It may sound like an odd combination, but nothing goes together better than tacos and spaghetti. Seriously! This cheesy taco spaghetti is going to become the perfect combination of your favorite pasta dish and tasty tacos. A new spin on weeknight meals, this is one recipe the kids will love seeing on the menu and you will love to know is easy to make. Everyone will love the rich flavor of tacos with an easy to prepare pasta!
Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Recipe
Weeknights can be so busy for parents with kids underfoot meaning that easy meals are always preferred. A one-pot meal that is also kid-friendly? Count me in for that!
Using the Dutch oven is a great way to cook something easily in one pot. This meal combines kid favorites to create a new meal that everyone enjoys. Rich sauce and basic pasta are always a hit in our house, and this is a fun new option everyone will beg you to make over and over again.
What Goes with Taco Spaghetti?
This is one of those all-in-one meals that you don’t have to serve anything else with if you don’t want to do so. I do, however, tend to always have a garden salad with any pasta-based dish. It helps get those veggies into the kids. You can also add them to this recipe if you want to add a bit more flavor and make it truly all-in-one.
Options that go along with this for a little something extra is to serve it with your favorite vegetable sides. I like the idea of adding this sriracha corn on the cob or this Mexican corn salad. Both are a fun side that fits this recipe easily. Mostly concentrating on adding more veggies when you can, but otherwise, just enjoy this all by itself for something super yummy for dinner.
What Vegetables Can I Add to Taco Spaghetti?
On the same note as above, adding vegetables into this is an easy way to give the recipe a bit more texture and flavor. Tacos in our house often include more than just the basic meat and cheeses. Below are a few ideas that easily fit with the rest of the recipe for a tasty taco flavor.
- Diced yellow, white, or red onion can all fit this flavor easily.
- Red, orange, or yellow bell pepper adds a bit more sweetness to the spaghetti. Green bell pepper is also great for a more savory flavor.
- Roasted garlic can elevate the flavor nicely.
- Diced mushrooms add an extra meaty texture to the meal.
- Jalapeno slices or green chiles add heat, so are better as toppings, but for those who all like spice, they easily fit into the recipe.
- Diced tomatoes are great toppings but can also fit into the recipe when cooking.
What Cheese Go In This Recipe?
I added what I had on hand and it was delicious. Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese worked great for a nice flavorful and cheesy addition. You can use any cheese you want, but below are some other options I think fit well with the taco spaghetti theme.
- Monterey Jack
- Colby Jack
- Pepper Jack
- Sharp or medium cheddar
- Queso blanco or Queso Chihuahua
Can I Cook The Pasta Separately?
There is usually some amount of controversy any time you see pasta cooked in a pot with the sauce rather than separately and added to the mixture. This recipe is all about an easy one-pot meal. If you prefer to cook it separately, you can totally do that.
To serve with the sauce and pasta separate, prepare the pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside. Follow the directions for the sauce but don’t add additional water and just combine the two together and mix with the cheeses before serving.
- Olive oil
- Ground beef
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Tomato paste
How to Make Cheesy Taco Spaghetti
In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the olive oil and ground beef.
Cook the ground beef for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to brown, then mix in the taco seasoning and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
To the pan, add the salsa and tomato paste and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
If cooking the pasta in the pan, add in the 4 cups of water and the spaghetti and continue simmering over medium heat for another 15 minutes until the pasta is tender.
Remove from heat and mix in the two kinds of cheese stirring until combined and melted.
Serve with additional traditional taco toppings like diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, and similar.
Investing in your kitchen is important if you plan to cook frequent meals. One of the best investments I ever made was in a Dutch oven. While you can spend hundreds of dollars on them, you can also buy a quality Dutch oven on Amazon for under $50. These are great for more than soup and chili but also for casseroles, desserts, and even bread!
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
If pasta is what you want, I have tons of great ideas to satisfy your cravings. Whether you want a classic or a fun new idea like this one, you’ll find something interesting below that is ideal for serving up to your family.
- Quick and Easy Sundried Tomatoes and Garlic Pasta
- 5-Ingredient Spicy Garlic Pasta
- Ultimate Lobster Mac and Cheese with Sherry Cream Sauce
- Simple Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
- Meatless Baked Pasta
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Lasagna Recipe
- Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 16 oz spaghetti
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the olive oil and ground beef.
- Cook the ground beef for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to brown, then mix in the taco seasoning and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- To the pan, add the salsa and tomato paste and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- If cooking the pasta in the pan, add in the 4 cups of water and the spaghetti and continue simmering over medium heat for another 15 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and mix in the two cheeses stirring until combined and melted.
- Serve with additional traditional taco toppings like diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, and similar.
Serve this tasty pasta dish with your favorite taco toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oval Enameled Cast Iron Casserole oval enamel cast Dutch | Etsy
Dutch Oven Spoon Cherry Wood | Etsy
Fresh Pasta Garlic and Basil. Homemade fettuccine noodles. | Etsy
Taqueria Martes Spicy Taco Seasoning . Salt/Sodium Free. 3 Oz | Etsy
Quarantine Organic Spice Bundle Deluxe Six Pack | Etsy
Yes We Mexi-Can Seasoning 8 oz Volume Mexican Taco & | Etsy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 705mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 33g