Nothing gets the kids running to the dinner table like the word pizza. These crescent roll mini deep dish pizzas are the perfect fast and easy recipe for any busy weeknight. A semi-homemade pizza is a great way to make a meal everyone loves, and that is what we all need on our busier days. Load these with your favorite toppings for a great meal catered to everyone at the table.
Crescent Roll Mini Deep Dish Pizza
Sometimes a quick easy meal is a must. Even though this is semi-homemade using a prepared dough and sauce, doesn't mean it isn't also a home-cooked meal. I really love that these are so easy to make and are ideal for adding to a kid's lunchbox. It's tasty and easy to make, and kids will love seeing them.
If you want more ideas for adding pizza to your menu, you might want to make this pizza puff snack recipe or this fun pepperoni pizza tortilla wrap idea. Both are great, easy to make, and kid-friendly. Mom and dad might prefer this classic Sicilian-style pizza instead on those nights you have a bit more time to cook.
What Should I Bake These In?
The easiest way to make these is to prepare them in a muffin tin or cupcake pan. I have also used individual silicone muffin cups or a brownie pan that has individual wells. You can form them freehand and cook on a baking sheet, but they tend to spread out more and not give the deep dish look and style you are wanting.
What Toppings Go on Mini Pizzas?
Pizza is one of those unique foods that have the same base but individual flavors depending upon your preferences. The classics are sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, but that doesn't mean you can't make them your own with different flavors. Below are some ideas for making this even better.
- Turkey pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, cooked seasoned ground beef, Canadian bacon, or diced ham.
- Bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, or black olives.
- Spinach, kale, or artichokes.
- Parmesan, gouda, gruyere, fontina, or feta cheese.
- Dried or fresh herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, black pepper
This list has just a few of the items you might want to add to your pizza. Depending upon your preferences and abilities at the time, you can even add in roasted garlic or homemade pasta sauce. Of course, in our house, a few pieces of pineapple might also be found on these pizzas!
Tips for Setting Up a Pizza Bar
One of the best things about this recipe is that it is ideal for a pizza bar. If you've never had a pizza bar, it is basically a way to let everyone choose their own toppings and make their own pizzas. Setting up stations for each ingredient, and then letting the kids (or guests) assemble them makes it easy to customize a meal to fit everyone's preferences, allergies, or sensitivities. Below are some of the best tips.
- Prepare the dough in muffin cups or tins ahead of time.
- Offer different sauce options including marinara, alfredo, and pesto.
- Add the various toppings in small serving bowls with tongs at the center of a table so everyone can walk around in "buffet" style to add their items.
This is a favorite way to get kids involved in cooking and is ideal for a birthday party or sleepover. They can assemble their own and everyone gets just what they want without you having to make a lot of different full sized pizzas.
Can I Make These Ahead of Time and Freeze Them?
Yes! While I find them best freshly made, you can freeze them. They are such a fast meal you would think it wouldn't really be needed, but, it is a great way to prepare lunches for kids well in advance.
Prepare them as directed, including baking completely. Allow them to cool, then package individual in plastic wrap or a freezer storage bag. Put the individual pizzas into a larger freezer storage container or bag. Date and label them, then use them within 3 months of making.
To reheat these mini pizzas, you can thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in 30-second increments in the microwave. They can also be reheated in the oven, or an air fryer very easily from frozen.
- Crescent roll dough
- Mini pepperoni
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
Optional: Nonstick cooking spray
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Crescent Roll Pizzas
Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and lightly spray the cavities of a cupcake/muffin pan with non-stick spray.
Remove the crescent roll dough from the package, but do not roll out. Slice the dough into 12 equal sections.
Press one section of dough into each cavity in the muffin tin.
Add a spoon of pizza sauce into each dough piece.
Top with cheese.
Add pepperoni or other toppings desired. Make sure to only fill the cavity of the dough around ½ full so it has room to puff up and rise while cooking.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and cheese has melted.
Serve as is or alongside additional marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.
More Delicious Recipes
If you want to make more delicious kid-friendly meals, we have you covered. Below you will find even more of our favorites that never fail to please the kids at the dinner table. Make sure you bookmark the recipe, pin it on Pinterest, or print it for later!
- Dutch Oven Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Recipe
- Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork with Homemade Spice Rub
- Quick and Easy Spaghetti Bolognese
- The Ultimate Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 1 pkg crescent roll dough (8 ct pkg)
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mini pepperoni
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and lightly spray the cavities of a cupcake/muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Remove the crescent roll dough from the package, but do not roll out. Slice the dough into 12 equal sections.
- Press one section of dough into each cavity in the muffin tin.
- Add a spoon of pizza sauce into each dough piece.
- Top with cheese.
- Add pepperoni or other toppings desired. Make sure to only fill the cavity of the dough around ½ full so it has room to puff up and rise while cooking.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and cheese has melted.
- Serve as is or alongside additional marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.
Top with any of your favorite pizza toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin Pan & Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, Steel
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Bar Baking Pan, Ideal for Brownies, Cakes and Bar-Cookies, 12-Cavity
HOMWE Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt, Oven Mitts with Quilted Liner, Heat Resistant Pot Holders, Flexible Oven Gloves, Red, 1 Pair, 14.7 Inch
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set,AIKEXIN Stainless Steel 20 Piece Set,7 Measuring Cups & 6 Measuring Spoons & 3 Transparent Plastic Measuring Cup, 1 Leveler,1 Measuring Conversion Chart and, 2 Metal Ring
CasaWare Jumbo Muffin Pan 6 Cup Ceramic Coated Non-Stick (Silver Granite)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 937mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g