There's no need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen when you're craving dessert. This strawberry icebox cake is made with only three ingredients, and it can be whipped up in minutes! It would make the perfect dessert for summer if you don't want to turn on your oven or spend too much time baking. Plus, there are so many ways to customize this recipe based on what you have handy at home.
Strawberry Ice Box Cake
This strawberry icebox cake is the perfect creamy dessert idea. If you're craving something easy that will satisfy any sweet tooth without taking too long in the kitchen, then try out this yummy cold treat. It's fast and easy to make, perfect for kids to help with, and is ideal for potlucks or weekend barbecues with friends.
You probably already know how good strawberries taste as they melt into cream cheese frosting when baked together--but these delicious little cakes take things one step further by serving them up with whipped topping instead of icing! The result is creamy, cool, and refreshing--perfect for a warm day.
Variations for Strawberry Icebox Cake
If you want to mix it up just a bit for the next time you serve this dessert, it's super easy to adjust to fit your needs. Below are some ideas that sound great!
- Top with different fruits such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, bananas, or just extra strawberries.
- Add fresh mint to each serving for a highlighted fresh flavor.
- Mix in the zest of 1 lemon with the whipped cream before spreading into the dish.
- Add finely chopped chocolate between layers or into the whipped cream for an amazing chocolate-covered strawberry flavor making it a perfect dessert.
Use your imagination and add different flavors to amp up the flavor just a bit each time you make the recipe to share. Of course, if you have an abundance of strawberries this season, you may also want to try them out with other recipes. Some of my favorites include this strawberry lemonade cheesecake bar or these delicious strawberry crumb dessert bars. You can't go wrong with a simple no-bake strawberry cheesecake dessert too!
Can I Use Something Other Than Graham Crackers?
Absolutely! You can use any type of cookie you like such as chocolate, vanilla wafers, shortbread cookies, or even ginger snaps. Cinnamon graham crackers would be delicious with bananas instead of strawberries.
Chocolate lovers will want to try chocolate graham crackers with chocolate chips on top and a drizzle of chocolate syrup over the cream topping! You really can't go wrong making your favorite dessert with almost any cookie layer and delicious filling.
How Long Does This Take to Be Ready to Eat?
While the preparation of the cake takes just a few minutes, you will want to chill for around 2 to 3 hours before serving. So, you can easily prepare this and be serving it within 2 hours if needed.
What Do You Need to Make Strawberry Icebox Cake?
One of the best parts about this recipe is you only need 3 to 5 ingredients. You'll only need 3 if you purchase a stabilized whipped topping such as Cool Whip or up to 5 if you make your own homemade whipped cream.
- Whipped cream
- Graham crackers
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Berry slicer
- Paring knife
- Handheld mixer
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- Offset spatula
- Silicone spatula
How to Make Strawberry Icebox Cake
Prepare the strawberries by first rinsing them, then trim the green stems off and cut them into thin slices, and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat the cream mixture for 6 to 8 minutes until stiff peaks form. Set this aside while you prepare your pan.
Cover the bottom of the dish with plastic wrap, foil, or parchment paper. This makes it easy to lift out the cake to slice and serve.
Spread a small layer, ¼ of the batch, of whipped cream onto the dish.
Place a single layer of Graham crackers onto the layer of whipped cream covering all corners and edges. Break up the cookies if needed.
Next, start layering by adding ½ the remaining whipped cream on top of the crackers.Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream layer evenly.
Then, add a layer of sliced strawberries over the whipped cream covering it completely.
Repeat this process with cookies, whipped cream, then strawberries 2 to 3 times until all have been used. Add any additional dollops of whipped cream on top with whole strawberries and mint as garnish.
Cover loosely and then pace the no-bake strawberry cake in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
Remove from the pan using the plastic wrap, then cut into squares and serve with additional berries.
How Do I Store My Strawberry Icebox Cake?
If serving the same day, you will want to keep chilled and covered in the refrigerator. Use plastic wrap or a lid fitting the dish used to keep it fresh.
The cake is best eaten within the first 24 hours, but it can be stored for up to 3-days before serving. Any longer than 3 days and you will find that the whipped cream separates and deflates as well as the moisture in the berries can make the mixture watery.
Can This Be Made in Advance to Freeze?
Yes, if you want to make this dessert recipe a few days in advance, simply pop the whole pan into the freezer in a freezer-safe pan covered in plastic wrap, then foil. Make sure you don't add toppings if you plan to freeze the strawberry dessert.
When you're ready to serve your refrigerator cake, remove the cake from the freezer, let the cake thaw for 4 hours to overnight in the refrigerator then top with additional berries or whipped cream.
More No-Bake Dessert Ideas
Need more fresh and easy ideas to add to your next potluck meal? Check out these tasty no-bake ideas below. We are sure you will love these as much as we do!
- Easy No-Bake Banana Pudding Recipe
- The Best No-Bake OREO Cheesecake Recipe
- Easy Traditional Tiramisu Recipe
- The Best Ever Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream (360 ml)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (25 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped strawberries (500 g)
- 24 Graham crackers
- Prepare the strawberries by first rinsing them, then trim the green stems off and cut them into thin slices, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat the cream mixture for 6 to 8 minutes until stiff peaks form. Set this aside while you prepare your pan.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with plastic wrap, foil, or parchment paper. This makes it easy to lift out the cake to slice and serve.
- Spread a small layer, ¼ of the batch, of whipped cream onto the dish.
- Place a single layer of Graham crackers onto the layer of whipped cream covering all corners and edges. Break up the cookies if needed.
- Next, start layering by adding ½ the remaining whipped cream on top of the crackers. Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream layer evenly.
- Then, add a layer of sliced strawberries over the whipped cream covering it completely.
- Repeat this process with cookies, whipped cream, then strawberries 2 to 3 times until all have been used. Add any additional dollops of whipped cream on top with whole strawberries and mint as garnish.
- Cover loosely and then pace the no-bake strawberry cake in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from the pan using the plastic wrap, then cut into squares and serve with additional berries.
Substitute vanilla wafers, cinnamon Graham crackers, or digestive biscuits in place of Graham crackers if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula Set - Non-Stick Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils for Cooking, Baking, and Mixing - Ergonomic, Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
8-Piece Deep Glass Baking Dish Set with Plastic lids,Rectangular Glass Bakeware Set with BPA Free Lids, Baking Pans for Lasagna, Leftovers, Cooking, Kitchen, Freezer-to-Oven and Dishwasher, Gray
Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer, Beaters and Whisk, with Snap-On Storage Case, White
Colander Set - 2 Collapsible Colanders (Strainers) Set By Comfify - Includes 2 Folding Strainers Sizes 8" - 2 Quart and 9.5" - 3 Quart Red and Grey
YIHONG 6 Pcs Plastic Mixing Bowls Set, Colorful Serving Bowls for Kitchen, Ideal for Baking, Prepping, Cooking and Serving Food, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Rainbow
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g
This no-bake strawberry icebox cake is easy to make and the perfect complement to any dinner. Using just a couple of ingredients you probably already have, you can whip up this dessert in just minutes!
It’s so simple that it will become your go-to dessert for potlucks or family gatherings with ease. The best part? You don't need an oven and only one bowl needed for mixing! Make sure to save this recipe because it's going to become a favorite for potlucks and family gatherings.