The classic peanut butter blossoms cookie is the one you always expect when someone says peanut butter cookies. I don't know where it originated, but it is by far, one of the most popular options everyone loves making and eating. A simple soft peanut butter cookie with a Hershey's kiss candy center is a perfect way to have a yummy treat! Fill your cookie jar with these for a perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate.
Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookie
One of the first cookies made around the holidays in our house has always been the peanut butter blossom cookie. I remember as a child my favorite part was placing the kiss in the center of the cookie. Your kids will probably love doing that too!
If you like the peanut butter and chocolate combination, then you might also enjoy these no-bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bars, M&M's peanut butter energy bars, or even vegan chocolate peanut butter bonbons. Of course, I even make creamy nut butter dip to have with fruit for a fun snack! Peanut butter rules my dessert menu!
Can I Use Crunchy Peanut Butter?
You sure can! You can even use almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, or the rare pistachio butter. We always used creamy but any version you want will work in this. I like the crunchy variety better for dipping foods, so always keep some on hand. Add it to this recipe if you want a little extra crunch.
Can I Add Other Mixins To This Recipe?
While you want the cookie to be fairly simple, you can mix in a few things if you want. I have made this with a few different additions and loved it, but you want to be careful to not add too much or to add too large a piece. Below are a few things that can be stirred into the dough before baking.
- Finely chopped peanuts, pecans, or walnuts.
- Mini chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or cinnamon chips.
- Crushed OREO cookies.
- Candy pieces such as Heath, Butterfinger, Reese's Pieces, or M&M's.
- Sprinkles or nonpareils.
Can You Put Different Candy in the Center?
You can definitely add a different candy to the center of your cookies. The classic Hershey's milk chocolate kiss is the one reached for most often, but you can also add other candy options to the center. Below are a few that work well in this recipe.
- White chocolate, red velvet, or dark chocolate kisses. Really - any Hershey's kiss works, especially those with different seasonal flavors or colors.
- Milk chocolate candy chunks.
- Different colored candy melt rounds. Wilton has a variety of colors used for dipping items, but they can also be used here for variety. You can grab colored candy melts in a variety of colors online or at your local store with a cake decorating department.
Can You Make These Peanut Butter Blossoms Ahead of Time?
If you want to make the cookie dough ahead of time, you can easily do so and freeze it until you are ready to bake the cookies. Baking them and then freezing also can work, but I find it better to make them fresh. When freezing the dough, wrap it well in plastic wrap then place it into a freezer storage bag. Store labeled and dated for up to 4 months in the freezer before thawing overnight in the refrigerator. Prepare as directed from there when desired.
Do I Have to Chill The Dough Before Baking?
If you want to keep the puffed round cookie shape you expect, then chilling the dough is an important part of the process. When you don't chill the dough properly, you risk it spreading out too thin and the candy not settling into it like you are hoping.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate kiss candy
- Sanding sugar
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Cookie scooper
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookies
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt then set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter at high speed for 1 minute until it is light and creamy.
Lower the speed to medium, and add in the granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat for 2 minutes until smooth.
Add the egg and continue beating at high speed until incorporated completely.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add in the peanut butter and vanilla extract and beat on high for another 1 to 2 minutes until completely incorporated.
Add the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture and mix at low speed until combined.
Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight. If freezing for later, roll into plastic wrap and bag at this point.
When ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C and line the baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Prepare a shelf in your freezer to hold the baking sheets after baking.
Roll the cookie dough into balls (scoop with a small cookie scoop).
Then roll the balls into the sanding sugar.
Place about 2" apart on the prepared baking sheet and press down slightly then bake for 10 minutes.
Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, then press a Hershey's kiss into the center of each cookie.
Place the baking sheets with cookies into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to continue cooling and prevent the chocolates from melting.
More Cookie Recipes
Cookies are truly the best part of my day. If you want to keep your cookie jar full as we do, then you may need more ideas. Below are some of the best cookie recipes we have shared here. They are sure to be delicious and loved by everyone. Make sure to bookmark, print, or in the recipes to add to your meal plan soon!
- The Best Ever Copycat DoubleTree Cookies Recipe
- Chewy Brown Butter Cookies with Walnuts
- Deliciously Chewy Almond Joy Cookies Recipe
- German Chocolate Cookies with Coconut Pecan Frosting
- The Ultimate Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies
Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookie Recipe
Make the classic peanut butter blossoms cookies using a tried and true recipe that is easy and delicious!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (160 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (3 g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (1.5 g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (115 g)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar (115 g)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 24 Hershey's milk chocolate kisses
- ½ cup sanding sugar (100 g)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt then set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter at high speed for 1 minute until it is light and creamy.
- Lower the speed to medium, and add in the granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the egg and continue beating at high speed until incorporated completely.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add in the peanut butter and vanilla extract and beat on high for another 1 to 2 minutes until completely incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture and mix at low speed until combined.
- Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight. If freezing for later, roll into plastic wrap and bag at this point.
- When ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C and line the baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Prepare a shelf in your freezer to hold the baking sheets after baking.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls (scoop with a small cookie scoop), and then roll the balls into the sanding sugar.
- Place about 2" apart on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, then press a Hershey's kiss into the center of each cookie.
- Place the baking sheets with cookies into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to continue cooling and prevent the chocolates from melting.
Make this dough ahead of time and freezer for a fast easy cookie treat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
YIHONG 6 Pcs Plastic Mixing Bowls Set, Colorful Serving Bowls for Kitchen, Ideal for Baking, Prepping, Cooking and Serving Food, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Rainbow
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Goodcook Steel Nonstick Bakeware, Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie Sheet, Multicolor
M KITCHEN WORLD Silicone Spatula Set - 4 Piece Heat Resistant Rubber Spatulas for Cooking & Baking - Nonstick Spoon Set for Kitchen Utensils - Orange
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 11 Piece. Includes 10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set and 1 Plastic Measuring Cup. Liquid Measuring Cups Set and Dry Metal Measuring Cup Set
Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer, Beaters and Whisk, with Snap-On Storage Case, White
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
HOW MUCH PEANUT BUTTER????
1/2 cup peanut butter