What's better than a cool, creamy dessert on a hot summer day? Frozen chocolate banana nice cream! All you need is bananas, vanilla, dark chocolate, and milk. Blend it up in your food processor or blender for the perfect refreshing treat that even kids will love. Give this recipe a try today - I promise it won't disappoint!
Chocolate Banana "Nice Cream"
Whether you want something healthier as a treat, or you just like the flavor of bananas and chocolate together, this is going to become a favorite treat. Frozen desserts are some of my favorites since they are so refreshing and great for those hot months, and this one is ideal because it also manages to be totally guilt-free!
If you really like the chocolate part of this recipe, then you might enjoy a cold treat that isn't ice cream but loaded with chocolate like this easy chocolate mousse recipe.
What is Nice Cream?
Nice cream is made from fresh or frozen fruit blended alone or with a small amount of milk then frozen. Some recipes include just frozen bananas or berries, while others like this one have a little bit of milk for creaminess.
The benefits of this versus traditional ice cream are mostly in the lower calories and higher nutrition, but they can also be great just because of the convenience. It can easily be made 100% dairy-free or vegan, or as shown with just enough milk to create a light creamy texture.
It's easy to make this healthy ice cream at home in your blender! You don't need an ice cream maker to enjoy this frozen treat. If you don't have a blender or food processor, you can mash the bananas with a fork until they are the creamy texture and consistency that you prefer.
Is Nice Cream healthy?
It depends on what you put into the treat, but generally speaking, a healthy banana nice cream is low-fat and low calorie while still being full of fiber, potassium, and other vitamins. You can also make the recipe vegan by substituting chocolate chips for dark cocoa powder.
Bananas are nutrient-dense food, meaning they're full of vitamins and minerals like potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. Bananas are high in antioxidants and make a great addition to any menu.So for those watching their weight, this is a great alternative to ice cream and other sweet treat options.
Is Nice Cream Vegan?
This particular recipe is not vegan as it does include milk. Dark chocolate can be vegan, but not all varieties are, so it is important to make sure you are getting certified vegan chocolate for yours if that is a dietary need. You can easily substitute the milk in this recipe with any non-dairy vegan-friendly option you prefer.
If you need another vegan option, make sure to check out these vegan chocolate peanut butter balls. They are super easy to make, no-bake, and seriously delicious!
How to Freeze Bananas
This recipe doesn't require that you freeze the bananas ahead of time, but if you'd prefer to you can do that. It does cut down on time between making this and serving time. If you get bananas often and want to keep a few in the freezer for recipes like this there are three methods to consider.
(1) Place banans in peels into freezer bags and just peel when ready to use. This works okay, but can be difficult to work with and hard to peel. It also makes it harder to get the bananas into small pieces.
(2) Peel the bananas and slice them into chunks or rounds and place them into a freezer storage bag. You can do this as well by portioning just one banana per small baggie so you have easy portion control.
(3) Slice peeled bananas into rounds and place them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and freeze for 2 to 3 hours until hardened. Then pop them into a freezer bag for easy access to a few at a time without the slices sticking to each other.
Whatever method you use, make sure you label and date the storage bags or containers. Fresh frozen fruit is good for up to 6 months in the freezer when stored properly.
Variations for Serving
Since this is such a versatile frozen treat, you can serve it in many different ways. From just alone in a bowl to use as a layer in a frozen cake to making banana ice cream sandwiches. The possibilities are endless. Below are some more ideas for different flavors that would work great alongside this recipe for more texture and unique flavor.
- Chocolate chips and a drizzle of chocolate sauce
- Crushed nuts and a touch of cinnamon
- Chopped fruit like strawberries or mangoes with honey
- Coconut flakes and chopped macadamia nuts
- Almond butter and cacao nibs
What is Nice Cream Made Of?
While there are a number of options out there for something that qualifies as nice cream, this recipe in particular is simple.
- Dark chocolate chunks
- Vanilla extract
Kitchen Tools Needed
- Blender or food processor
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Freezer container with lid
- Ice cream scoop
How To Make Frozen Banana Ice Cream In Your Blender:
Peel bananas and slice them into rounds.
Place the bananas into a food processor or blender.
Add in the milk and vanilla extract.
Pulse until mostly smooth.
Add in the dark chocolate chunks.
Pulse until smooth.
Pour into a freezer container and cover with a lid or tightly sealed plastic wrap.
Freezer for 1 to 2 hours until mostly solid before serving.
Serve alone or topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, or additional banana slices and chocolate chunks.
Can I Make This with Frozen Bananas Instead?
Yes. If using frozen bananas you may not need to freeze the mixture at all before serving. Simply blend in the food processor and then scoop into a bowl to serve.
Tips for Storing to Serve Later
Keep the leftover mixture in a freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid or a layer of plastic wrap over the top. While it has been said you can freeze for 3 to 4 months, I find it best when served within 3 to 4 days of making the mixture. After that point, it tends to have freezer burn issues and slight changes in both texture and flavor.
More Banana Dessert Recipes
Have more bananas but want something different? Check out some of our favorite banana dessert recipes below. Delicious ways to add a favorite fruit to your menu!
- Delicious Banana Pudding Cheesecake Recipe
- Southern Style Baked Banana Pudding
- The Best Banana Bread Blondies with Dark Chocolate
- The Perfect Banana Bread Recipe
- Moist Cheesecake Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks (80 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
- ½ cup milk (118 ml)
- Peel bananas and slice them into rounds.
- Place the bananas into a food processor or blender.
- Add in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Pulse until mostly smooth.
- Add in the dark chocolate chunks.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer container and cover with a lid or tightly sealed plastic wrap.
- Freezer for 1 to 2 hours until mostly solid before serving.
- Serve alone or topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, or additional banana slices and chocolate chunks.
For a creamier texture, replace the milk with heavy whipping cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Classic Ice Cream Scoop
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 11 Piece. Includes 10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set and 1 Plastic Measuring Cup. Liquid Measuring Cups Set and Dry Metal Measuring Cup Set
Ninja BN601 Professional Plus Food Processor 1000-Peak-Watts with Auto-iQ Preset Programs Chop Puree Dough Slice Shred with a 9-Cup Capacity and a Silver Stainless Finish
Ninja Professional 72 Oz Countertop Blender with 1000-Watt Base and Total Crushing Technology for Smoothies, Ice and Frozen Fruit (BL610), Black
BALCI - Premium Ice Cream Containers (2 Pack - 1 Quart Each) Perfect Freezer Storage Tubs with Lids for Ice Cream, Sorbet and Gelato! - Purple
Set of 2 Premium Ice Cream Containers For Homemade Ice Cream 1.6 Quart Ea. - Perfect for Makers, Sorbet, Frozen Yogurt And Gelato - Stackable Containers w/Lids And Stickers Stores Easily In Freezer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g