Pancakes are a breakfast staple for many people. Cinnamon roll pancakes take the traditional pancake and turn it into something special. This recipe is a delightful combination of semi-homemade pancakes with simple icing that is reminiscent of the popular restaurant pancakes.
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
These pancakes are fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside – just like a good cinnamon roll should be! These pancakes bring together all the best flavors of a classic cinnamon roll pancake so it can make your taste buds sing.
There are simple ways to change up these pancakes to make them absolutely amazing. Serve them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Once you have made these pancakes at home, there is no way you are going out to eat.
If breakfast is your favorite time of the day like it is mine, then you might also enjoy this amazing recipe for oven-baked bacon to go alongside these cinnamon roll pancakes!
What do I Serve With Cinnamon Roll Pancakes?
These pancakes go well with just about anything that you would serve with breakfast. Of course, you can serve them alongside any breakfast meat. Bacon, ham, and sausage are most common, but that doesn't have to be all you add to the side of this recipe.
I always recommend adding a side of fruit at breakfast, and with this recipe, you might also want to serve it with some of this homemade Instant Pot yogurt. You could serve it on the side or even over the top.
Other options include scrambled, fried, or boiled eggs. I like something a bit different like this tomato frittata with fontina or this loaded vegetable frittata to add some protein and vegetables to the meal.
What Should I Top My Pancakes With?
Cinnamon roll pancakes are delicious enough to eat as they are, but that doesn't mean that you can't add some extra flare. Below are some of my favorite things to add on top of these pancakes.
- Maple syrup, pancake syrup, or honey.
- Chocolate syrup, butterscotch syrup, or caramel syrup.
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries.
- Canned pie filling like apple pie filling, peach pie filling, or even blueberry pie filling.
- Powdered sugar.
- Homemade whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Vanilla or cream cheese glaze or frosting.
You can also add a few mix in's to the pancake batter. Chopped pecans and walnuts are common as well as raisins or mini chocolate chips.
- Pancake mix
- Canned cinnamon rolls
- Butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray
For Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Prepare pancake mix according to package directions for a batch of 8 pancakes.
Open the canned biscuits and separate them from each other and loosen them so they are slightly unrolled. Place on a plate and set aside. Discard the canned icing or set it aside to come to room temperature if using.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick butter-flavored cooking spray.
Place the loosened cinnamon roll on the skillet.
Pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter over the top of the cinnamon roll, making sure to pour in between the opened layers of the roll.
Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet, to the side of the pancake but not in or on the batter, then cover with lid.
Let steam for 2 to 3 minutes, until the water evaporates and the butter is bubbling on top.
Flip the pancake, then add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cover again.
Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Remove from the skillet and set aside to keep warm.
Repeat with all of the cinnamon rolls.
How to Make Cream Cheese Glaze
In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until well combined and desired thickness. Can thin with additional milk to make it easier for drizzling.
Spread or drizzle over pancakes before serving.
While they taste almost exactly like the Cheesecake Factory cinnamon roll pancakes, they aren't identical. I use a simple canned cinnamon roll base with pancake batter over the top. The result is the same flavors with half the work.
I still consider these a copycat as they are so similar and have the same flavors, including a simple icing on top. It's easy to whip these up instead of taking the trip to your local restaurant! Plus this recipe is a lot cheaper and easily serves the whole family!
When you first place the pancake batter on your griddle or pan, the bottom starts to bake. As it cooks, the pancakes will start to make bubbles that pop. After around 2-3 minutes the bubbles will begin to pop more rapidly. At this point, you can flip your pancake and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes. The other side will start to get brown, which is how you know that it’s done cooking.
Store leftover pancakes in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To refresh them, place them on a plate in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to warm through. You can also freeze pancakes. Separate each one with waxed paper, then place in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months.
More Pancake Recipes
Pancakes are one of, if not the most, popular breakfast recipes for good reason. They are delicious! If you want something a bit different or perhaps just traditional, below you will find some of our other popular pancake recipes to give a try. Make sure to bookmark, pin, or print these recipes to make soon!
- Kid-Friendly Banana Pancake Dippers
- Super Easy Boston Cream Pancakes
- The Best Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
- Fast and Fluffy American Pancakes
- The Best Fluffy Pancakes for Sunday Brunch
Ingredients for Pancakes
- 5-count Pilsbury GRANDS cinnamon rolls, canned)
- 2 to 3 cups prepared pancake mix, (amount needed for 8 to 10 pancakes)
- ¼ to ½ cup water
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Prepare pancake mix according to package directions for a batch of 8 pancakes.
- Open the canned biscuits and separate them from each other and loosen them so they are slightly unrolled. Place on a plate and set aside. Discard the canned icing or set it aside to come to room temperature if using.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Place the loosened cinnamon roll on the skillet and pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter over the top of the cinnamon roll, making sure to pour in between the opened layers of the roll.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet, to the side of the pancake but not in or on the batter, then cover with lid.
- Let steam for 2 to 3 minutes, until the water evaporates and the butter is bubbling on top.
- Flip the pancake, then add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cover again.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside to keep warm.
- Repeat with all of the cinnamon rolls.
How to Make Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until well combined and desired thickness. Can thin with additional milk to make it easier for drizzling.
- Spread or drizzle over pancakes before serving.
- This works best with the larger canned cinnamon rolls such as the 5-count can of Grands cinnamon rolls.
- Keep the pan at medium to low heat so as not to overcook the batter but still allow the cinnamon roll to cook through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cook with Color Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Pancake Spatula Silicone Turner for Nonstick Cookware. Flexible Extra Wide Spatula for Pancake, Egg and Omelette. Large Pancake Flipper. Heat Resistant for Kitchen.
Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle With Removable Handles,Black
Cuisinart HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, Brushed Chrome