Pancakes for breakfast? What about waffles? No maybe french toast? Do you know when you just can't decide what you want? Now you don't have to. have all of the breakfast classics in one bite. This waffle pancake French toast, called a Panwaffle, brings together all of these together. And if you haven't tried it yet, you are missing out.
Waffle Pancake French Toast Recipe
Waffles are a great alternative to pancakes, but pan waffles take it one step further. They're waffle-pancake hybrids that combine the best of both worlds into one delicious dish. Then you take them and fry them in french toast batter and it is a bite of heaven. You might be ready to look at me a little sideways, but I am telling you, this is what you need in your life! But you can't have it delivered. You need to use this recipe and make them yourself.
Of course, if you want traditional - we have a great Belgian waffle recipe, fluffy pancake recipe, or classic French toast recipe. In our house though, sometimes you just want them all in one unique bite!
What is a Waffle Pancake French Toast?
The "panwaffle" combination is exactly what you think it is. You prepare both waffles and pancakes, then make a waffle pancake sandwich, that you dip into French toast batter and fry up.
It sounds crazy, and perhaps is a bit over the top, but what better to do than make something fun for the kids that is delicious? Of course, this is a hit!
What Toppings Go With This French Toast?
There are always the basics that go with french toast. Butter and syrup are classic. You can try different flavor syrups, for a different flare. Below are some ideas that we really like when making this dish for our family.
- Maple syrup, pancake syrup, honey, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, or fruit syrups.
- Fresh strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or peaches.
- Canned pie filling such as blueberry, cherry, apple, or peach.
- Sliced bananas.
- Pecans, walnuts, or macadamia nuts.
- Chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, cinnamon chips, or white chocolate chips.
Note: Many of these can also be added to the pancake batter so you have a surprise in every bite!
What Should I Serve with Panwaffle French Toast?
A pawaffle is a lot all by itself, but if you are like me, it isn't a full breakfast without extra protein on the side. Below are some favorite additions that are always welcome alongside waffles, pancakes, French toast, or this fun combination meal.
If you want the full meal experience, add a side of scrambled eggs or a piece of this vegetable bacon frittata. I like country potatoes or these waffle tater tots on the side if I don't have time to make homemade hashbrowns.
- Pancake mix
- Waffle mix
- 6 eggs
- Vanilla extract
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make a Waffle Pancake French Toast
Following package directions or your own preferred recipe, make enough of each batter for 8 pancakes and 4 waffles. You will need extra large pancakes.
Heat your waffle maker according to manufacturer directions. Spray with non-stick spray if necessary.
Prepare waffles as directed by mix or waffle maker directions then set them aside. Repeat until you have a total of 8 pancakes. Set aside.
Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat, then spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour ¼ of the pancake batter onto the hot skillet or griddle.
Place the cooked waffle into the center of the batter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the pancake batter is cooked through. Repeat until all waffles have been used.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar.
In the skillet or griddle used for the pancakes, melt the butter over medium heat.
Dip each of the pancake waffles into the French toast batter.
Then fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side in the melted butter. Repeat until all have been cooked.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
Where do all the new crazy recipe trends come from these days? TikTok of course. This recipe is viral on the app and you can see why. Once you try it you are going to know why there are millions of views on anything to do with them.
You can definitely make the pawaffle ahead of time and freeze it for future meals. You can make the pancakes and waffles, then cool them and freeze them to assemble later. Another option is to prepare them completely, then allow them to cool and freeze. When ready to eat, you just assemble or heat through. They are good for up to 4 months in the freezer.
In general, pancakes or waffles are good for up to 5 days after preperation. As this pawaffle in French toast batter, I recommend eating within 3 days for the best flavor.
More Breakfast Recipes
If you need more breakfast inspiration, we have tons of fantastic recipes for you to choose from. Make sure you bookmark, pin, or print the recipes below to add to your meal plan soon.
- 30 Sweet and Savory Brunch Recipes You'll Love
- Copycat Cinnamon Roll Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Savory Sausage Stuffed French Toast Roll Ups
- Decadent Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Italian Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups prepared pancake batter
- 3 cups prepared waffle batter
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Following package directions or your own preferred recipe, make enough of each batter for 8 pancakes and 4 waffles. You will need extra large pancakes.
- Heat your waffle maker according to manufacturer directions. Spray with non-stick spray if necessary.
- Prepare waffles as directed by mix or waffle maker directions then set them aside. Repeat until you have a total of 8 pancakes. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat, then spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ of the pancake batter onto the hot skillet or griddle and place the cooked waffle into the center of the batter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the pancake batter is cooked through. Repeat until all waffles have been used.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar.
- In the skillet or griddle used for the pancakes, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Dip each of the pancake waffles into the French toast batter, then fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side in the melted butter. Repeat until all have been cooked.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Be careful to keep the heat at medium and not have too hot a pan or griddle when making the French toast. If it starts to burn, reduce the heat and rinse out the pan between each French toast. Add 1 teaspoon butter to melt between each batch if this is the case.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Pancake Spatula Silicone Turner for Nonstick Cookware. Flexible Extra Wide Spatula for Pancake, Egg and Omelette. Large Pancake Flipper. Heat Resistant for Kitchen.
Oster Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel (CKSTWF2000) 10 Inch
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 16.75 Inch, Black
Ayesha Curry Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet With Helper Handle, 12 Inch Frying Pan with Glass Lid, Twilight Teal
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 976Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 487mgSodium: 1482mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 31g