Lentils are one of the most versatile protein options you can add to your menu. This easy lentil patties recipe is going to transform your menu. Not only are they ready in just 30-minutes, but they also are flavorful, packed with protein, and versatile to serve alone or as a sandwich.
- Lentil Patties Recipe
- What is the Best Lentil For This Recipe?
- Do I Need to Soak Lentils Before Cooking Them?
- Can I Use Canned Lentils?
- Can I Use Different Herbs?
- How do You Serve Lentil Patties?
- Are These Lentil Patties Vegan?
- Handy Kitchen Tools
- How to Make Homemade Lentil Patties
- More Vegetarian Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Lentil Patties Recipe
I have tried a number of different lentil burgers and patties, and these are some of the most flavorful. I like something mild so they can go with any toppings, but they shouldn't be bland.
If you like lentils and need more ideas of how to use them in your menu, make sure you check out this spicy red lentil curry recipe or this flavorful chicken Dhansak curry with lentils. Both are an excellent ways to use those extra dry lentils.
What is the Best Lentil For This Recipe?
I prefer using red lentils in recipes like this because they cook faster and soften easier. So, I can have them ready in no time rather than waiting hours for them to cook.
If you don't mind a longer cooking time, then green lentils are another popular option found in most markets. While black lentils are common in some areas, they are not easy to find in markets so not a great choice for this recipe.
Do I Need to Soak Lentils Before Cooking Them?
No. One of the benefits of using dry lentils is that they do not need to be soaked. They typically cook to a softened texture anywhere between 20 and 45 minutes. This depends upon your desired texture and the type of lentils.
For this recipe, red lentils are used which can take as little as 10 minutes up to 30-minutes to cook. They do not need to be mushy for this recipe, just cooked through and tender.
Can I Use Canned Lentils?
You can use canned lentils if you want for this recipe. They will be softer than cooking them on your own and thus may be a bit more moist and mushy in the patty.
If you use canned lentils, make sure to rinse and drain them well before adding to the rest of the recipe. If you fin the patties are too moist, you can add additional flour by the tablespoon until they are formable.
Can I Use Different Herbs?
Of course, you can mix up the flavor profile if you prefer. I like using Italian seasonings because they are delicious and readily available in my kitchen. That doesn't mean they are the only options to add to this recipe. Below are some other flavor profiles to try.
- Taco, fajita, or burrito seasoning blends.
- Greek seasoning blend.
- Cajun seasoning blend.
- Basic salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Curry powder, turmeric, and garam masala.
How do You Serve Lentil Patties?
While these are a bit more Italian in flavor, they aren't overbearing so they can go from your hamburger bun with mayonnaise to on top of pasta with my homemade pasta sauce. Below are some great ideas for how to use this recipe in unique ways.
- Replace a meat burger and top with any traditional burger toppings including condiments, lettuce, tomato, avocado, or grilled onions and peppers.
- Serve with Indian chutney's or sauces as an appetizer.
- Top with jalapeno dip or blue cheese dip for a unique flavor and difference in textures.
- Wrap in a pita with tzatziki, feta, lettuce, and tomato.
- Use in any wrap in place of meats.
Are These Lentil Patties Vegan?
As listed below, these are naturally plant-based and 100% vegan. If you choose to add Parmesan cheese to the mixture or cook in butter, then they are no longer vegan friendly.
- Vegetable oil
- Lentils (red)
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Homemade Lentil Patties
In a medium saucepan, add the rinsed lentils with ½ teaspoon salt, and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Once boiling, continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, until lentils are softened.
Drain excess liquid from the lentils and set them aside.
In a medium skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until just turning translucent.
Add the minced garlic and fresh time to the skillet and stir to combine then remove from heat.
Place ⅔ of the cooked lentils into a blender or use an immersion blender to puree until mostly smooth.
In a large bowl, add the whole and pureed lentils, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, fresh parsley, flour, and breadcrumbs together until combined completely.
Lightly oil the palms of your hands, then divide the mixture into the number of patties you want, and shape them.
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Place the patties into the oil in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden and crisp on the outside and heated through.
Remove and drain on paper towels, then repeat until all patties are cooked.
More Vegetarian Recipes
If you like having an arsenal of vegetarian recipes on hand to serve friends and family, look no further! We have some great options to add to your menu. Flavors from around the world create tasty meals that nobody will realize are meat-free. Bookmark, pin, or print the recipes below for your menu!
- Rich Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
- Comforting Dutch Oven Vegetable Stew Recipe
- The Best Veg Manchurian Recipe with Gravy
- Easy Dutch Oven Cabbage Vegetable Soup
- 5-Ingredient Spicy Garlic Pasta
- Delicious Kerala Egg Curry Recipe
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, add the rinsed lentils with ½ teaspoon salt, and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, until lentils are softened.
- Drain excess liquid from the lentils and set them aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until just turning translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and fresh time to the skillet and stir to combine then remove from heat.
- Place ⅔ of the cooked lentils into a blender or use an immersion blender to puree until mostly smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the whole and pureed lentils, Italian seasoning, paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, fresh parsley, flour, and breadcrumbs together until combined completely.
- Lightly oil the palms of your hands, then divide the mixture into the number of patties you want, and shape them.
- In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Place the patties into the oil in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden and crisp on the outside and heated through.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, then repeat until all patties are cooked.
Make the patties ahead of time and freeze on a baking sheet for 2 hours, then move to a freezer storage bag. Pull out and fry when ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System, 1200W, 3 Functions for Smoothies, Dough & Frozen Drinks with Auto-IQ, 72-oz.* Blender Pitcher, 40-oz. Processor Bowl & 18-oz. Single-Serve Cup, Grey
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 1-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan, Silver
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3-Pieces)
4 PCS Brownie pancake slotted Spatulas small egg spatula turner set silicone heat resistant long narrow Baking cookware Mini Cake cookie Bacon flipper,REUU Black Flexible Nonstick kitchen utensils
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 9gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g