If you’ve ever tried Kimchi before, I’m sure you absolutely LOVE IT! And if you do, this sandwich is the one for you! With simple yet exciting flavors, this will be your new favorite sandwich!
KIMCHI. One of my most favorite things in Korean cuisine. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like it (I wouldn’t want to either). It’s spicy, healthy and the perfect condiment to any delicious dinner meal. So why not make it the star of the meal?!
Arvin and I absolutely love fusing Asian and Western cooking styles – and I feel this one is our ultimate favorite currently!! Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
Hi again guys!! These past couple of days have been so hectic for us again. If you’ve been following our blog, you might remember me telling you how Arvin and I have entered into the last month of our first semester studying photography and film-making! (YAY!).
I’ve actually personally been doing freelance photography since 2010. Photography has always been my escape – even when I was studying Marketing back home (I’m a Marketing graduates for those who don’t know). Portraits were always my thing – there’s something about capturing emotions that intrigues me. And so candid photography was something I used to always want to do.
But then, there was always the love for food – since as long as I can remember. When I was around 7, my mom really got into baking – she taught herself how to bake just about everything. So some of my earliest memories have been of waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread some days, and cakes, cookies and pies some other days. So I started helping out my mom when I was around that age – and took on baking things all by myself when I was around 11. I still remember how whenever my mom would make soups as home, I’d be the one baking scones and bread sticks to go along with it.
And even before these memories I have memories of being 3, sitting on the kitchen counter, with a bowl in my hand, and random spices and veggies that my mom would put into them for me – all while I was pretending to make the yummiest curry ever! Haha!
So it didn’t come as a surprise to many people who knew me, when I told them all in my last semester in undergrad that I was going to join a culinary school after graduation. And then that was where I met Arvin. (That’s a whole story in itself – for some other day!). But you know what? His story is quite similar to mine! I’ll make sure to get him to write down his journey on the blog soon!This Kimchi Sandwich with simple yet exciting flavors, is bound to be your next favorite!Click To Tweet
So yes, let’s talk about this delicious recipe! I’ve always been amazed by the whole concept of Kimchi – from the history, to the way it’s made, to the whole culture that surrounds it! It really is quite fascinating! So recently, I finally started looking more into it and on how I could use it in my everyday cooking – because really this thing in A-A-AMAZING! This recipe is super simple, and so are the instructions and tips on how to make it. Follow along and you will be just fine! Buzz me in the comments if you have any questions!
Chef Tips 💡
- We used kimchi and finely chopped cabbage on a 1:1 basis for this recipe. It adds to the crunch and dilutes the kimchi flavor just enough so that you can put a whole bunch in each sandwich!
- Try and get a hold of Korean Chili Powder (Gochugaru). This chili powder tastes drastically different than the regular one we are all used to, or other ones such as thai chili powder. It’s slightly milder and has a coarser texture – it’s almost a combination of chili flakes and chili powder in texture. It cannot be substituted with other types of chili powders. You can order it on Amazon or get it at your local Korean/Asian grocery store.
- We’ve kept the flavors of the chicken simple so that the Kimchi shines in this recipe. But feel free to add more of your favorite spices to it for an added kick.
So here’s the recipe!
- 8 sandwich bread slices
- 1 cup kimchi, shredded
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 pound chicken fillet, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Korean red chili powder (Gochugaru)
- dash of lime
- 4 tbsp mayonaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Korean red chili powder (Gochugaru)
- Start off by marinating the chicken with the mentioned spices. Grill on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, flipping over once, till it's cooked through
- Mix together shredded kimchi and shredded cabbage. Set aside.
- Mix ingredients for sauce together and set aside.
- Star assembling the sandwich by adding the kimchi-cabbage mixture, grilled chicken, and sauce between two sandwich breads.
- Grill the sandwich for 1 minute on each side.
- Serve hot.
2. Try and get a hold of Korean Chili Powder (Gochugaru). This chili powder tastes drastically different than the regular one we are all used to, or other ones such as thai chili powder. It's slightly milder and has a coarser texture - it's almost a combination of chili flakes and chili powder in texture. It cannot be substituted with other types of chili powders. You can order it on Amazon or get it at your local Korean/Asian grocery store.
3. We've kept the flavors of the chicken simple so that the Kimchi shines in this recipe. But feel free to add more of your favorite spices to it for an added kick.
Loved this sandwich recipe? Then you’ll absolutely LOVE our Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Garlic Parmesan Crust! This sandwich is going to quickly become your absolute favorite! It is definitely the most perfect cheesy-garlic combination plus the topping is so versatile!! SUPER easy to make and the kids are going to love this!