Weeknight chicken dinner has never been better! A simple garlic butter chicken with asparagus is always a hit at our dinner table. Fast, fresh, and fantastic, this recipe is loved by everyone and is especially nice for busy weeknights when cooking dinner sounds like a chore.
Garlic Butter Chicken with Asparagus
Nobody will call this "just another boring chicken dinner". A simple blend of spices and cooking process creates a nice rich flavor that pairs well with crisp fresh asparagus. This is ideal for picky eaters as well as serving guests. In fact, it is a great go-to choice for last-minute visitors as it serves beautifully while being easy for you to manage while entertaining.
If you want something a bit more upscale, try this delicious creamy chicken masala recipe or even this easy Thai chicken coconut curry recipe instead. Both are just as easy as this dish, with a little richer flavor profile.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
You can definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer. I just recommend that you trim off any excess fat when cutting into cubes before seasoning. The cook time should be the same, but you can also use a meat thermometer to check that the chicken is at least 165°F internally before serving.
You could also use this same method to make pork loin or pork chops alongside the asparagus. Just check the internal temperature to make sure it has reached 145°F before serving.
What Other Vegetables Can I Use in This Recipe?
If you are not a fan of asparagus, you can substitute other vegetables with great results. The cooking method will vary slightly depending upon what you choose to add to the meal. Below are a few choices that will follow the same process as the asparagus.
- Green beans
- Sugar snap peas
Below are a few vegetables that would also go well with this, but would only need to be added to the final step of simmering in the sauce before adding the chicken back into the pan for the final few moments.
- Bell peppers
What Should I Serve With Garlic Butter Chicken?
While many would be satisfied with just the chicken and vegetables, you may want to serve this with a bit more to create a full meal. Our teen would definitely want a starch on the side, but if you are on a keto meal plan, you might prefer to serve as is. Below are some great ideas that pair well with these flavors.
Side dishes that work well with this include:
- Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, homestyle cheesy scalloped potatoes, or roasted potatoes.
- Additional steamed, roasted, or sauteed vegetables including candied carrots or this parmesan zucchini.
- Pasta sides like homemade egg noodles, Southern-style baked macaroni and cheese or this creamy feta tomato pasta.
- Fresh bread such as soft potato bread, homemade crescent rolls, or even copycat Hawaiian rolls.
Is Fresh Garlic Really Important or Can I Use Powder Instead?
For the right flavor, I truly believe using fresh garlic in the sauce of this recipe is a must. However, if you don't have it on hand and want to use garlic powder instead, simply substitute by adding ½ teaspoon garlic powder into the sauce as it cooks.
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Hot sauce
- Chicken broth
- Fresh parsley
- Red chili flakes
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Handy Kitchen Tools
While these are not a must in the kitchen for this recipe, they do make it just a bit easier to manage. Keeping the right tools on hand will make it easier to prepare meals and allow you to do so in a shorter time period without frustration. It's definitely worth investing in these items to have on hand.
How to Make Garlic Butter Chicken with Asparagus
Cut the chicken into 1" pieces and season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika then set aside.
Clean and trim the asparagus then blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water. Remove from the water and add directly to an ice bath and set aside.
In a deep-sided large skillet, add half the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
Add in the chicken pieces and gently stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is just golden brown.
Reduce the heat to low and add in 1 teaspoon of garlic and the Italian seasoning, and cook for 2 more minutes until just beginning to get fragrant. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
To the skillet, add the remaining garlic and chicken broth and deglaze the pan using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of food cooked onto the bottom.
Bring the broth to a simmer and allow it to cook for 4 to 5 minutes to reduce.
Add in the remaining butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, and fresh parsley to the skillet and stir to combine.
To the sauce, add the blanched asparagus and cook for 2 minutes before adding in the chicken and cooking for an additional 1 minute.
Garnish with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes before serving with slices of lemon.
More Tasty Recipes
If you want more chicken recipes for your menu, you've come to the right place. Below are a few more popular options that add chicken to the menu in new and delicious ways. Make sure you bookmark, pin or print these to add to your menu soon!
- The Most Flavorful Chicken Meatloaf Recipe
- Flavor Packed Blackened Chicken Breast Recipe
- Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (450 gm)
- 1 teaspoon salt ( 6 gm)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (2.5 gm)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (3.5 gm)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (2.5 gm)
- 1 teaspoon paprka (2.5 gm)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (113 gm)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (5 ml)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (8.5 gm)
- ½ cup chicken broth (118 ml)
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (2.25 gm)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (15 ml)
- ¼ cup lemon juiice (59 ml)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, divided (7.5 gm)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (1 gm)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Cut the chicken into 1" pieces and season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika then set aside.
- Clean and trim the asparagus then blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water. Remove from the water and add directly to an ice bath and set aside.
- In a deep-sided large skillet, add half the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add in the chicken pieces and gently stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is just golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in 1 teaspoon of garlic and the Italian seasoning, and cook for 2 more minutes until just beginning to get fragrant. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- To the skillet, add the remaining garlic and chicken broth and deglaze the pan using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of food cooked onto the bottom.
- Bring the broth to a simmer and allow it to cook for 4 to 5 minutes to reduce.
- Add in the remaining butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, and fresh parsley to the skillet and stir to combine.
- To the sauce, add the blanched asparagus and cook for 2 minutes before adding in the chicken and cooking for an additional 1 minute.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes before serving with slices of lemon.
Chicken should be cooked to 165°F internally before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Candy Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet for Oil Deep Fry BBQ Grill Smoker Thermometer
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
M KITCHEN WORLD Silicone Spatula Set - 4 Piece Heat Resistant Rubber Spatulas for Cooking & Baking - Nonstick Spoon Set for Kitchen Utensils - Orange
OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Silicone Head
Cook N Home 20 Quart Stainless Steel Saucepot with Lid Stockpot, QT, Silver
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 881mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g