Do you love mushrooms? If so, this super easy-baked parmesan mushroom appetizer is going to be a huge hit. Only a few ingredients to add flavor and about 15 minutes in the oven, and you have a crispy mushroom snack that is ideal as a side dish, appetizer, or snack.
- Baked Parmesan Mushrooms
- What's the Best Mushroom For This?
- What Do I Serve with Parmesan Mushrooms Appetizer?
- How do I Get My Mushrooms Crispy Without Burning Them?
- What Herbs are in Herbs de Provence?
- Handy Kitchen Tools
- How to Make Baked Mushrooms
- Can I Make These Ahead to Reheat When Serving?
- How Long are Baked Mushrooms Good?
- More Easy Appetizers
- Crispy Baked Parmesan Mushroom Bites Recipe
Baked Parmesan Mushrooms
The classic flavors of parmesan, breadcrumbs, and Herbs de Provence combine into a tasty coating around your favorite mushrooms. While this is often a recipe that is deep-fried, this version takes that extra fat out of the equation.
Not only is this healthier than fried versions, but it is also easier to assemble, and makes far less mess. What's not to love about that? And if you have extra mushrooms after making these, just toss them into this vegetarian mushroom stroganoff, or add them to this roasted garlic and mushroom flatbread.
What's the Best Mushroom For This?
While you can do this with just about any mushroom, the best options are those that are sturdy and offer a simple surface for coating. So, you could do this with whatever you prefer, but options like oyster mushrooms just wouldn't turn out as well.
The best options are those that need more elevated flavor such as cremini, button, or baby Bella. The basic white mushroom is what I would suggest and find stays firm enough when baked to not get soggy and prevent it from staying crispy.
What Do I Serve with Parmesan Mushrooms Appetizer?
Since this contains a basic Italian flavor in the breadcrumbs mixture, it is usually served best with marinara for dipping. You can also serve with any preferred dipping sauce.
I like using this homemade pasta sauce for dipping since it is simple and easy to make. You can also use a basic ranch dressing or dip. Other options include garlic butter, garlic olive oil, or this simple jalapeno dip if you like a bit of kick.
How do I Get My Mushrooms Crispy Without Burning Them?
The directions below work great for me, but sometimes our ovens heat differently than others. So, it's always important to watch while they cook, especially the first time. If your mushrooms don't seem to cook as you want, then use some of the tips below.
- Turn the mushrooms halfway through the cooking time.
- Make sure the baking sheet is on the middle rack of the oven.
- Place a wire rack onto the baking sheet for the mushrooms to cook more evenly on all sides.
- Make sure you are not adding water when cleaning the mushrooms. This can lead to sogginess.
- Spray the tops of the mushrooms with olive oils pray for extra browning while they cook.
What Herbs are in Herbs de Provence?
If you don't have Herbs de Provence in your pantry already, that's okay. You can make your own. The ingredients found in most are listed below.
- Fennel seed
- Bay powder
- Lavender flowers
Another option is to use the same amount of a basic Italian herb or seasoning blend. The biggest difference in Herbs de Provence is the inclusion of savory, lavender, and bay powder. So, while it will change the flavor a small amount, in such a small amount it won't be a recognizable difference in flavor.
- All-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Herbs de Provence
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Baked Mushrooms
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Carefully clean the mushrooms using a damp paper towel. Make sure to not add more moisture to the mushroom, but simply remove any dirt on the surface.
Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
In a second shallow bowl, whisk 2 eggs together.
In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, Herbs de Provence, Parmesan cheese, and paprika.
First, dip the mushrooms into the flour.
Next, dip them into the beaten egg.
Finally, dip them into the breadcrumbs coating them well.
Place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake them for 12 to 15 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
Can I Make These Ahead to Reheat When Serving?
While it is possible to make these ahead of time, they will not have the texture and crisp you want when reheated. If you do have leftovers or make them in advance, pop them into the oven or an air fryer to reheat so they stay crisp. Do not reheat these in the microwave.
How Long are Baked Mushrooms Good?
Mushrooms are one of the vegetables that last longest. Properly stored in an airtight container, they are good for up to 10-days in the refrigerator. That said, the longer you wait to eat them, the soggier the coating will become.
My recommendation is to bake them just before serving, and if you have leftovers, place them in a container with a lid and refrigerate them for no more than 3 to 4 days. This is mostly due to the coating and texture.
More Easy Appetizers
Appetizers are fun for parties, snacks, and of course, a start to any meal. While we usually don't make them for every meal, I love having a few great recipes on hand that I can whip up and share with guests, or for those days we don't feel like a full meal. Below are some of my favorites for you to add to your menu!
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls
- Cheesy Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Simple Homemade Bruschetta with Fresh Tomato Basil Topping
- Lemony Baked Zucchini Curly Fries with Parmesan & Herbs
- Crunchy Homemade Pita Chips
- 30 button mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully clean the mushrooms using a damp paper towel. Make sure to not add more moisture to the mushroom, but simply remove any dirt on the surface.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, whisk 2 eggs together.
- In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, Herbs de Provence, Parmesan cheese, and paprika.
- First, dip the mushrooms into the flour.
- Next, dip them into the beaten egg.
- Finally, dip them into the breadcrumbs coating them well.
- Place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake them for 12 to 15 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Serve with your favorite marinara or ranch dipping sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Rachael Ray Nonstick Bakeware Set with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheets / Baking Sheets - 3 Piece, Gray with Sea Salt Gray Grips
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set, Gray - 3-Piece
HULISEN Set of 3 Breading Pans, Stainless Steel Breading Set for Marinating Meat, Chicken, Fish, Food Prep Trays, Coating Trays Can Be Used to Baking Cake, Oven Safe
Amazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 2
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 1179mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g