Waking up on Saturday mornings to a plate of fluffy pancakes and a side of bacon is one of my favorite ways to start my weekend. This simple homemade fluffy pancake recipe is going to become a favorite for your family. These are super easy to whip up and make, plus don't require any special ingredients. I love that I can make these in minutes and always have the ingredients on hand. Whether you serve these for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner, your family will love seeing these on the table.
Fluffy Pancakes Recipe
Every mom has a homemade pancake recipe they reach for when making them for family. This one is mine. The standard pancake is slightly sweet, nice and fluffy, and golden brown while still being soft. If you want that, and something easy, this is the recipe to stash away for your next pancake breakfast.
It's so easy, in fact, that my teenage son was able to make these all on his own when he was just 8 or 9 years old. A few quick measurements, some simple stirring of the batter, and you have everything needed to create a breakfast the whole family is going to beg for over and over again.
How do You Make Pancakes Fluffier?
The key to truly fluffy pancakes is in the leavening agent(s) you use. For this recipe, a combination of baking powder and salt are my choices. Some like to replace the liquid with sparkling water to add air, but I like to rely on good old trusty baking powder.
Another key to fluffy pancakes, in my opinion, is to let the batter rest for a few minutes before you begin pouring onto the griddle. This lets everything combine and the baking powder goes to work a bit better.
Can I Add Different Flavors to These Pancakes?
Of course, you can make these different flavors with just a few little additions. Our family loves adding fruits and spices to our pancakes, and this makes a great base. You can add any of your favorites to the batter, but below are a few of my favorite additions.
- Use different flavored extracts in place of vanilla.
- Replace the vanilla extract with ¼-1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder for a stronger vanilla taste.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pumpkin spice blend, or apple pie spice to the batter.
- Pour the batter onto the griddle, then top with a few blueberries, diced apples, banana slices, or chocolate chips.
- Add ⅓-1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter before cooking.
- Mix in shredded coconut flakes.
- Replace ¼ cup of the milk with crushed pineapple or mashed banana.
- Stir in cooked crumbled bacon and replace the sugar with maple syrup.
- Replace ¼-1/2 cup of the liquid with pumpkin puree.
What are the Best Pancake Toppings?
There are probably thousands of combinations you can use to add to your pancakes. Some of the items listed above work as toppings as well as mix-ins to your batter. However, below are the standard toppings we reach for that your family might also enjoy.
- Maple syrup, blueberry syrup, raspberry syrup, strawberry syrup, chocolate syrup, or honey.
- Whipped cream, whipped topping, or vanilla ice cream.
- Apple pie filling, peach pie filling, cherry pie filling, or blueberry pie filling.
- Powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, or cinnamon sugar.
- Sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, sliced peaches, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
Can These Be Frozen?
Pancakes are one of my favorite foods to make in large batches then freeze for fast breakfasts later. The batter itself isn't great to freeze, but the actual pancakes are perfect for freezing.
When making a double or triple batch of pancakes, I like to lay them out on a lined baking sheet then pop into the freezer for 1 hour. This hardens them just enough to then stack together into a freezer storage container or plastic storage bag without them sticking or getting broken. I especially like to stack them in servings of 2-3 pancakes separated by wax paper. Then, they can be placed in a gallon sized plastic freezer bag that has been dated and labeled.
When ready to eat them, just pop out the number wanted, lay on a microwave safe plate and microwave in 30-second increments until heated through. They are good for up to 4 months when stored in the freezer.
Is it Better to Cook Pancakes in Butter or Oil?
You can use either option to cook pancakes, but there are a few things to consider first. The milk solids in the butter will burn easily, so, if you want to use butter for flavor or convenience, use clarified butter or ghee.
When using oil, reach for vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, or coconut oil for best results. These are all complimentary in flavor to the pancakes but also won't burn as readily as some oils.
Ideally, however, you will have access to a nonstick skillet or griddle that can be wiped with just a bit of oil or sprayed with a non-stick spray instead of coating with a lot of oil or butter.
- Baking powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Fluffy Pancakes from Scratch
In a small bowl, combine room temperature milk and apple cider vinegar together then set aside.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg, butter, vanilla, and sugar together.
Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture stirring to combine.
Pour the milk and vinegar solution into the bowl with the flour and egg, then stir together until the batter forms. It will be thick and slightly lumpy.
Heat a non-stick pan or griddle then brush with vegetable oil or butter as chosen.
Ladle the batter onto the griddle and watch for bubbles to begin to form and the bottom to start browning.
Flip the pancakes and then cook until golden on the other side. This is usually around 2 minutes per side.
Serve with desired toppings.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Roll Ups
- Boston Cream Pancakes
- The Perfect Banana Bread
- The Easiest Oven Baked Bacon Recipe
- Decadent Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Fluffy Homemade Belgian Waffle Recipe
- The Best French Toast Recipe You'll Ever Make
- How to Make Basic Crepes Perfect Every Time
If you plan to make pancakes on a regular basis, I highly recommend investing in a quality griddle. They make cooking multiple pancakes at one time much easier and always cook them perfectly.
The Best Fluffy Pancakes for Sunday Brunch
Make the best fluffy pancakes with this easy to follow foolproof recipe. A light fluffy pancake that is ideal for adding your own preferred syrups and toppings!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional for Serving
- Whipped cream
- Combine room temperature milk and vinegar together in a small bowl and set aside;
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt;
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg, butter, vanilla, and sugar;
- Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture;
- Pour in the milk mixture (it will now be buttermilk), and stir until mostly combined, there will be lumps and the batter is thick;
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat, and brush with vegetable oil or butter;
- Ladle ¼ batter onto the pan or griddle per pancake;
- When the pancake is beginning to bubble on top, flip and then cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side or until golden (each pancake will take 4-5 minutes;
- Serve the pancakes hot with syrup and your favorite toppings.
To keep pancakes warm before serving, place on a lined baking sheet and put into the oven on 180°F
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Norpro Grip-EZ Flexible Pancake Spatula
Whiskware Pancake Batter Mixer with BlenderBall Wire Whisk
Norpro Batter Dispenser
Cuisinart CCP-1000 Pre-Seasoned Grilling, Cast Iron Griddle Pan, 10"
Emoji Smiley Face Pancake Pan - Non-stick Pan Cake Griddle with 7 Unique Flapjack Faces
Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle With Removable Handles, Black, 22-inch
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 751mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 11g
Join the Discussion