This widely popular Filipino Pork Adobo dish is popular for a GOOD reason!! It uses extremely simple ingredients, is easy to make and tastes exquisite!
If you love simple recipes with massive flavors – then this one is definitely for you! And if you’re not much of a pork person – you can substitute it for chicken breast pieces and the result will still be spectacular!
The bright flavors in this recipe will surprise you when you realize you hardly need any special ingredients to make it! It’s delicious and it’s no wonder it’s one of the most popular dishes in the Philippines!
Hello everyone! Arvin and I are back with a brand new recipe for you guys!
This one is super special to Arvin since he grew up eating it! His mom makes one of the best adobos ever and this is his version of his mom’s special adobo recipe!
Adobo actually literally means marination in Spanish – and when the Spanish first came to the Philippines, they noticed this special cooking technique that the locals used which involved vinegar! And so the Adobo was named ?
[ctt title=”Check out this super delicious and easy Pork Adobo recipe by @ScrambledChefs! ” tweet=”Check out this super delicious and easy Pork Adobo recipe by @ScrambledChefs! https://ctt.ec/5a0nc+” coverup=”5a0nc”]
I’ve always had this in it’s chicken version – which is also just as amazing! You can totally substitute the pork in this recipe with chicken if you’d like – otherwise feel free to enjoy it in it’s original form in this recipe!!
Today’s chef tips are from Arvin – since he’s the Adobo expert here!
Chef Tips ?
- You can substitute chicken for pork if you’d like and cook it according to the instructions in the recipe. It’ll still taste amazing!
- If you’re using pork belly or chicken, the specified time in the recipe for boiling the meat in the water is correct – but in case you’re using a tougher meat such as lean pork, double the amount of water (i.e. use 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup) and boil till most of the water has evaporated.
So here’s the recipe:
- 400g pork belly/lean pork (alternatively: chicken breast fillets) - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes and boiled (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried/fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cardamoms
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Start off with taking oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the chopped onions and garlic, saute it and let it sweat for 1 minute.
- Add in your pork pieces and cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the while for it to cook from all sides.
- Add in the water and increase the heat to high. Let the water boil and for the pork to cook in it. (See notes)
- Decrease the heat to medium once the water has evaporated and only a little is still left in the saucepan.
- Add in all the spices, soy sauce and boiled potatoes to the pan - and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the consistency has thickened to that of a gravy.
- Serve hot with rice.
1. You can substitute chicken for pork if you'd like and cook it according to the instructions in the recipe. It'll still taste amazing!
2. If you're using pork belly or chicken, the specified time in the recipe for boiling the meat in the water is correct - but in case you're using a tougher meat such as lean pork, double the amount of water (i.e. use 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup) and boil till most of the water has evaporated.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 599 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 4194mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 38g
If you liked this recipe, you’ll absolutely LOVE our Crispy Sticky Thai Chicken Wings! These wings have a crispy outside coated with this spicy and delicious sticky sauce! It’s so delicious that you’ll be left licking your fingers in the end!! We absolutely LOVE it and so will you!