorite gluten-free boxed mix. You can also follow this recipe for gluten-free banana pancakes that are super popular and easy to make as an alternative.
While the batter already has pancakes in it, you can still use it for this recipe if you want. There is nothing wrong with more banana in every bite! In fact, it's one thing I always like is to add chopped pieces to that recipe so it has more flavor and texture.
Can These Be Made with Different Fruits?
This is rather tricky. Since you are dipping banana slices into the batter then cooking, it's a flat surface that will evenly cook. Different fruits would be more difficult to do this process with simply because of their shape. That said, it is not impossible. You just need to prepare things a little differently.
- Slice strawberries into ¼"-½" slices before dipping into batter.
- If using apple slices or rings, microwave them for 30-45 seconds prior to dipping to soften the apples so they are softer to eat.
- Pat pear slices off slightly to dry so they don't add too much liquid to the batter.
- If using canned pineapple rings, drain and pat dry before dipping into the batter.
As you can see, it's not impossible, just not as easy to do, and probably not recommended if you are working on this with limited time on hand.
What Should I Dip Pancakes Into?
Since these are small and perfect for dipping, you definitely need fun things to dip them into! Of course, the syrup is the obvious choice, but there are other ideas that kids will love seeing on the table when you make a batch of these.
- Maple syrup, pancake syrup, honey, corn syrup, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, caramel syrup, or butterscotch syrup.
- Peanut butter, almond butter, cookie butter, or Nutella heated to thin slightly for dipping.
- Whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Bowls of candy pieces or sprinkles to dip into after coating in syrup or other items.
Can I Add MixIns to the Pancake Batter First?
Maybe you want banana chocolate or some banana walnut dippers? If that's the case, you can definitely add mixins. When doing so, make sure they are chopped very small so they will mix into the batter without being overwhelming to the banana slices.
Some ideas are to use walnuts or pecans that have been chopped or miniature chocolate chips. Alternately, you can dip the pancakes, then once on the griddle, add a sprinkle of these items on top before flipping to cook on the second side. My kids especially love when I add colored sugars or sprinkles in the shape of a face on them when cooking.
- Pancake mix
- Vanilla extract
Handy Kitchen Tools
These tools make preparing your banana pancake dippers easier. While it's not necessary to have these for this recipe, we recommend investing in these supplies if you are planning to cook this on a regular basis.
How to Make Banana Pancake Dippers
In a large bowl, prepare pancake mix according to package directions.
Add vanilla extract to the batter and mix well.
Heat a griddle or large skillet and then add butter to coat.
Slice bananas into circles or at a diagonal.
Sip each slice of banana into the pancake batter to coat, then place it onto the griddle.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbling on top, then flip.
Cook an additional 1-2 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
Serve as desired with syrup or different dips as mentioned above.
More Delicious Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast is the best part of the day in our house and because we love it so much we have tons of delicious recipes to share with you! Whether you want a sweet or savory breakfast, below are some excellent choices to add to your morning menu.
- Cinnamon French Toast Bread Pudding with Glaze
- How to Make the Best Oven Baked Bacon
- Burst Tomato Frittata with Fontina and Basil Oil
- Brown Sugar Walnut Banana Bread
- How to Make the Perfect Crepes Every Time
- Prepared pancake mix for 4 people
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, prepare pancake mix according to package directions.
- Add vanilla extract to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet and then add butter to coat.
- Slice bananas into circles or at a diagonal.
- Sip each slice of banana into the pancake batter to coat, then place it onto the griddle.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbling on top, then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve as desired with syrup or different dips as mentioned above.
These can be made ahead of time and frozen to reheat as desired for a fast breakfast.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Utopia Kitchen 12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast iron Skillet - Frying Pan - Safe Grill Cookware for indoor & Outdoor Use - Cast Iron Pan
Butternut Mountain Farm Pure Vermont Maple Syrup, Grade A, Amber Color, Rich Taste, All Natural, Easy Pour Jug, 32 Fl Oz, 1 Qt
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Delling Ultra-Strong 3 Oz Ceramic Dip Bowls Set, White Dipping Sauce Bowls/Dishes for Tomato Sauce, Soy, BBQ and other Party Dinner - Set of 6
OXO Good Grips Silicone Flexible Pancake Turner
Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle With Removable Handles, Black, 22-inch
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 6g