BOSTON CREAM PANCAKES! Yes, you read that right! These pancakes are legit food porn – they’re everything you can imagine them to be! Creamy, chocolatey and fluffy – perfect for a Sunday brunch or your next cheat day!
We’ve both been slightly obsessed by Boston Creme pies and donuts – so what’s better than to make these Boston Cream Pancakes for a Sunday brunch?! These are delicious and really fluffy. Plus they’re super easy to make!
We came up with the idea for this recipe one day when we were really craving for some Boston creme donuts and they were out of stock at all the nearby donut places. So we just decided to make our own! But we wanted to amp it up and so we converted it into Boston Creme Pancakes!
And if I may say, these are even better than the donuts and pie version!! There is no way on earth you won’t fall in love with these once you try them. We’re completely sold!
Hello you guys!! We’re keeping up with our promise and delivering a new recipe to you every day! We still haven’t figured out a specific time for posting, but keep reading our recipes and we’ll announce a specific time for all new recipes sometime in the next few days!
It’s been such a hectic couple of days for us. We’re in the last 6 weeks of our first semester (we’re studying Photography and Film-Making!) and it’s been crazy!! We’re literally piled with work from school and the blog all the time, to the point that for about 5 days this past week, I hadn’t slept more than 2-3 hours a day! As soon as I got the chance yesterday, I slept for 5 hours straight in the afternoon!! Talk about being exhausted!
So here is a brand new recipe for you guys! This is one of our super special food porn-esque recipe. We’ll be posting a lot more of these in the coming days. Have you noticed the extreme obsession with Nutella everything these days?! I mean, what is up with that? I swear the other day I saw a recipe with nutella rice or something even nastier than that!
So stepping away from this obsession, we wanted to make some delicious – yet different. And this really is all of that! You guys are going to LOVE this recipe!! ?
Time for some chef tips for this recipe. We post these along with each of our recipes and keep updating the section as more and more questions come up from you guys. We love interacting with you all! So hit us up with an email or a comment down below if you have any questions!!
Chef Tips ?
- When placing the Boston cream between the pancakes while layering, make sure the pancakes aren’t too hot or the cream will start getting watery. Therefore, cool down the pancakes before putting the cream. Trust me they taste better!
- Similarly, for the chocolate syrup/ganache – make sure it’s slightly chilled for a yummier effect.
- Use a non-stick pan for the pancakes to help you get a better color and for them to cook more evenly.
- You can even convert a regular pan into a non-stick one! Simply place a lot of salt (enough to fill up to 1 cm in the pan evenly all over, and heat on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Throw away the salt (or store for reusing in the same method) and make sure you wipe off all the salt before proceeding in making the pancakes!
- Add some delicious strawberries to these pancakes to amp them up even more!
So let’s get on with the recipe you guys!
- 2 heaped tbsp. sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp corn flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg yolk
For Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 heaped tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp melted butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten / 2 egg
- Start off by making the pastry cream. Boil 1/4 cup of the milk. In a measuring jug, take rest of the milk, egg yolk and vanilla essence, and whisk it thoroughly. Mix cornflour and sugar in a separate container and add to the jug and whisk. Take the pot of boiling milk off the heat and start adding the mixture slowly into the boiling milk, while continuously whisking. The mixture will start thickening up and will become the consistency of the Boston Cream.
- Next, make the chocolate ganache. All you need to do is to take a microwaveable container, add the chocolate chips and cream and put it in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Then stir it and check for lumps. If it hasn't melted all the way through, put it inside the microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Once all the lumps are removed, add in the butter and stir.
- Make the pancakes next. Mix all the dry ingredients first then add the eggs, butter and milk. WHisk well. The consistency will be smooth yet not watery.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and put some butter on the pan. Whirl it around the pan and wipe off the excess with a tissue paper. With a ladle, put one ladle of the pancake mixture and cook till bubbles start to appear on the surface. Then flip and took for an addition 1-2 minutes.
- Let the pancakes cool down a bit before adding the Boston cream in the middle and top it off with the chocolate ganache.
- Serve fresh!
1. When placing the Boston cream between the pancakes while layering, make sure the pancakes aren't too hot or the cream will start getting watery. Therefore, cool down the pancakes before putting the cream. Trust me they taste better!
2. Similarly, for the chocolate syrup/ganache - make sure it's slightly chilled for a yummier effect.
3. Use a non-stick pan for the pancakes to help you get a better color and for them to cook more evenly.
4. You can even convert a regular pan into a non-stick one! Simply place a lot of salt (enough to fill up to 1 cm in the pan evenly all over, and heat on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Throw away the salt (or store for reusing in the same method) and make sure you wipe off all the salt before proceeding in making the pancakes!
5. Add some delicious strawberries to these pancakes to amp them up even more!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 125mg Sodium: 149mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 19g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g
If you loved these Boston Cream Pancakes like we did, you’ll fall in love with our Cinnamon Rolls French Toast Roll Ups! They taste exactly like cinnamon rolls minus all the hassle!! The kids will LOVE them! ?