Whether you have had this cheesy baked spinach artichoke dip at a restaurant or friends, it's one of the most popular appetizers you'll find on a menu. Warm, creamy, flavorful, and definitely cheesy, it's the ideal option to serve with a toasted baguette or your favorite tortilla chips. This recipe takes the mystery out of that favorite menu item and makes it simple to prepare at home!
Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
I love a good cold spinach dip but sometimes, you just want a delicious option that is warm and cheesy. For this recipe, you combine basic spinach, artichoke hearts, cheeses, and simple seasonings to create a delicious dish that is ideal for serving at parties or as part of your weeknight menu.
If you like dips as part of your menu, you might also like this jalapeno dip recipe or this blue cheese dip recipe for a savory option. Of course, I personally love the brownie batter dip, nut butter dip, and the s'mores dip cheese ball as sweet treats for dipping cookies or fruit into.
Is Spinach Artichoke Dip Keto?
The dip itself is technically a low-carb or keto-friendly choice. What you dip into it is what would make it not ideal for a lower carbohydrate diet. You can use low-carb tortillas, bread, or just dip with vegetables.
Is Spinach Artichoke Dip Gluten-Free?
This recipe is naturally gluten-free. You will, however, need to make sure the toasted bread, chips, or crackers you serve with it are also gluten-free for a celiac-safe dip choice.
Does Spinach Artichoke Dip Have Eggs?
While some versions of a baked spinach dip include eggs, this version does not. Instead, it sticks together with the multiple kinds of cheese rather than the egg you may find in other similar recipes.
Do I Serve This Dip Warm?
While this dip is best served hot or warm, it can also be served cold. It is best when the cheese is hot and melty so it strings a bit as you dip. If you need to keep it warm at a party, you can keep it over a chafing tray or warmer. It's easy to reheat in the microwave or oven as needed.
What Do You Serve with Spinach Dip?
Spinach artichoke dip is all about dipping something yummy into it, or in some cases, spreading it onto crispy bread or crackers. While there are a few standard ideas that are common, below are a few more that you might consider as well as some ideas for using this dip differently than normal.
- Tortilla chips, pita chips, veggie chips, or corn chips.
- Toasted baguette, rye, or pumpernickel slices.
- Vegetable crackers, whole grain crackers, or club crackers.
- Cucumber, celery, carrot, zucchini, or squash slices.
If you want something a bit different than just dipping your spinach dip, check out these ideas below.
- Spread inside chicken breasts before rolling and baking, or over the top of chicken breasts before baking.
- Add as a layer on a turkey or chicken sandwich with toasted bread.
- Combine with freshly cooked pasta and grilled shrimp or chicken.
Does This Dip Need to be Refrigerated?
Yes. Any leftover dip you have does need to be refrigerated. It lasts for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and should be covered tightly with plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container. Since it contains both cheese and sour cream, it cannot be stored at room temperature for more than 2 hours around the time you serve the recipe.
Can Spinach Artichoke Dip be Made Ahead?
You can definitely make this dish ahead of time! If you plan to prepare and cook the day you serve, simply follow the directions to the point of baking. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days, then bring the dish to room temperature and bake as directed. It is best to make ahead no more than 2 days so you have additional time to store and enjoy if you have leftovers.
Can I Freeze This Dip for Later?
You can definitely freeze this dip for later! It can be frozen for up to 4 months either before or after baking. I recommend storing it in a disposable pie plate or similar baking dish so you can take it directly from the freezer into the oven.
When freezing this dip, wrap it well with plastic wrap then a layer of aluminum foil, or inside a freezer storage bag. Label with the recipe name, baking instructions, and date prepared. Additionally, when ready to bake, you can pull directly from the freezer and simply cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or thaw overnight and prepare as directed.
- Olive oil
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Black pepper
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
Turn your oven to the broil setting. If no broil setting is available, pre-heat to 500°F.
Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray and set it aside.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add in the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds until aromatic.
Add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring until wilted before adding more.
Season the spinach and garlic with salt and pepper.
Continue cooking until the spinach has wilted and then add in the artichoke hearts.
Reduce the heat to low, and then add in the cream cheese, sour cream, 1 cup of mozzarella, parmesan, and mayonnaise.
Stir until combined, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
Top the baking dish with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella, and then broil for 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown on top.
Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before serving with toasted bread, crackers, or tortilla chips.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you are looking for more tasty ideas for appetizers, we have tons of delicious ideas to share. Below you will find a few favorites that are ideal for special events, game days, or just because!
- 50+ Appetizers That Are Bite-Sized Flavor Bombs
- Crispy Baked Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Fast and Easy Air Fryer Babybel Cheese Bites
- Crescent Roll Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
- The Ultimate Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups fresh spinach (189 g)
- 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (240 g)
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella, divided (336 g)
- 4 oz cream cheese (120 g)
- ½ cup sour cream (121 g)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (115 g)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan (22 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- Turn your oven to the broil setting. If no broil setting is available, pre-heat to 500°F.
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring until wilted before adding more.
- Season the spinach and garlic with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the spinach has wilted and then add in the artichoke hearts.
- Reduce the heat to low, and then add in the cream cheese, sour cream, 1 cup of mozzarella, parmesan, and mayonnaise.
- Stir until combined, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Top the baking dish with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella, and then broil for 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown on top.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before serving with toasted bread, crackers, or tortilla chips.
If using frozen spinach, substitute with 1 (10 oz) package frozen that has been thawed and drained of excess liquid.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KOOV Ceramic Bakeware, 8x8 Baking Dish, Square Baking Pan, Ceramic Baking Dish, Brownie Pans for Cake Dinner, Kitchen, Texture Series (Aegean)
Pyrex Easy Grab Baking Dish with lid Food Storage, 8" x 8"
Sweese 514.107 Porcelain Baking Dish, 8 x 8 inch Baker, Square Brownie Pan with Double Handle, Steel Blue
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 11 Piece. Includes 10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set and 1 Plastic Measuring Cup. Liquid Measuring Cups Set and Dry Metal Measuring Cup Set
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 613mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g