If you have a waffle maker in your pantry, it's time to start using it! They are great for not just waffles but making all sorts of yummy items, including these super crispy tater tot waffle sticks. This is a great way to serve up tater tots differently Whether used at breakfast, lunch, or dinnertime, this will have your tots crispy and delicious in no time!
Tater Tot Waffle Sticks
In the words of Napolean Dynamite, "Give me some of your tots". Tater tots have long been a freezer staple in our house because they lend themselves to being used as a side dish, within a recipe, or even as the base for yummy nachos. With this easy method, anyone can whip up a batch for easy dunking in no time at all!
If you are a potato fan like I am, then you may also want to check out this delicious cottage fries recipe or the list of potato side dish recipes. In my house, the potato a must with many meals, and now you have even more versatility!
Do I Have to Spray the Waffle Maker First?
While not all waffle makers are made the same, most have a Teflon coating of some sort. I, however, always spray lightly with cooking spray whether I am using mine for waffles or something like these tater tot sticks.
You can also spread butter or shortening over the waffle maker to grease it before turning it on so food won't stick while you are cooking.
What Should I Serve Tater Tot Waffle Sticks With?
When it comes to how you eat these, you can serve them alone, as a side dish, part of breakfast, with lunch, or even dinner. There are literally tons of ways you can eat these and foods they go well alongside. Some of my favorites are below.
- At breakfast alongside oven-baked bacon and a fresh blueberry muffin.
- As a side dish to blackened chicken breast, the best barbecue chicken, or even pulled pork sandwiches.
- Served as the base for chili, soups, or nachos.
What Dipping Sauces Go With Tater Tots?
Potatoes go with almost anything! These are excellent with the classics but could be dressed up with all manner of tasty options for dipping. Get creative and offer up a variety for your family to try.
- Hot sauce or sriracha
- Ranch dressing
- Jalapeno dip
- Honey mustard
- Cheese sauce or queso
- Barbecue sauce
- Maple syrup
Can I Season These Differently?
Definitely! Potatoes are super easy to customize with tons of different options for flavors. Tater tots are no different. Just because you are making them in a waffle iron doesn't mean you can't add some seasoning to pep up the flavor while cooking them.
- Taco seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- Greek seasoning
- Garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Lemon pepper
- Seasoned salt blend
Can I Use These as a "Bread" for Sandwiches?
While it could be done, I don't find them sturdy enough to use as a base for sandwiches. One way to make them a bit more sturdy is to add a layer of cheese under the tater tots and on top of them to make a crispy layer. This would help hold them together better to create a nice base for a sandwich.
Instead of using it as a sandwich, consider making them like you would a loaded baked potato, Frito pie, or nachos. Load them up with toppings before serving and let them serve as the base for something else you can eat with a fork and not worry about it falling apart as a sandwich might.
- Tater tots (thawed)
- Cooking spray
- Black pepper
Great Waffle Makers
This recipe is best made with a basic waffle iron or waffle maker and not a Belgian waffle iron. The large Belgian waffle iron is harder to fill with the tater tots and won't crisp them the way you really want. Below are some good options if you haven't invested in a waffle maker yet for your own kitchen.
- Black and Decker Rotating Waffle Makers
- Dash Mini Waffle Maker
- Dash Multi-Mini 4 Waffle Maker
- Sandwich Maker 3-in-1 Waffle Maker with Convertible Plates
- Cuisinart Single Waffle Maker
How to Make Tater Tot Waffle Sticks
Preheat the waffle maker according to manufacturer directions.
Once hot, spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
Lay the tater tots onto the bottom of the waffle maker in a single layer making sure you cover most of the base.
Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, or chosen spice blend.
Press down the waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes.
Check and press the waffle maker don more so the tater tots stick together.
Continue cooking for 7 to 8 minutes until they are at your desired crispness.
Carefully remove from the waffle maker and season additionally, if desired.
Repeat as many times as needed.
Cut into sticks, or serve whole with your favorite dipping sauce.
More Easy Recipes
If you want more delicious recipes to add to your meal plan, we have tons to check out. Whether it is an easy snack or a side dish, below are some great options that are sure to please everyone at your dinner table.
- Easiest Canadian Poutine You'll Ever Make
- Baked Homemade Accordion Waffle Fries Recipe
- The Best Cheesy Homemade Garlic Bread Recipe
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Bagels Recipe
- Crescent Roll Mini Deep Dish Pizza Recipes
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Tortilla Wrap Recipe
- 32-ounce tater tots, thawed (907 gm)
- 1 tsp salt (5 gm)
- 1 tsp black ppper (5 gm)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the waffle maker according to manufacturer directions.
- Once hot, spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the tater tots onto the bottom of the waffle maker in a single layer making sure you cover most of the base.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, or chosen spice blend.
- Press down the waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes.
- Check and press the waffle maker don more so the tater tots stick together.
- Continue cooking for 7 to 8 minutes until they are at your desired crispness.
- Carefully remove from the waffle maker and season additionally, if desired.
- Repeat as many times as needed.
- Cut into sticks, or serve whole with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Thaw the tater tots overnight before making these for the best results.
- This can also be made with sweet potato tots, broccoli tots, and cauliflower tots.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OSTBA Sandwich Maker 3-in-1 Waffle Iron, 750W Panini Press Grill with 3 Detachable Non-stick Plates, LED Indicator Lights, Cool Touch Handle, Easy to Clean
Dash DMMW400GBGT04 Multi Mini Four Waffle Maker: Perfect for Families and Individuals, 4 Inch Dual Non-stick Sides with Quick Release & Easy to Clean, Graphite
Dash DMW100GP, Mini Waffle Maker Machine for Individuals, Paninis, Hash Browns, & Other On the Go Breakfast, Lunch, or Snacks, with Easy to Clean, Non-Stick Sides, 4 Inch, Purple Galaxy
BLACK+DECKER Rotating Waffle Maker, Black, WMD200B
Cuisinart WAF-V100 Waffle Iron, Single, Silver
Cook with Color Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1631mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g