I love these easy strawberry cheesecake hand pies for a perfect little single-serving snack or dessert. They are so easy to make, perfect for preparing in large batches, and ideal for sharing. If you grew up on fried pies as I did, then you'll enjoy this easy option that is faster, healthier, and just as delicious.
Strawberry Cheesecake Hand Pies Recipe
My Granny would love that I enjoy making hand pies and sharing them with her family. I am lucky to have learned how to make a great pie crust from her, but the best part of this easy dessert is you don't have to make them homemade for it to be delicious. There are other great ready-made options that are going to work perfectly in this little dessert and make them a hit at your table without a ton of effort.
If you like this, then you'll probably also love this TikTok-inspired caramel apple wrap dessert. Super fast, easy, and delicious, these are also a hit that is easy to whip up in minutes! I'm all about saving time!
Can I Use Mascarpone Instead of Cream Cheese?
You can definitely substitute mascarpone in place of the cream cheese if you prefer. I find cream cheese to be more readily available and affordable, but that doesn't mean it isn't just as good or easy to make with mascarpone. Use what you prefer or even a ready-made cheesecake filling could be placed in these if you wish. It's a perfect recipe to add something unique to and make your own.
Can I Use Store-Bought Jam?
100% yes! I like the idea of making my own fresh homemade jam for this because it tends to have a brighter flavor that is more naturally sweet than store-bought, but that doesn't mean you have to make your own. If you are pressed for time and want something even easier, grab the jar of preserves or jam. I don't recommend jelly as you want the fruit pieces in this mixture.
You can also use any canned pie filling if you have that on hand. I almost always have a can or two of apple and cherry pie filling in my pantry for emergencies, and this is an excellent idea to use those for if you prefer.
What Crust is Best for Hand Pies?
In this recipe, I recommend using a prepared pie crust that is found in the refrigerated dairy section of your grocery store or market. You can, however, use a few different things to make these. Below are some ideas I have enjoyed.
- Crescent roll dough
- Homemade pie crust dough
- Canned biscuits rolled flat
- Phyllo dough sheets
- Packaged mixes of pie crust that you just add water to
- Bisquick mix or similar
- Flour tortillas (cut cook time in half)
Can I Make These in My Air Fryer?
Yes! I love using my air fryer for desserts like this. It saves time, makes them a bit faster, and in the summer doesn't heat up my kitchen. Air fryers do come in a number of makes and models so there are some differences involved. Usually, I would recommend reducing the temperature by 25 degrees and the cooking time by 20%. This will give you great results most times, but definitely start at a lower cook time and add more if needed.
- Lemon juice and zest
- Pie crusts
- Coarse sugar
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Mixing bowls
- Heavy bottom pan
- Wooden spoon
- Round cookie cutters
- Baking sheet(s)
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Pastry brush
- Paring knife
How to Make Strawberry Cheesecake Hand Pies
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium heavy-bottom pot or skillet, cook the strawberries and sugar over medium heat.
After 5 minutes, begin using the back of your spoon to mash the berries to break up the bigger pieces.
Reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice and add to the strawberry mixture.
Remove the strawberries from the heat, stir well, and set aside to thicken.
Use a round cookie cutter or a bowl as a guide, and cut circles of dough out. Make sure there is an even number of dough rounds.
Place ½ the dough rounds onto a clean surface or the prepared baking sheet(s).
Spoon 1 teaspoon of the strawberry mixture onto the center of the dough circles.
Top that with 1 teaspoon cream cheese or mascarpone cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk together the water and egg.
Brush the outside edges of the crust with the egg wash.
Place the second dough circle on top evenly, then use a fork around the edges to seal the dough.
Cut a single small slit in the top of each round.
Brush the top of each circle with egg wash, then sprinkle the top with coarse sugar.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Serve warm with ice cream or allow to cool and pack in lunch boxes.
More Dessert Recipes
You are going to love these pies, but if you need more inspiration for your dessert menu, look no further. Below you will find a few more of our favorite desserts. Dessert means a different thing to every person with chocolate, fruit, and sweet flavors throughout. Bookmark or print your favorites and add them to your menu this week!
- Chai Spiced Baked Apples with Vanilla Bean Gelato
- 30 Heavenly OREO Cookie Dessert Recipes
- The Best Ever Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Easy Traditional Tiramisu Dessert Recipe
- Fluffy No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe
- 2 cups strawberries (400 gm)
- 1 cup sugar (200 gm)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium heavy-bottom pot or skillet, cook the strawberries and sugar over medium heat.
- After 5 minutes, begin using the back of your spoon to mash the berries to break up the bigger pieces.
- Reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice and add to the strawberry mixture.
- Remove the strawberries from the heat, stir well, and set aside to thicken.
- Use a round cookie cutter or a bowl as a guide, and cut circles of dough out. Make sure there is an even number of dough rounds.
- Place ½ the dough rounds onto the prepared baking sheet(s).
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the strawberry mixture onto the center of the dough circles.
- Top that with 1 teaspoon cream cheese or mascarpone cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and egg.
- Brush the outside edges of the crust with the egg wash.
- Place the second dough circle on top evenly, then use a fork around the edges to seal the dough.
- Cut a single small slit in the top of each round.
- Brush the top of each circle with egg wash, then sprinkle the top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with ice cream or allow to cool and pack in lunch boxes.
You can substitute any favorite fruit filling for different flavored pies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Zulay (Set of 4) Pastry Brush - Heat Resistant Silicone Basting Brush With Soft Flexible Bristles - Assorted Basting Brush Ideal For BBQ, Marinating, or Spreading Butter & Oil
OXO Good Grips Etched Zester and Grater, One Size, Green
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Rachael Ray Nonstick Bakeware Set with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheets / Baking Sheets - 3 Piece, Gray with Sea Salt Gray Grips
KSPOWWIN Biscuit Cutters Set, Sturdy Stainless Steel Circle Round Cookie Cutters in Graduated Sizes Shape Molds for Pastries Doughs Doughnuts, 5 Pieces
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 3gSugar: 45gProtein: 5g