This recipe for sheet pan roasted chicken and veggies is a very easy and quick way to make dinner. The dish is healthy and packed with all kinds of healthy ingredients. Sheet pan dinners are a great choice for time-crunched weeknights when you don't want to spend hours in the kitchen! With chicken breasts, broccoli, and carrots the base, it's a perfect budget-friendly meal that is mom and kid-approved!
Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
Sheet pan meals are some of my favorites for weeknights. I like being able to toss everything onto a pan and pop it into the oven. This recipe is a great healthy dinner option for busy nights and is ideal for those who are unsure about cooking at home. Plus, it's an excellent way to get in extra vegetables in your meal plan.
If you want a few more ideas for using the sheet pan to create dinner, check out this easy herbed sheet pan chicken thighs with mushrooms recipe, or this big list of sheet pan chicken dinners for more inspiration.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts Instead?
Chicken breasts are easy to find and preferred by many, so they easily make a great substitute in this recipe. In most recipes, I tend to use chicken thighs rather than chicken breast. Thighs are more flavorful than chicken breast.
Thigh meat is darker, so it's a richer tasting option for this recipe. They're also juicier and stay tender, so when baking, they are often what is reached for. If you choose to use chicken breasts instead, you will want to adjust the baking time depending on if you use boneless skinless or bone-in skin-on breasts. Just make sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
What Vegetables Can I Add to This Sheet Pan Meal?
This recipe includes potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, and green beans. You can add whatever other vegetables that you like. I like to change things up sometimes and add carrots. But you can also add things like jalapeno peppers to give it a bit of a kick. Below are a few more ideas that work great with this recipe.
When changing out the vegetables you add to this dish, you will want to make sure you adjust the cooking time as needed. Many items only need 15 minutes to bake, and thus you may need to adjust the cooking time so they aren't overcooked.
What is in Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning usually includes some combination of oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, sage, and savory. You can often find this combined in an Italian Seasoning combination or you can add your own amount of the seasonings
Since some people like some of the seasonings in the mix but not all, they opt to create their own Italian Seasoning Mix, and that way they can adjust the flavors to their own preferences. When making it at home myself, I like to add in onion powder and garlic powder so it's more complete for Italian recipes.
Can I Season This Sheet Pan Recipe With Different Herbs?
It is easy to change up the type of seasoning in this recipe. You can use whatever you prefer including your favorite seasonings or use premade mixes that you like. There are a lot of premade mixes that have a great flavor combination. Below are a few other fun options that can amp up the flavor in this recipe.
- Taco or fajita seasoning
- Creole/Cajun seasoning
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Greek seasoning
- Mrs. Dash or similar salt-free seasoning blends
- Montreal Steak seasoning blend
Can I Make This in My Air Fryer Instead?
Yes! If you have an air fryer, you can definitely make this type of meal in it. It won't be a "sheet pan meal" any longer, but the flavors and basic cooking options are the same. Depending upon the type of air fryer you have, you will possibly need to do this in two batches with meat in one and vegetables in the second.
The key to using an air fryer is to reduce the recipe temperature by 25 to 50 degrees and decrease the cooking time by 20%. Since the air fryer circulates hot air around the meal that is kept consistent, it will cook things a bit faster.
For the chicken, you would cook at 375° to 380°F for 15 to 18 minutes for typical full-sized breasts. Then you would cook the vegetables for 10 minutes, shake or stir, and continue cooking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes until preferred doneness.
- Chicken thighs or breasts
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Baby potatoes
- Broccoli florets
- Green beans
- Bell pepper
Optional: fresh herbs for garnish
Handy Kitchen Tools
- Baking sheet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Meat thermometer
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
How to Make a Chicken and Vegetables Sheet Pan Meal
Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicone baking mat for easy cleanup.
Pat the chicken with a paper towel to remove excess moisture then generously season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper over all sides.
Brush the tops of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Place the chicken thighs skin side up onto the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes.
While the chicken begins to cook, toss the vegetables in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and the Italian seasoning blend.
Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a plate then discard any excess juices on the baking sheet.
Place the chicken thighs together in the center of the sheet pan then spread the vegetables evenly on both sides of the pan.
Reduce the oven heat to 375° F and continue cooking the chicken and vegetables for 30 to 35 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken reaches 165°F internally.
Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs then let stand for 5-minutes before serving.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Need more ideas for your meal plan? Check out these great recipes for chicken that are packed with flavor and sure to be a hit with everyone at your dinner table. Make sure you bookmark, pin, or print these recipes to make soon!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Creamy Chicken Marsala 30-Minute Meal
- Braised Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 30-Minute Garlic Butter Chicken with Asparagus
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 lb baby potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cup green beans,
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicone baking mat for easy cleanup.
- Pat the chicken with a paper towel to remove excess moisture then generously season with ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and ½ teaspoon black pepper over all sides.
- Brush the tops of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side up onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken begins to cook, toss the vegetables in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½easpoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a plate then discard any excess juices on the baking sheet.
- Place the chicken thighs together in the center of the sheet pan then spread the vegetables evenly on both sides of the pan.
- Reduce the oven heat to 375° F and continue cooking the chicken and vegetables for 30 to 35 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken reaches 165°F internally.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs then let stand for 5-minutes before serving.
Air Fryer Chicken and Veggies
- Season the chicken and vegetables as directed above.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375° to 380°F.
- Air fry the chicken for 10 minutes, then turn and continue cooking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes until the internal temperature is 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and set it aside.
- Place the vegetables into the air fryer, then cook for 10 minutes, shake or stir, and continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes until tender.
Mix and match any vegetables you prefer with this meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
imarku Chef Knife - Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knives High Carbon German Stainless Steel Sharp Paring Knife with Ergonomic Handle
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Cutting Board) Cheese and Vegetables (Natural)
ThermoPro TP03H Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grilling Waterproof Kitchen Food Thermometer with Calibration & Backlight Smoker Oil Fry Candy Thermometer
Amazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 2
FAVIA Nesting Measuring Cups and Spoons Set with Funnel Plastic BPA Free Dishwasher Safe (10 Pieces)
BINO Bakeware Nonstick Cookie Sheet Baking Tray Set, 3-Piece - Speckled Gunmetal | Premium Quality Baking Sheet Set with Nonstick Technology | Non-Toxic
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 14g