If you need something that is fast, easy to make, and still packs incredible flavor, then you will love this creamy chicken marsala. This recipe is ready in under 30-minutes and is ideal for serving up on busy nights. A comforting meal with tender chicken, mushrooms, and a rich creamy sauce is sure to be a perfect choice that is great for family meals but also impressive to serve guests.
Creamy Chicken Marsala
If you are tired of boring chicken dishes, this is an excellent choice that is so easy to make you'll feel guilty when others declare it so incredible. While I use chicken breasts, you can substitute chicken thighs with equally amazing results in this recipe. With the creamy sauce, it is a perfect choice for a comfort food meal, but not so heavy you can't enjoy a hearty serving.
If you enjoy a good creamy chicken recipe, then you might also want to check out this skillet chicken pot pie. It's a bit more complex but equally delicious and an excellent comfort food meal that is kid-friendly.
Can I Use Balsamic Vinegar Instead of Marsala Wine?
Yes! If you are like me and just don't have alcohol in the house but want the similar or same flavor, balsamic vinegar is a pantry staple you can rely on. This recipe uses ½ cup marsala wine, so when using balsamic vinegar, I would recommend using instead, ¼ cup broth, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, and 1 teaspoon sugar. This should provide the same amount of liquid in the dish with the acidic addition you want while not being too bitter.
Another popular option that is often used in place of the wine in this dish is a white grape juice mixture. It includes ¼ cup white grape juice, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of red wine mixed together and added in place of the wine.
How Do You Make Chicken Marsala Sauce Thicker?
The most common choices for thickening this sauce are to continue simmering longer to reduce, or to add a cornstarch slurry. I follow the 1:2 ratio with this for the best results. So, I would add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to 2 tablespoons water or broth, whisk well, then stir into the marsala sauce and continue cooking over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
Note that you may also find the sauce thickens nicely after it rests for 3-4 minutes. So, before adding a thickening agent, I always recommend letting it sit a bit to determine if it will naturally thicken any.
What Do I Serve with Chicken Marsala?
In our house chicken marsala is almost always served alongside our homemade egg noodles or a helping of mashed potatoes. That said, there are tons of things that are complimentary with chicken marsala. Below are a few ideas that also pair well with this recipe.
- Rice, risotto, or polenta
- Linguinie, fettucini, or spaghetti
- Roasted cauliflower or broccoli
- Asparagus, green beans, or snow peas
- Spaghetti squash or zucchini zoodles
Do I Have to Use Mushrooms with Chicken Marsala?
Marsala is traditionally made with mushrooms. If you want to make the recipe without mushrooms, that is perfectly fine. It adds a depth of flavor and a bit of earthiness that many enjoy, but it is not necessary to create a truly delicious meal.
Another option for richer flavor without mushrooms is to caramelize onions before creating the sauce. They can add more depth of flavor but may be easier to serve to those who don't care for the mushroom flavor.
Is Chicken Marsala Keto Friendly?
While the marsala cooking wine does have some carbohydrate content, it does not create an issue in keto meals. After cooking down and divided among the servings, the low carb amount is negligible leaving this as a truly keto-friendly option for your diet. Served over spaghetti squash or zoodles it's an ideal choice for low-carb lifestyles.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Marsala wine
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Fresh parsley
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Creamy Chicken Marsala
In a large deep-sided skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
Once the skillet and oil are hot, add the chicken breasts in a single layer in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through. The chicken should be at least 165°F internally.
Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Into the same skillet, add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sliced mushrooms. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring regularly to soften.
To the mushrooms, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30-seconds stirring to combine.
Add the marsala wine to the skillet and stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, dried thyme, and rosemary. Bring this mixture to a boil while stirring regularly to prevent burning. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, add in the butter, and continue simmering for 10 minutes until thickened.
Add the chicken back into the skillet and simmer for 1-2 minutes to reheat before removing it from heat.
Serve with pasta or preferred sides and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
More Delicious 30-Minute Recipes
If you are looking for more easy 30-minute meals for your family, look no further than the list below. With a variety of flavors and easy steps, these recipes are excellent for filling in your meal plan. Bookmark or print these recipes for upcoming meals!
- Easy 30-Minute Chicken Pasta Primavera Recipe
- 30-Minute Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
- Easy 30-Minute Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls
- 30-Minute Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Recipe
- Mexican Beef and Rice 30-Minute Skillet Meal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup marsala cooking wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bunch Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large deep-sided skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Once the skillet and oil are hot, add the chicken breasts in a single layer in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through. The chicken should be at least 165°F internally.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Into the same skillet, add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sliced mushrooms. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring regularly to soften.
- To the mushrooms, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30-seconds stirring to combine.
- Add the marsala wine to the skillet and stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, dried thyme, and rosemary. Bring this mixture to a boil while stirring regularly to prevent burning. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, add in the butter, and continue simmering for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet and simmer for 1-2 minutes to reheat before removing it from heat.
- Serve with pasta or preferred sides and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs if preferred.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Candy Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet for Oil Deep Fry BBQ Grill Smoker Thermometer
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.5-Quart, Red
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Kaluns Kitchen Tongs for Cooking, Non Stick Silicone Tip Stainless Steel Tongs, Set of Four 7,9, and 12 Inch Tong Plus Silicone Spatula Non-stick, Heat Resistant Serving Utensils
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 629Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 41g