Sometimes you just need what we here in Michigan refer to as a hot dish aka a casserole. The all-in-one dish is a must and this loaded baked potato chicken casserole has tons of flavor and is a perfect choice for a hot weeknight meal. Layered together with a bright buffalo sauce and tons of cheese, this is the perfect meal that is loved by both kids and adults.
Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole
In our house, a good casserole is a perfect way to sit down for a family meal. I prefer meals that have everything in one dish so I have less work to do to prepare them. With a combination of potatoes, chicken, cheese, and bacon, this is a great comfort food meal that's super satisfying.
Another family favorite is this rich and savory skillet chicken pot pie. It's a great choice that is always a hit with the kids because it has that rich creamy gravy inside soft flaky crusts.
What is the Best Potato for This Recipe?
You can use any potato that you want in this recipe. I prefer using a nice Russet or Yukon Gold potato as they both soften well but also don't turn to mush when baking. Red potatoes and fingerling or purple potatoes add a bit different texture and while tasting delicious, they may turn to mush a bit easier and not be as good when serving.
Can I Use Frozen Potatoes Instead?
Another way to make this recipe and cut back on your prep time is to use a bag of diced potatoes. The refrigerated O'Brien potatoes are a great choice as are frozen potato chunks or pieces instead of fresh potatoes cut into chunks.
When using frozen potatoes, you will want to reduce the heat to 425°F to make sure they do not burn. The smaller pieces will be more likely to crisp faster, so follow the directions of checking every 15 minutes and stirring.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead of Breasts?
If you prefer to use chicken thighs when cooking, you can definitely substitute them in place of the chicken breasts. The cook time should remain the same and the results will be delicious and probably a bit richer in flavor and juicier. Just make sure that the chicken reaches 165°F internally before serving.
You can also use boneless pork chops or diced pork loin for this if you wanted a different flavor. The texture would be different, but you could follow the same directions and have a different flavor that is also delicious and family-approved.
What Cheese Should I Add to the Loaded Casserole?
For this recipe, I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella. You can use any good melting cheese that you prefer. There are many options that would easily compliment this recipe and be delicious.
- Colby jack
- Pepper jack
- Monterey jack
- American cheese
What Should I Serve With This Chicken Potato Casserole?
Since this is a bit heavier casserole recipe, you want to serve something light with it on the side. Kids may want just this, but I like to make sure we have a good green vegetable at every meal. This recipe is perfect for a side salad, green beans, asparagus, or broccoli. Roasted vegetables can be made easily alongside the casserole to save time and make it easy to serve a full meal with little effort.
- Chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Hot sauce
- Onion powder
- Dried parsley
- Black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Green onion
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make a Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole
Preheat the oven to 500°F and spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with non-stick spray or grease generously.
In a large bowl, add the olive oil, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and paprika and stir until combined.
Add the cubed potatoes to the bowl and stir to coat well.
Scoop the potatoes out of the bowl and place in an even layer in the baking dish. Leave residual marinade in the bowl to use for the chicken later.
Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes, stir, then put back in for another 15 minutes. Stir again, and if not crispy, continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and set them aside. Turn the oven temperature down to 400°F.
In the bowl with marinade from earlier, add the cubed chicken breast and stir to coat with the sauce mixture.
Pour the chicken over the top of the potatoes.
In a large bowl, combine the bacon, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and diced green onions and stir to combine.
Pour the cheese mixture in an even layer over the top of the chicken.
Bake for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the cheese is bubbling.
Top with additional green onions and serve.
More Casserole Recipes
Casseroles are always a hit at my dinner table and I know they will be for you too. This list of recipes has some great ideas to add to your menu alongside this loaded potato and chicken meal. Whether you want a classic comfort food dish or a new spin on something, the recipes below are sure to please. Bookmark or print the recipes below and add them to your menu!
- Hearty French Onion Soup Casserole
- Flavor Packed Greek Moussaka Casserole
- Comforting Bean and Sausage Casserole
- The Best Authentic Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas with Celery Fennel Salad
- 1 lb Russet potatoes, cubed
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoon hot sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, diced
- Preheat the oven to 500°F and spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with non-stick spray or grease generously.
- In a large bowl, add the olive oil, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and paprika and stir until combined.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the bowl and stir to coat well.
- Scoop the potatoes out of the bowl and place in an even layer in the baking dish. Leave residual marinade in the bowl to use for the chicken later.
- Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes, stir, then put back in for another 15 minutes. Stir again, and if not crispy, continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven temperature down to 400°F.
- In the bowl with marinade from earlier, add the cubed chicken breast and stir to coat with the sauce mixture.
- Pour the chicken over the top of the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, mozzarellla cheese, cheddar cheese, and diced green onions and stir to combine.
- Pour the cheese mixture in an even layer over the top of the chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the cheese is bubbling.
- Top with additional green onions and serve.
Frank's Red Hot Sauce is the preferred hot sauce for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups And Measuring Spoons 10-Piece Set, 5 Cups And 5 Spoons
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3-Pieces)
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Red
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 1318mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 47g