There is nothing better when cool weather hits than a slice of this moist pumpkin bread with a delicious simple homemade cream cheese frosting. With just enough cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, the pumpkin spice flavor really comes out in a simple moist dessert or breakfast bread recipe. Make this for yourself or gift it to others.
- Moist Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Can I Make This Into Pumpkin Muffins?
- What Mix-In's Go In Pumpkin Bread?
- Do I Have to Put Frosting On Pumpkin Bread?
- Can I Freeze Pumpkin Bread for Later?
- Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
- Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Handy Kitchen Tools
- How to Make Pumpkin Bread
- How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Does Pumpkin Bread Have to Be Refrigerated?
- How Long is Homemade Pumpkin Bread Good For?
- More Sweet Bread Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Moist Pumpkin Bread Recipe
For years I only purchased pumpkin bread because I was the only one who liked it. I found out, it was really that they didn't like the store-bought bread because it was too dry or bland. Now that I make this easy pumpkin bread every year, it disappears in minutes and is often requested even outside the classic fall pumpkin season.
If you have extra pumpkin leftover after making this homemade bread, you can whip up a batch of this creamy pumpkin risotto. It's a great side dish to any meal and really adds rich flavor to an ordinary rice side.
Can I Make This Into Pumpkin Muffins?
While this is best made as a loaf of sweetened bread, you can use this batter for muffins if you need portion-controlled servings. It will not be a light and airy muffin but will have a much denser texture.
If using this batter to make muffins instead of bread, you will need to spray the muffin tins with non-stick spray and fill each cavity ¾ of the way full with batter. Bake at the same temperature for 18 to 20 minutes. Depending upon the size of your muffin tin, it will make anywhere from 12 to 18 muffins.
What Mix-In's Go In Pumpkin Bread?
Pumpkin bread is definitely a stand-alone delicious flavor, but that doesn't mean you can't add a bit of texture and flavor to the mix. While you have the cream cheese frosting over the top, you may want a bit more texture, and below are some favorite additions. Mix no more than ½ cup total of these items into the batter, or ¼ cup sprinkled over the top of the frosting before serving.
- Chopped pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, or pistachios.
- Mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, butterscotch chips, pumpkin spice bits, or caramel bits.
- Golden raisins, chopped dried apricot, chopped dried pineapple, or unsweetened coconut shreds.
Do I Have to Put Frosting On Pumpkin Bread?
You certainly don't have to add frosting to this pumpkin bread recipe. It is very easy to make and serve alone, but the extra little addition of cream cheese frosting definitely adds to the flavor. For those who don't like the bright pumpkin spice flavor, the rich cream cheese helps to mellow this out and make it a bit smoother in each bite.
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Bread for Later?
You can definitely freeze these pumpkin bread loaves for later. I actually like making double or triple batches in early fall to then freeze for later. When freezing this sweet bread, you need to make sure it cools completely before you wrap and freeze. Make sure when freezing, you do spread the frosting over the loaf. That can be added at a later time when ready to serve the bread.
To freeze, you can wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap then place it into a freezer storage bag. If you feel you won't be able to eat a whole loaf at once, you can slice it into 1" thick slices, wrap each slice individually with plastic wrap, then place those slices into a freezer storage bag. It's a little bit of extra work, but it results in a much more moist and flavorful slice of bread once thawed.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Vegetable oil
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter. Alternately place a sheet of parchment paper into the loaf pan and set it aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and water until combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 30 minutes, then place a tented piece of aluminum foil over the loaf pan.
Place back into the oven, and continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Place onto a wire cooling rack and allow it to cool completely before removing from the loaf pan.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, then beat until smooth.
Spread over the top of the cooled pumpkin bread before slicing to serve.
Does Pumpkin Bread Have to Be Refrigerated?
No, it does not have to be refrigerated as long as it does not have the cream cheese frosting on top. However, if you prefer, It can be refrigerated for up to 1 week to keep fresh for longer.
If you, however, do put the cream cheese icing on the bread, you will want to store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The cream cheese frosting needs to be refrigerated for safety. You can always keep the frosting in the refrigerator separately, and then ice just before serving if you prefer.
How Long is Homemade Pumpkin Bread Good For?
The bread, without cream cheese icing, is fine to leave out at room temperature for up to 3 days or 1 week in the refrigerator. To keep the bread fresh for longer, make sure it is tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or stored in an air-tight container to keep the edges from getting too dry when exposed to the outside air.
More Sweet Bread Recipes
I love a good breakfast bread. There are many different flavors that are easy to make and create that nice sweet treat you want with your coffee or tea. These also double as snacks or desserts and are perfect for tucking into lunch boxes for kids to take to school. Below are some more of our favorite sweet bread recipes that you should pin, print, or bookmark to make soon! Start with this list of sweet bread recipes for heavenly breakfasts, or check out our own favorites here on the site linked below.
- Brown Sugar Walnut Banana Bread Recipe
- The Perfect Banana Bread Recipe
- Moist Cheesecake Banana Bread Recipe
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Bread Recipe
- Yeast-Free Buttery Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Authentic Amish Cinnamon Bread Recipe
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup water
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter. Alternately place a sheet of parchment paper into the loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and water until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then place a tented piece of aluminum foil over the loaf pan.
- Place back into the oven, and continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Place onto a wire cooling rack and allow it to cool completely before removing from the loaf pan.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, then beat until smooth.
- Spread over the top of the cooled pumpkin bread before slicing to serve.
Add ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter for extra texture in every bite.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hiware 2-Pack Cooling Racks for Baking - 10" x 15" - Stainless Steel Wire Cookie Rack Fits Jelly Roll Sheet Pan, Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 11 Piece. Includes 10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set and 1 Plastic Measuring Cup. Liquid Measuring Cups Set and Dry Metal Measuring Cup Set
Mueller Electric Hand Mixer, 5 Speed 250W Turbo with Snap-On Storage Case and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Easy Whipping, Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, and Dough Batters - White
Whisks for Cooking, 3 Pack Stainless Steel Whisk for Blending, Whisking, Beating and Stirring, Enhanced Version Balloon Wire Whisk Set, 8"+10"+12"
Amazon Basics 10-Piece Mixing Bowl Set with Lids - Non-Slip Base, Blue and White Floral
Amazon Basics Nonstick Baking Bread Loaf Pan, 9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 4g