Cookies are a favorite treat, but sometimes you just need a faster option. These strawberry cake mix cookies are a perfect solution for an easier semi-homemade option that is super easy to make and always a hit. I love the strawberry flavor and dipping these in chocolate and sprinkles kicks them up just a bit to make them an even more special treat you’ll love!
Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
Cake mixes are great to keep on hand for little fast treats. Just because I love making food from scratch doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate a trick to save time. This recipe is so delicious and easy to make, you’ll add it to your dessert menu regularly. Kids love the soft cookie, and since they are pink and white, they make a perfect Valentine’s Day treat idea that is perfect for making in larger quantities for sharing.
What Cake Mix is Best for Cookies?
There is no cake mix brand that is better than another for this. I do tend to reach for Betty Crocker branded cake mixes because they are good and easy to find, but a generic strawberry cake mix works just fine. If you want a little bit more moist cookie, the Betty Crocker mix often has an added pudding mix in the mix that really ups the flavor and moisture. That’s a great choice for this cookie, but again not necessary at all.
What Can I Add to These Cookies?
If you want to update the cookie for a little bit more texture, you can add mix-ins easily. I love the look of sprinkles in this for a “funfetti” style of cookie, but you can add other items if you prefer. Below are some of my favorite mix-ins to the strawberry cookie dough.
- Chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds
- Miniature chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips
- Sprinkles or miniature candy pieces
- Crushed OREO cookies or similar cookie crumbles
If adding something to this mix, I recommend using 1/4-1/2 cup of the addition. Start with less and see how it mixes into the dough before adding larger amounts. It won’t change the baking time or process, but you’ll want to make sure you don’t add too much to this dough.
What Chocolate is Best for Dipping Cookies?
When dipping any candy or cookie, I like to reach for the candy melts or almond bark instead of traditional chocolate. It melts more smoothly and doesn’t require any additional oil to create a smoothness that looks best for dipping.
Ghiradelli makes quality melting chocolate that is ideal for this, but you may also find the Wilton candy melts are popular and easy to find at your local grocery store. When in doubt, I look at craft stores in the wedding decor and cake decorating areas. They often have a larger variety of colors of melting candy wafers.
Do I Have to Refrigerate These Cake Mix Cookies?
You do not have to refrigerate these cookies. If you, however, want them to last longer, an airtight container in the refrigerator makes them last at least a week were sitting on the counter at room temperature they are best within 3-4 days.
You can freeze these cookies for longer storage if desired. Just place in a storage bag or container, label, date, and freeze for up to 4 months for a tasty snack that is easy to make!
- Strawberry cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Vanilla melting chocolate
How to Make Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper then set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract until a smooth but sticky dough forms.
If wanted, mix in 1/4 cup sprinkles or candy pieces at this point.
Scoop the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheets leaving 1″ to 1 1/2″ inches between each cookie being careful not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes until the edges are golden.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
When the cookies are completely cool, melt the candy coating or melting chocolate in 30-second increments until just melted and smooth.
Add coconut oil to the chocolate if not using melting wafers.
Dip one half the cookie into the chocolate and then place on the parchment paper.
Top with sprinkles and let harden for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Store cookies in an airtight container until ready to share.
More Cookie Recipes
Cookies are always a hit in our house. In fact, with a teenage boy in the house, I can’t seem to keep them on hand. Below are some more of my favorite cookie recipes that are easy, delicious, and always a hit with him. Whip up a batch or two of your favorites and keep your cookie jar filled at all times!
- Classic Coconut Macaroons Cookie Recipe
- Perfectly Soft Cookies and Cream Cookies Recipe
- Soft Italian Cookies Recipe
- Best Ever Cream Cheese Cookies with Funfetti Topping
- Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- The Best Sugar Cookies with Homemade Glaze
- Copycat Subway White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies Recipe
If you like adding sprinkles to your cookies, cakes, or cupcakes, I have to share some of my favorite places to get them. I have a rather large collection, and rather than keeping a ton on hand, I like to buy small bags of sprinkles from reputable sellers on Etsy. A few of my favorite options for a Valentine’s Day cookie would be the Unicorn Lovers Sprinkle Mix, Teenage Dream Sprinkle Mix, Valentine’s Day Sprinkle Mix, and the Rose Gold Sprinkle Blend. There are tons of options out there that are beautiful and edible.
- 1 strawberry cake mix, dry mix only
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
For Dipping Cookies
- 1/2 cup vanilla melting chocolate
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract until a smooth but sticky dough forms.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheets leaving 1" to 1 1/2" inches between each cookie being careful not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- When the cookies are completely cool, melt the candy coating or melting chocolate in 30-second increments until just melted and smooth.
- Add coconut oil to the chocolate if not using melting wafers.
- Dip one half the cookie into the chocolate and then place on the parchment paper.
- Top with sprinkles and let harden for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Store cookies in an airtight container until ready to share.
Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature or 7 days in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
PRE ORDER Yo-da one for me Valentine's Day cookie set | Etsy
Pattern for Felt Valentine Cookie Ornaments Conversation | Etsy
Valentine's Day Sugar Cookie Gift / party favor / heart | Etsy
Valentine's Heart Lace Sugar Cookies Set of Six | Etsy
Valentine's Cupcake Cookies | Etsy
Valentine Heart Cookie Assortment 6 Decorated Shortbread | Etsy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g