If you love breakfast bakes, then this green vegetable egg bake recipe is going to be a new favorite. Packed with your favorite fresh garden vegetables and a bit of chicken, this recipe is both high in protein and nutrients. Simple steps mean you can whip this up and have it in the oven in short order, and on the table for breakfast or a lovely brunch with little effort.
Vegetable Egg Bake Recipe
I'm always looking for something new to add to our breakfast menu. Eggs by themselves can get a bit boring, so whipping them up in a bake is always a fun idea. I've tried them in tons of different ways, frittatas, stratas, quiche, and casseroles, but this is a simple bake that is delicious and easy to manage.
We've tried everything from Italian baked eggs in tomato sauce to this delicious burst tomato frittata with fontina and basil oil. Sometimes, you just need something healthy and easy to assemble. This lighter version of a breakfast bake is sure to please everyone at your table.
What Other Vegetables Could I Add?
We love adding green vegetables for the nutrients. Plus, this recipe includes some great garden fresh vegetables that are ideal for spring and summer. If you prefer something different, it is easy to add other vegetables into the bake. I just try to make sure whatever I add, the moisture is cooked down before mixing in to bake. That way, the consistency of the bake stays the same.
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
Can I Mix the Cheese Into the Bake?
When making this bake, I like to keep things as healthy as possible. So, rather than adding a bunch of cheese into the mix, I top it with just a bit of goat cheese. This keeps the calorie count lower and still keeps flavor high. You can add other cheeses into the mixture or on top of it if you prefer.
Some great ideas to mix into the cheese include fontina, cheddar, mozzarella, or even shredded pepper jack cheese. If you prefer something creamier, the goat cheese, feta, or even blue cheese, but of course, the flavor there is a bit competitive with the eggs, but that's okay if you want a richer cheese flavor.
Can I Add Breakfast Meats to This Bake?
This is a great dish to add breakfast meats to in place of or alongside the chicken breasts. Chicken helps make it a bit heartier and works well for brunch. You can easily swap out for some breakfast meat or add to it if you prefer.
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Sliced or chopped ham
- Cooked crumbled pork or turkey sausage
- Sliced chicken sausages
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time?
You can definitely make this bake ahead of time. It is a great choice for baking and then simply reheating when ready to serve. You may also prefer to mix up the bake and refrigerate overnight to then bake in the morning. Both options work well.
If you want to freeze this bake, it can be done both before and after baking. When freezing before baking, you will want to go ahead and saute the green vegetables before mixing. Whichever method you choose, make sure you cover the bake with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and label then date it before freezing. It is good for up to 4 months in the freezer. When frozen after baking, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. If you freeze before baking, thaw overnight then prepare as directed.
Is This Egg Bake Healthy?
Yes! With tons of green nutrient-dense vegetables, lean chicken breast, and eggs loaded with protein, it's a great way to start your day. There is limited added fat, it is overall, low in carbohydrates, and fits into many different dietary plans. Depending upon your personal diet needs, this is an excellent healthier choice that is sure to become a favorite.
- Brussels sprouts
- Chili flakes
- Chicken breast
- Whole grain mustard
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Goat cheese
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make a Vegetable Egg Bake
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Prepare vegetables by slicing or chopping into bite-sized pieces. Cut the chicken breast into 1" pieces.
In a large skillet, melt butter and cooking oil, then cook the prepared Brussel sprouts for 2-3 minutes until just golden.
Add in the broccoli and season with half the salt and pepper then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
To the mixture, add zucchini, leek, and half of the chili flakes then continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Pour the cooked vegetables into the prepared baking dish.
Add the cut chicken pieces to the skillet with additional butter and cook until golden on all sides, 2-3 minutes. The chicken does not have to be cooked through, simply browned.
Add the chicken to the vegetables in the baking dish, and stir to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, parsley, chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
Pour the egg mixture over the chicken and vegetables, then bake for 40-45 minutes until set in the center.
Top with goat cheese and additional chili flakes if desired.
More Recipes to Try
Need more to add to your breakfast and brunch menu? Check out some of our favorite recipes below We love whipping up something special for breakfast and of course, these recipes are excellent for serving brunch.
- Cinnamon French Toast Bread Pudding with Glaze
- Decadent Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- The Easiest Oven Baked Bacon Recipe
- Best Homemade Fluffy Belgian Waffle Recipe
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼" slices
- 1 leek, sliced thin
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare vegetables by slicing or chopping into bite-sized pieces. Cut the chicken breast into 1" pieces.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and cooking oil, then cook the prepared Brussel sprouts for 2-3 minutes until just golden.
- Add in the broccoli and season with half the salt and pepper then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- To the mixture, add zucchini, leek, and half of the red pepper flakes then continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooked vegetables into the prepared baking dish.
- Add the cut chicken pieces to the skillet with additional butter and cook until golden on all sides, 2-3 minutes. The chicken does not have to be cooked through, simply browned.
- Add the chicken to the vegetables in the baking dish, and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the chicken and vegetables, then bake for 40-45 minutes until set in the center.
- Top with goat cheese and additional chili flakes if desired.
For added flavor, add 3 cloves minced garlic to the vegetable mixture when cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Farberware Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker/Saute Pan with Helper Handle - 6 Quart, Black
Riveira Wooden Spoons for Cooking 6-Piece Bamboo Utensil Set Apartment Essentials Wood Spatula Spoon Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set Premium Quality Housewarming Gifts Wooden Utensils for Everyday Use
Cook with Color Mixing Bowls - 4 Piece Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowl Set with Pour Spouts and Handles (Ombre Blue)
Ouddy 3 Pack Stainless Steel Whisks 8"+10"+12", Wire Whisk Set Wisk Kitchen Tool Kitchen whisks for Cooking, Blending, Whisking, Beating, Stirring
Hompiks Baking Dish Casserole Dish Porcelain Bakeware Sets for the Oven Baking Dishes Set of 3 for Lasagna Kitchen Blue 11.02 x 8.35 Inch Baking Pans
Cuisinart C55-12PCKSAM 12 Piece Color Knife Set with Blade Guards (6 knives and 6 knife covers), Jewel - Amazon Exclusive
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 338mgSodium: 768mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 39g