I am a self-proclaimed carboholic and that means that bread of all kinds is always appealing to me. This, however, is the best ever ultimate homemade cheesy garlic bread that is going to be an appetizer, side, or snack that you will love. Loaded with rich garlic, a bit of saltiness, and just enough cheese to elevate it to the next level of deliciousness.
Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
You probably have garlic bread every time you serve up pasta, and usually, pick it up in the bakery section or perhaps the frozen food department. Both kinds are tasty, but this, well, it's just incredible. It is soft on the inside, crisp on the outside, plus a bit chewy, and has all of this amazing savory umami happening in every single bite. You are going to absolutely love how this adds to your meal.
What is the Best Bread to Make Garlic Bread?
There are tons of options for the base of your garlic bread. The choice I usually reach for and recommend here is a basic French bread loaf. That isn't the only choice that works though. You can easily use any bread you have on hand, but below are a few that are better options.
- French bread, baguettes, or uncut loaves of bread.
- Individual sliced bread that has been buttered on a single side and on lay on the baking sheet.
- Cheese bread, herbed bread, or basic white bread dough or uncut loaf.
Should I Use Fresh Garlic or Garlic Powder?
The great thing about this recipe is that it uses both! The garlic powder helps flavor the butter deeply and the fresh garlic adds that stronger flavor throughout. I prefer the combination of both in this recipe, and how they pair well to create a great overall flavor.
If you don't have garlic powder on hand, you can add additional fresh garlic. Alternately, if you don't have fresh garlic, you can use jarred minced garlic or potentially add additional garlic powder if you wish. The flavor will be different, but still delicious.
Do I Have to Use Salted Butter?
If you don't keep salted butter on hand, you can use unsalted butter and add ½ teaspoon of salt. Another option is to replace the garlic powder with garlic salt instead. Both options work well to add that saltiness.
While I prefer using real butter, you can use non-dairy butter or margarine if that is all you have on hand. Both options will give similar results, just not as rich as real butter would make the bread.
What Cheeses Go On Garlic Bread?
You can use any cheese you prefer, but I used cheddar and mozzarella. There are other combinations that can give different results and still be tasty. Depending upon what you have on hand, you can mix and match the cheese additions to create new flavors. The goal is to have at least 2 full cups of cheese spread over the two slices of bread loaves. Below are a few other types that can be used for this recipe.
- Colby jack
- Pepper jack
What Should I Serve Garlic Bread With?
When I think about cheesy bread or garlic bread, my mind automatically goes to pasta and Italian dishes. Those are usually the best as it fits well with the garlic and Italian seasoning. Plus, you can always use the bread to soak up the leftover sauce on your plate! Below are a few ideas that go well with this bread and could be a good fit.
- Easy 30-Minute Chicken Pasta Primavera Recipe
- Savory Parmesan Fennel Italian Wedding Soup
- Quick and Easy Spaghetti Bolognese
- 5-Ingredient Spicy Garlic Pasta
- Homemade All-Purpose Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Quick and Easy Sundried Tomatoes and Garlic Pasta
Can I Make This Ahead of Time and Freeze for Later?
Yes! One thing I like about this is that it can be just as convenient as the frozen options you may usually reach for. While you can bake and freeze this, I find that the easier and best method is to prepare up to baking, and instead wrap it and freeze.
When working with full French loaf bread, I will slice, slather with the butter, top with cheese, then wrap the entire loaf tightly with plastic wrap. I then place the plastic wrap into large freezer storage bags or wrap them in aluminum foil. If you can't find bags large enough, slice the loaf in half before wrapping it to freeze. Label the loaves and date them. Store for up to 4 months in the freezer. To bake, just pop into the oven as directed and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- French bread
- Salted butter
- Garlic powder
- Garlic cloves
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Mixing bowl
- Garlic press
- Chefs knives
- Cutting board
How Do You Make Cheesy Garlic Bread From Scratch?
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Slice the French bread loaf lengthwise then place onto the baking sheet.
In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic powder, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning until well combined.
Using an offset spatula or spoon, spread the butter mixture over the bread coating the side facing upwards evenly.
Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella and cheddar in an even layer.
Place into the oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Move to the top rack and broil on high for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
Remove and top with fresh chopped parsley.
Allow the bread to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve.
More Tasty Recipes
If you like this, then you may enjoy some of the other yummy bread recipes we've made before. There are tons of great homemade options that can be added to your meal plan. Below are a few favorites that fit with many different meals on your menu!
- The Best Ever Soft Potato Bread Recipe
- Best Homemade Crescent Rolls from Scratch
- The Best Homemade Naan Bread Recipe
- Best Copycat Hawaiian Rolls Recipe
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice the French bread loaf lengthwise then place onto the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic powder, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning until well combined.
- Using an offset spatula or spoon, spread the butter mixture over the bread coating the side facing upwards evenly.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese over the top of the butter mixture in an even layer.
- Place into the oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
- Move to the top rack and broil on high for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Remove and top with fresh chopped parsley.
- Allow the bread to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Prepare in bulk ahead of time, wrap, and freeze for up to 4 months before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
GRIDMANN Pro Silicone Baking Mat - Set of 2 Non-Stick Half Sheet (16-½" x 11-⅝") Food Safe Tray Pan Liners
OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
Hiware 200-Piece Parchment Paper Baking Sheets 12 x 16 Inch, Precut Non-Stick Parchment Sheets for Baking, Cooking, Grilling, Air Fryer and Steaming - Unbleached, Fit for Half Sheet Pans
Wilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set, Rectangle Steel Sheet Pan, Charcoal
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen