My mozzarella and thyme savory pull-apart bread recipe is perfect for any holiday gathering. It can feed a hungry family or keep guests satisfied at a party! This delicious dish is more than just a centerpiece.
It's also easy to make and tastes great. You'll find yourself coming back to this recipe time and again for holidays, potlucks, or anytime you want something savory that everyone will love. It’s perfect as an appetizer or snack and it makes a great centerpiece for your holiday table.
Pull Apart Bread Recipe
The holidays are just around the corner and it's time to start thinking of what you're going to be cooking. One dish that's perfect for any holiday gathering is savory pull-apart bread. This recipe has all the flavors of Thanksgiving in one loaf.
If your family likes a side of bread with their meal, then this is a great choice that is a bit more complex than our homemade cheesy garlic bread recipe, but just as delicious!
What Do I Serve This Bread With?
One thing about this easy bread recipe is that you can serve it with almost any meal. It can go alongside bacon and eggs at breakfast to replace toast, all the way to a side with your favorite roasted chicken dinner.
It often makes an appearance with things like this sheet pan roasted chicken and veggies recipe or even my favorite Instant Pot roast recipe. Basically, you can serve this with any meal or just as a snack!
What Other Herbs Can I Add to My Bread?
This recipe includes thyme which is a classic Thanksgiving flavor but it also tastes great all year long. There are many other herbs that you can use instead of thyme. Below are some of my favorites to add to this for a unique flavor. Use fresh or dried herbs depending upon availability.
- Flat leaf parsley
And if you want more spice to the bread, below are some other additions that turn out great.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Taco seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- Greek seasoning
Can I Use Different Cheeses on Pull Apart Bread?
Mozzarella is a great cheese to use in this savory pull-apart bread but there are many other options out there.
Cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan, and provolone are all excellent choices for this recipe. Pick your favorite or experiment with several to find the flavors that you enjoy best. Changing up the herbs and cheeses is a great way to make this recipe taste and feel like your own.
Hint: You can even mix the cheese into the dough in small amounts for that melty goodness in every bite!
- Warm water
- Powdered milk
- All-purpose flour
- Dried thyme
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- Dried oregano
- Unsalted butter
- Sesame seeds
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Mozzarella and Thyme Pull Apart Bread.
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine warm water, yeast, sugar, powdered milk, and 2 cups of flour together. Let this stand for 10-minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
To the yeast mixture, add the dried thyme, salt, olive oil, and the remaining 4 cups of scooped and leveled flour.
If using a stand mixer, add the dough hook, and then let the mixture knead for 10-minutes using the hook. Scrape the sides if needed until the dough ball forms.
If kneading by hand, mix until a dough forms, then lay it out onto a clean lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until a smooth dough has formed.
In a small bowl, mix together the mozzarella, olive oil, and dried oregano.
Lightly flour a clean surface, then place your dough on top of it and roll into a ½" thin rectangle.
Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter, then cover with the mozzarella cheese mixture.
Roll the dough away from you into a long log with the cheese filling in the mixture (similar to a cinnamon roll).
Cut into 1" rounds then place into the prepared baking dish nestled against each other.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water.
Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash. Then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered.
Cover and return to the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
If serving hot, be careful of cheese being molten inside.
I am always looking for ways to make my time in the kitchen shorter. Shortcuts definitely help. This savory pull-apart bread can be made with homemade or store-bought bread dough - either way, it will taste great.
If you've made the dough yourself, you will follow the recipe as it is. If you decide to make this recipe with frozen bread dough, you will follow the directions on the package, then shape as the recipe says.
If you plan on serving this within 24 hours of baking it, then you can leave it out on the counter in an airtight container or bag.
However, if you have leftovers or want to serve the dish later in the week, then I recommend that you store whatever is leftover in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You may even want to add a piece of parchment paper between it and the lid to avoid any cheese from drying out.
This bread will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days if it is wrapped in plastic or stored in an airtight container. You may find that it tastes even better after sitting in the fridge overnight.
If you plan on serving this dish at a gathering, make sure you bake it at least 4 hours before you want to serve it. This gives the flavors time to blend together and makes them taste even better.
More Bread Recipes
Bread is such a huge part of my life. It's one of the first things I ever learned to make. So, of course, I like including tasty options here for you to try. Below are some more of my favorite savory bread options to make and share with your family!
- The Best Homemade Naan Recipe
- Homemade Japanese Milk Bread Recipe
- The Best Ever Soft Potato Bread Recipe
- Homemade Crescent Rolls from Scratch
- The Best Copycat Hawaiian Rolls Recipe
Mozzarella & Thyme Savory Pull Apart Bread Recipe
This delicious mozzarella and thyme savory pull apart bread is a delicious yeast bread that doesn't require hours of rising! A perfect weeknight homemade bread recipe!
Ingredients for Bread
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons of dry active yeast
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry powdered milk
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup olive oil
Ingredients for Filling
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine warm water, yeast, sugar, powdered milk, and 2 cups of flour together. Let this stand for 10-minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- To the yeast mixture, add the dried thyme, salt, olive oil, and the remaining 4 cups of scooped and leveled flour.
- If using a stand mixer, add the dough hook, and then let the mixture knead for 10-minutes using the hook. Scrape the sides if needed until the dough ball forms.
- If kneading by hand, mix until a dough forms, then lay it out onto a clean lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until a smooth dough has formed.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mozzarella, olive oil, and dried oregano.
- Lightly flour a clean surface, then place your dough on top of it and roll into a ½" thin rectangle.
- Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter, then cover with the mozzarella cheese mixture.
- Roll the dough away from you into a long log with the cheese filling in the mixture (similar to a cinnamon roll).
- Cut into 1" rounds then place into the prepared baking dish nestled against each other.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash. Then top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Cover and return to the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- If serving hot, be careful of cheese being molten inside.
If using fresh herbs in place of dried, remember it is a 3 to 1 ratio. You will use 3 times the amount fresh as you would dry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KP26M1XER 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Empire Red
Replacement Dough Hook Fits for KitchenAid Mixer, K45DH C Dough Hook for K45 K45SS KSM90 KSM150 K5SS KitchenAid 4.5/5.0 Quart Bowel Tilt Head Stand Mixers
Rolling Pin and Silicone Baking Pastry Mat Set, Stainless Steel Dough Roller, Rolling Pins with Adjustable Thickness Rings, for Baking Dough, Pizza, Pie, Pastries, Pasta, Cookies
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, Rectangular Cake Pan, 13" x 9", Turquoise
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Join the Discussion