There is no more iconic summer flavor than the delicious marshmallow, graham cracker, and chocolate combination that is s'mores. That is until you have tried this s'mores dip dessert cheese ball. With a little hint of cream cheese and shaped into a fun cheese ball for easy dipping, this is a perfect summer treat for parties! Just as good with much less mess!
S'mores Dessert Dip Cheese Ball
While I love roasting a classic s'more over an open flame, it isn't always convenient or safe. So, having a backup plan is a must, and when you host parties all summer long, an option that is made all at once and easy to share is even better. Dessert dips are a fun treat, and when they have familiar flavors, they always go over well.
If you want to pair this yummy dip with another dessert dip idea, then you will love this easy brownie batter dip recipe. It whips up in minutes and never fails to be a favorite at every party. Super easy to make and serves great with fruit or sweet crackers.
What do I Eat S'mores Dip With?
The possibilities are endless! While you would automatically go to the graham crackers that are a huge part of a classic s'more, they aren't all you can use for dipping into this yummy cheese ball. Below are some other popular and delicious options that easily make the perfect vessel for testing out this treat.
- Graham crackers, animal cookies, shortbread cookies, or sugar cookies.
- Raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries.
- Miniature chocolate bars.
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Peanut butter cookies
- Slices of pound cake, angel food cake, sponge cake, or even French toast sticks.
- Apple slices, pear slices, or pineapple slices.
What Else Can I Coat the Dessert Cheese Ball With?
This particular recipe uses puffed rice cereal, chocolate, and graham cracker crumbs for the "cheese ball" coating. While this fits the overall flavors, you can definitely get creative and use other options to coat your dessert dip.
- Any flavor cookie crumbled.
- Miniature milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips.
- Cinnamon sugar cereal.
- S'mores flavored cereal.
- Miniature marshmallow pieces.
Note: You do not have to form this into a ball. It can easily be left in the bowl and used for a dip with the extra cookie crumbs just scattered over the top. The cheese ball method just presents nicely and adds more texture with the coating.
Can I Use Marshmallow Cream Instead of Marshmallows?
While you can totally use marshmallow cream with the cream cheese, it will have a different consistency and not be as easy to mold into a ball. Just make sure if you want to serve as a ball you use the traditional marshmallow.
Do I Have to Use a Specific Type of Marshmallow?
Nope! You can use any marshmallow. In fact, when making this, we used rainbow marshmallows we already had on hand. So, while they taste the same, it turned the dip a little bit different color than it might be with plain white marshmallows.
I like the idea of trying this with vanilla marshmallows, pumpkin spice marshmallows, chocolate marshmallows, or even peppermint marshmallows. Of course, you don't have to use big or small, but any size marshmallow you have on hand.
How Long is S'mores Dip Good For?
This dip is best served within 2 to 3 days of preparation. The crispy bits on the outside can get super soggy if left longer. It does need to be stored in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. I like to make it ahead of when I want to serve and let it chill for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving to help it harden into a ball shape better.
What Goes Into S'mores Dessert Dip?
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Miniature chocolate chips
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Puffed rice cereal
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Small saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Handheld electric mixer
- Plastic wrap or bowl with lid
How to Make S'mores Dip into a Cheese Ball
In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter and marshmallows. This should take 2 to 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar, marshmallows, vanilla extract, and salt then mix until combined.
Stir in ⅔ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Using clean hands, form the mixture into a ball then cover loosely and refrigerate for at least 30-minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, remaining chocolate chips, and rice cereal. Stir until combined and well distributed.
Hold the cheese ball in one hand while using the second hand to scoop the mixture up and press into the sides of the cheese ball. Once a basic coating is over the sides, you can then place it into the bowl and move it around to make sure the outside is completely coated.
Serve immediately with cookies, chocolate, or fruit.
How do I Store a Dessert Cheese Ball?
If not serving, wrap well in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container then refrigerate until ready to serve. It can also be frozen for up to three months. Just wrap well with plastic wrap, then place inside a freezer storage bag that has been dated and labeled. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
What Other No-Bake Desserts Can I Make with Cream Cheese?
If you want to add more yummy no-bake recipes to your menu plan, don't look any further than the list of tasty cream cheese based ideas below. I love cream cheese, and it is the ultimate base for a no-bake dessert. Make sure you pin, print, or bookmark these for your meal plan later!
- The Best No-Bake OREO Cheesecake Recipe
- No-Bake Layered Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert Recipe
- Fluffy No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Pie with Sweetened Condensed Milk
For Cheese Ball
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened (170 g)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (50 g)
- 1 cup marshmallows (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips (85 g)
- Pinch kosher salt
For Cheese Ball Coating
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (32(
- ¼ cup puffed rice cereal (8 g)
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs (25 g)
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter and marshmallows. This should take 2 to 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar, marshmallows, vanilla extract, and salt then mix until combined.
- Stir in ⅔ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Using clean hands, form the mixture into a ball then cover loosely and refrigerate for at least 30-minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, remaining chocolate chips, and rice cereal. Stir until combined and well distributed.
- Hold the cheese ball in one hand while using the second hand to scoop the mixture up and press into the sides of the cheese ball. Once a basic coating is over the sides, you can then place it into the bowl and move it around to make sure the outside is completely coated.
- Serve immediately with cookies, chocolate, or fruit. If not serving, wrap well in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Replace the marshmallows and butter with ⅓ cup marshmallow cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Covered Bowl Set, 8-pc, Set of 8, Coastal Colors
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Cuisinart HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 1-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan, Silver
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g