There is nothing that makes me happier in life than cheesecake. Seeing this sopapilla cheesecake creation brings another favorite dessert to life creating the ultimate fusion of flavors. This simple recipe is ready from start to finish in under an hour and is always a hit at the dinner table.
- Sopapilla Cheesecake
- What is a Sopapilla?
- Can I Use Whipped Cream Cheese for Cheesecake?
- What Toppings Can I Serve This With?
- Does This Sopapilla Cheesecake Use Tortillas?
- Handy Kitchen Tools
- How to Make a Sopapilla Cheesecake
- How Long is Sopapilla Cheesecake Good For?
- More Delicious Cheesecake Recipes
- Creamy Sopapilla Cheesecake with Puff Pastry
I love desserts that are delicious yet don't take a lot of effort. The idea of cheesecake usually makes me think of hours in the kitchen and then waiting overnight for it to set before actually getting to enjoy it. This sopapilla cheesecake is so much faster and ready to eat almost immediately.
While you can refrigerate and serve this cold, it's okay to make and serve warm. The texture isn't like a traditional New York style cheesecake, but close and delicious when warm. Of course, if you want something that takes a bit of time to set up but doesn't require any baking, you might like this classic no-bake cheesecake instead.
What is a Sopapilla?
A traditional sopapilla is a Mexican dessert made of a deep-fried square of dough that puffs up creating a pocket inside. It is then dusted in cinnamon sugar and drizzled with honey or chocolate before serving warm.
This uses a similar flavor and dough for the crusts to give the illusion of the sopapilla flavor alongside a creamy cheesecake. In some restaurants, a similar dessert is made using actual sopapilla dough filled with cream cheese and deep-fried to create a fried cheesecake. This is similar, however, baked rather than fried.
Can I Use Whipped Cream Cheese for Cheesecake?
While whipped cream cheese is great for spreading onto toast or your bagel, it is not what you need when making this cheesecake. The whipped product is truly whipped with air, so would not give the density you want in the cheesecake filling.
Instead, use traditional blocks of cream cheese and simply let them sit at room temperature for 30-minutes to soften before mixing for the filling to this cake. If you don't have time for it to soften on the counter, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and use the lowest setting in 30-second increments until just softened.
What Toppings Can I Serve This With?
The sopapilla cheesecake is absolutely perfect all by itself, but let's be honest, we like those little extras, especially on desserts. So, below you will find some other options to top your cheesecake when serving.
- Additional cinnamon sugar.
- Warmed honey, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, or butterscotch syrup.
- Fresh fruit or fruit compotes from peaches, strawberries, blueberries, blackberies, or rapsberries.
- Dusting of powdered sugar or unsweetened cocoa powder over the top.
- Homemade whipped cream or whipped topping.
Consider anything you might add to a regular cheesecake and try it on top of or alongside this. Anything from syrups to sprinkles and curds or jams can be added to make a new flavor and texture come to life.
Does This Sopapilla Cheesecake Use Tortillas?
No. While there are some versions of this that use flour tortillas for the "crust" this version is much better, at least in my opinion.
The puff pastry is a fast and easy option you can buy ready-made in the freezer section of your grocery store. Plus, it has a sweetness that lends itself to desserts perfectly.
And, if you have leftover puff pastry, you can just make this puff pastry custard whipped cream cake.
- Puff pastry
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Brown sugar
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make a Sopapilla Cheesecake
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper (this helps make it easier to lift out to serve).
Place one sheet of puff pastry into the bottom of the baking pan and use a fork to poke holes over it.
Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, and cornstarch until creamy and smooth.
Pour the cream cheese mixture over the baked puff pastry. Spread evenly.
Top with the second piece of puff pastry, making sure it tucks around the edges of the cheesecake filling.
Poke the top of the pastry with a fork.
Spread melted butter over the top of the puff pastry.
Stir together the cinnamon and sugar then sprinkle over the top of the buttered pastry.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and the cheesecake is set.
Cool completely before slicing to serve. Can be served warm or chilled.
How Long is Sopapilla Cheesecake Good For?
As with most cheesecakes, this needs to be refrigerated for safety. It will last, covered properly, 3 to 4 days when refrigerated.
While the filling may be good for up to 7 days, I find that the puff pastry gets soggy after 4 days and makes it undesirable. Thus, I only recommend eating within 4 days of baking.
More Delicious Cheesecake Recipes
Cheesecake is my ultimate favorite dessert of all time. Whether it is the classic slow-baked version or a simple no-bake option you whip up in minutes, cheesecake happens to be the key to my heart. Below are some incredible options you can add to your menu to satisfy your cheesecake cravings. Bookmark, pin, or print these to make soon!
- The Best Chocolate Cheesecake with Homemade Ganache
- Roasted Blueberry Cheesecake with Candied Meyer Lemon
- Delicious Banana Pudding Cheesecake with Chessman Cookies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe with Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- No Bake Orange Vanilla Creamsicle Cheesecake
- Fluffy No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tabelspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper (this helps make it easier to lift out to serve).
- Place one sheet of puff pastry into the bottom of the baking pan and use a fork to poke holes over it. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, and cornstarch until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the baked puff pastry. Spread evenly.
- Top with the second piece of puff pastry, making sure it tucks around the edges of the cheesecake filling.
- Poke the top of the pastry with a fork.
- Spread melted butter over the top of the puff pastry.
- Stir together the cinnamon and sugar then sprinkle over the top of the buttered pastry.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and the cheesecake is set.
- Cool completely before slicing to serve. Can be served warm or chilled.
Add 1 tablespoon honey to the melted butter before spreading over the puff pastry before baking for a more authentic sopapilla flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nonstick Rectangle Cake Pan - 9 x 13 Baking Pan - Perfect Rectangular Cake Pan for Brownies, Cakes, Casseroles - Durable, Warp Resistant, Even Baking Design - Food-Safe Quick Release Nonstick Coating
Cuisinart HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Cook with Color Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Pastry Brush Silicone Cooking Set - Pack of 4 Pcs Different Sized Pastry Brushes 1 Spatula 1 Bottle Brush with Cap-Oil Butter Chocolate Sauce Cooking Basting Brushes 6 Pcs Set-Barbeque Bastingbrush
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g